User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    My thoughts exactly.....

But then they couldn't do Clone Wars TV series and such.

But Ani does show the perils of inferior Ni....
    True, and his character was better explored in the series. Point is, if they'd done a better job with the films, then they wouldn't have needed the series to flesh out the characters. I'd much rather see a show that focuses on Anakin/Vader's early years as a sith. Rebels and Clone Wars are fine, but a much bolder, braver approach would be a series that is viewed from the villains' perspectives. Ya know, Scarface, say good night to de bad guy.

However I did like how Clone Wars had an episode that explored the early relationship between Anakin and Tarkin. Makes more sense when you then see IV and Tarkin is the only Imperial with the power or balls to actually stand on equal ground with Vader. I love how Tarkin is never once intimidated by Vader.

People forget Vader is basically just a glorified henchman in IV, 1 step above Boba Fett; the character development didn't really start until the end of Empire.
    Likes Cellmold, SearchingforPeace liked this post

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I think Star Wars attracts more S types. I have been noticing this of late. They are the ones who really seem to dig it, more than N types.

N types seem to prefer Star Trek and James Bond. Not sure why?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Likes asynartetic liked this post

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I think Star Wars attracts more S types. I have been noticing this of late. They are the ones who really seem to dig it, more than N types.

While Star Wars is very S, especially episode 7, I don't think there is a S/N division on the Star Trek vs Star Wars divide...
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984
    Likes Cellmold, asynartetic liked this post

Damn American Cowboy Reborn Relic's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I actually liked the fact that it reused a lot of things--there's a certain imprint, or resonance I guess, that I felt because of that, and it was nice. And you still got interesting and novel aspects because of Han being Obi-Wan, the switching up of who was whose father, and so on. I really did enjoy that.

As for Ren, there's still a lot we don't know, and two other movies for flashbacks and explanations to fill in the blanks. My gut says they won't go into it, but I can be wrong. :p

As for Anakin, it isn't too hard to make him work. Some added lines before he kills the Tuskan raiders, some political dialogue, and boom. Given that the prequels do tend to gloss over politics, I think that all stands a reasonable chance of having happened.
    Likes SearchingforPeace, asynartetic liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    True, and his character was better explored in the series. Point is, if they'd done a better job with the films, then they wouldn't have needed the series to flesh out the characters. I'd much rather see a show that focuses on Anakin/Vader's early years as a sith. Rebels and Clone Wars are fine, but a much bolder, braver approach would be a series that is viewed from the villains' perspectives. Ya know, Scarface, say good night to de bad guy.

However I did like how Clone Wars had an episode that explored the early relationship between Anakin and Tarkin. Makes more sense when you then see IV and Tarkin is the only Imperial with the power or balls to actually stand on equal ground with Vader. I love how Tarkin is never once intimidated by Vader.

People forget Vader is basically just a glorified henchman in IV, 1 step above Boba Fett; the character development didn't really start until the end of Empire.
    Moff iz mah mane m4n! Fav char.

Whut? U iz l3ss s4ane by tha day ladee!

ps: INTP huh? Ah wuntz doze drugz u tak! Ahm c1osur 2 INTP dan u!
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Darth is outside the established hierarchy. Until episode 4, the Republic is still functioning. Palpatine is emperor but can't rule without consent of the governed. Only in episode 4 does the plan for military dictatorship take full force. Even then, some generals wonder if it is reasonable....

The death of Tarkin at the Death Star was sad. He was a great character and his ability to hold a leash on Vader was great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Not sure about the Bond, but Trek goes far deeper than Wars in exploring concepts, ideas, moral gray areas, etc.

Star Wars is what I watch when I want mindless fun. I watch Trek because it makes me think about and/or question a variety of ideas and issues.

Trek (at its best) is basically a forum for discussing topical issues, philosophy, etc without doing so in a manner that is too overt or obvious, but enough that people looking for it will appreciate it. When people who don't like Trek complain that it's just a bunch of technobabble and talking, it's very clear they're missing the point*.

Star Wars is more about timeless, universal themes pertaining to the good vs evil aka the Hero's Journey, but it doesn't go too deep into specific issues. In that sense, it has staying power, whereas Trek is more contextual to the era in which any given episode or film was produced.

* - Also, these people should watch DS9 which has its fair share of epic space battles and multiple interweaving hero's journey arcs.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    Darth is outside the established hierarchy. Until episode 4, the Republic is still functioning. Palpatine is emperor but can't rule without consent of the governed. Only in episode 4 does the plan for military dictatorship take full force. Even then, some generals wonder if it is reasonable....

The death of Tarkin at the Death Star was sad. He was a great character and his ability to hold a leash on Vader was great.
    Yeah. Of course we kind of see Vader unleashed to his full badassery in V without Tarkin holding the leash.
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Not sure about the Bond, but Trek goes far deeper than Wars in exploring concepts, ideas, moral gray areas, etc.

Star Wars is what I watch when I want mindless fun. I watch Trek because it makes me think about and/or question a variety of ideas and issues.

Trek (at its best) is basically a forum for discussing topical issues, philosophy, etc without doing so in a manner that is too overt or obvious, but enough that people looking for it will appreciate it. When people who don't like Trek complain that it's just a bunch of technobabble and talking, it's very clear they're missing the point*.

Star Wars is more about timeless, universal themes pertaining to the good vs evil aka the Hero's Journey, but it doesn't go too deep into specific issues. In that sense, it has staying power, whereas Trek is more contextual to the era in which any given episode or film was produced.

* - Also, these people should watch DS9 which has its fair share of epic space battles and multiple interweaving hero's journey arcs.
    So it sounds like a confirmation of the S and N demographic I stated with Wars vs Trek.

I say Bond because S and N types both like it, but I think N types can become more loyal to it. There are a lot of twists and turns in it that S types might not care as much for. Puns also.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Also, if I had to choose one universe to live in, I'd pick Trek over Wars any day of the week.