User Tag List

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions (PS3)

Intrigued by what I saw in the gamer magazine Game Informer, I recently purchased a copy of the retro-game Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions which is available only for digital download. Some online game reviewers are saying that the game is too hard (whine) or boring (whine whine). Well, welcome to the world of the old-style arcade game. But at least you get infinite game plays for your money, whereas we back in the old days had to keep pumping in quarters in order to get another repetition of the same old levels that we couldn't pass on the previous quarters. And there was no save point.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions is a beautiful game, and rather than too hard or boring, let's just say that it is very, very challenging. But in that respect, the game is also simple to play in that it only uses two control sticks, one for each thumb, and occasionally the L2 and R2 buttons. Here's an example pic from the game:

That picture really says it all. You're literally surrounded by enemies, and remnants from explosions, but you have the advantage of being able to fire in various directions no matter which direction your ship is pointed. So if you're being followed by an enemy shape then you just point the joystick backwards and blast the little bastard into smithereens. And then, for a small bonus, turn around and collect the green "geoms" that it leaves behind in order to increase your point multiplier.

Some reviewers complain that collecting the geoms (those tiny green things on the lower left side of the picture above) is more risk than it is worth. It is claimed that if you do collect them, you're screwed because you get killed; and if you don't collect them, you don't earn enough points to beat the level. However, I'm finding to the contrary that it is relatively simple to avoid enemies while collecting geoms, and those that are too risky to collect won't cost you very much in the long run. Also, the reviewers neglect to mention that the geoms are attracted to your ship, so that all you have to do to collect a geom is to come within a short range of it, you don't have to run over it.

All in all, I'm finding that Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions (PS3) was worth the $15 I spent on it.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

One reviewer stated that he mostly keeps his ship next to a wall and defends his position. But that's a lamer strategy which definitely doesn't work. Even moving around while hugging the wall won't work, and it is terrible practice for those many levels which don't have any walls.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I've defeated a lot of levels and I've collected 33 stars in this game. I need two more stars to move on to the next level. I played co-op mode with some kid that my step-daughter invited over yesterday, and he said it was a good game. I'm thinking of recording myself playing the game and posting it to youtube.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Intrigued by what I saw in the gamer magazine Game Informer, I recently purchased a copy of the retro-game Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions which is available only for digital download. Some online game reviewers are saying that the game is too hard (whine) or boring (whine whine). Well, welcome to the world of the old-style arcade game. But at least you get infinite game plays for your money, whereas we back in the old days had to keep pumping in quarters in order to get another repetition of the same old levels that we couldn't pass on the previous quarters. And there was no save point.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions is a beautiful game, and rather than too hard or boring, let's just say that it is very, very challenging. But in that respect, the game is also simple to play in that it only uses two control sticks, one for each thumb, and occasionally the L2 and R2 buttons. Here's an example pic from the game:

That picture really says it all. You're literally surrounded by enemies, and remnants from explosions, but you have the advantage of being able to fire in various directions no matter which direction your ship is pointed. So if you're being followed by an enemy shape then you just point the joystick backwards and blast the little bastard into smithereens. And then, for a small bonus, turn around and collect the green "geoms" that it leaves behind in order to increase your point multiplier.

Some reviewers complain that collecting the geoms (those tiny green things on the lower left side of the picture above) is more risk than it is worth. It is claimed that if you do collect them, you're screwed because you get killed; and if you don't collect them, you don't earn enough points to beat the level. However, I'm finding to the contrary that it is relatively simple to avoid enemies while collecting geoms, and those that are too risky to collect won't cost you very much in the long run. Also, the reviewers neglect to mention that the geoms are attracted to your ship, so that all you have to do to collect a geom is to come within a short range of it, you don't have to run over it.

All in all, I'm finding that Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions (PS3) was worth the $15 I spent on it.
    The kind of game I might play...
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Just waiting to burst out.
    There world is a goldmine-
    That will melt tomorrow."M83

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Update: about the complaint I've read online about collecting geoms vs. risking ship destruction, these gamers or so-called gamers did not play the game long enough. One of my ship upgrades included a nice little companion which zips around the screen collecting geoms for me. Also, it fires about one round a second while my ship is firing. And one of the temporary upgrades causes it to fire off rounds like a little mo-fo for up to about 30 seconds.

People, play the game before putting your stupid game reviews on your stupid blogs.