User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    INtP

I agreed with almost all of the points the video-maker in Crabs' link mentioned. I guess I should put this in spoiler tags...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

We're basically all agreeing that this movie was enjoyable to watch but generally sucked and was over hyped.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    We're basically all agreeing that this movie was enjoyable to watch but generally sucked and was over hyped.
    I didn't think it sucked. I just think the criticisms are valid. A thing can have flaws and still be good.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    I thought it was freakin awesome. I didn't see the hype though... & never watch trailers ... so ... could be why i didn't get the hype.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Soo coming back to my constructive review. Here are some random thoughts.

There is atmosphere similar to old movies which I like. Emphasis on the characters, dialogues and action.

The plot is a bit lame. I mean it’s quite simple, they try to find Luke and bad guys are trying to kill them. I laughed a little that 2nd part will be on the hill with Luke and 3rd will be Luke coming home.
    Still it didn’t bother me much, because it was fun.

I liked seeing old characters, still hoped it will not be mostly about them, it could destroy the new film. I think though they balanced it well enough. It was tribute to old trilogy and their fans, but hopefully started something new too.

I see some plots are repeated, what's more I think that new characters in the way are replacing old onces.
    Ray is suppose to replace Luke.
    Poe is suppose to replace Han Solo

Ben/Kylo Ren is clearly a replacement for Anakin/Dark Vader. Will he come to the light side and die too? Very likely
    Finn is something new , which is good.
    There is no replacement for Yoda. I kind of have some hope that Maz Kanata survived- she looked as someone weird and funny enough (sorry Master Yoda). Apparently saying that she woke up somewhere and there was no one would be explanation good enough, so…

Aw the new robot is cute.

Also I hope that Ray isn't the Luke daughter (too much of family story) and she is just new strong force in the universe, but we'll see.

To sum up, the plot is far from being perfect, but it’s still good movie and promising beginning of the story.

Edit: Also I'm not sure how someone as emotionally unstable as Kylo Ren is able to use any force...
    Last edited by Kas; 01-02-2016 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling disability
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

MBTI
    INTP

I saw it in 3D yesterday, and the effect was very well done....I would highly recommend people watch it in imax, even if they've seen it already.

Brief thoughts: WARNING, MINOR SPOLIERS

I'm glad I was already burnt out on certain George Lucas and EU plot elements, I was able to watch it without my inner fanboy raging at any of the changes or plot decisions. In my mind, there is no longer any canon, just alternate realities.

Poe seems like a combination of Han Solo and Wedge Antilles....I'm cool with that, I hope he gets a lot more screen time in the sequels.

I love Rey, but I confess I often have a thing for Mary Sues. Anyway, she's my favorite new character (Poe and the impractically designed robot are tied for second).

Finn was okay, I liked the less-than-bad-ass direction they took, but he also had some....questionable moments.

Ben was underwhelming, I hope he becomes a Dark Side bad-ass after committing a certain act.

Very much like Episode IV; there will probably be a backlash for towards the thin characterization, moral simplicity and regurgitated elements.....but there was no Jar-Jar Binks or emo adolescent Anakin Skywalker to poison most of the movie. Not as good as the originals, but better than the prequels (aside from the lightsaber duels).

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I liked Kanata. As I said, the movie is at its best when it really embraces the new characters. It dragged when it focused too much on old characters.
    Likes Xann liked this post

When Han was using Chewie's blaster, that was another instance of fan service where I felt Han was playing the role of fanboy thrown in the film. I found it hard to believe he'd never once used Chewie's rifle after decades together.
    Likes Crabs liked this post

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    When Han was using Chewie's blaster, that was another instance of fan service where I felt Han was playing the role of fanboy thrown in the film. I found it hard to believe he'd never once used Chewie's rifle after decades together.
    That annoyed me. That was JJ Abrams being himself.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    It never occurred to me, but it is extremely unlikely. He would have used it at least once. But yeah, I think the stuff with Han Solo is the biggest problem with the film.

He's put in there as an answer to fan complaints about the lack of a similar character in the prequels, but the way it's written doesn't really make sense to me. His entire character development is just ignored and he's basically the way he was when he first met him. It felt off to me. I don't buy the fact that he went back to being a smuggler. They just put that in there because that was the version of the character the fans most wanted to see... the guy that would "shoot first."
    Likes asynartetic liked this post