User Tag List

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Default Over the Garden Wall

Who has watched this 10 episode cartoon miniseries? I had been waiting for it for a while (Rebecca Sugar, creator of Steven Universe had been making noise about it which is how I found out about it), and holy crap is this good. One of the best cartoons I have watched in a long time. Storyboard writers from Adventure Time teamed up to make this. Elijah Wood voices one of the main characters too.

I can't really explain the story too much without giving it away. The best I can say is it involves two brothers making their way through the woods to get back home. It is the most perfect blend of dark, funny, eerie, and depth I have found in a long time. The animation is so top notch too. They put so much small detail in everything that really brings it together.

So, who's seen it and absolutely loves it?! They have the first episode up on youtube for free! I really really highly recommend it.

Tagging people who I think might like it (if they haven't already seen it): @Evee, @Chanaynay, @five sounds, @Ivy, @GarrotTheThief, @Vasilisa, @ReadingRainbows.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes cm81, DulcetRefrain liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I've seen this on Tumblr but never considered watching it because it doesn't look like my thing.

I watched the video though. I like the older brother and the dog (but I guess the dog isn't gonna make another appearance).

Other than that, I didn't laugh. Except for the part where the little kid is like "IT'S A ROCK FACT" idk why. I think I'd appreciate the art style more if they delivered more humor with the dialogue, but for now it just seems cutesy.

I guess it's a little tame for me. But I can see why some would like it! I guess I'm too accustomed to anime now, but some western cartoons that are more up my alley in my experience are Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, Kim Possible, Teen Titans, Avatar the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra, Danny Phantom, 6teen, Totally Spies, Powerpuff Girls, Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy, or Courage the Cowardly Dog. This reminds me more of something like...Flapjack. But who knows it may not be my style and it just doesn't jive with me.

If I can stream another episode or two I'll still give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    I've seen this on Tumblr but never considered watching it because it doesn't look like my thing.

I watched the video though. I like the older brother and the dog (but I guess the dog isn't gonna make another appearance).

Other than that, I didn't laugh. Except for the part where the little kid is like "IT'S A ROCK FACT" idk why. I think I'd appreciate the art style more if they delivered more humor with the dialogue, but for now it just seems cutesy.

I guess it's a little tame for me. But I can see why some would like it! I guess I'm too accustomed to anime now, but some western cartoons that are more up my alley in my experience are Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, Kim Possible, Teen Titans, Avatar the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra, Danny Phantom, 6teen, Totally Spies, Powerpuff Girls, Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy, or Courage the Cowardly Dog. This reminds me more of something like...Flapjack. But who knows it may not be my style and it just doesn't jive with me.

If I can stream another episode or two I'll still give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes it is very paralled to Flapjack and I LOOOOOVE flapjack! I was so sad when it was canceled. I don't actually laugh much at Over the Garden Wall (to me the humor is just an extra layer that sounds it out). I am more just enthralled with the mood, tone, style, and story that it tells. I actually seldom watch tv or movies for the lulz (I'm not a very humerous person).

Ah, most of those shows I am not a big fan of (I flat out hate tom and jerry). I do LOVE Courage though. One of my all time favorite shows.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Yes it is very paralled to Flapjack and I LOOOOOVE flapjack! I was so sad when it was canceled. I don't actually laugh much at Over the Garden Wall (to me the humor is just an extra layer that sounds it out). I am more just enthralled with the mood, tone, style, and story that it tells. I actually seldom watch tv or movies for the lulz (I'm not a very humerous person).
    Ah, see I usually start watching western stuff for just lighthearted entertainment. Although some of the shows I listed turn out to be surprisingly dramatic and emotional like Teen Titans, ATLA, or Courage. Here's one of my favorites.

But yeah, even though I didn't enjoy the first episode that much I'm willing to continue watching for the MC. He seems like a giant lovable nerd so watching him develop might be cool.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Likes Hard, Masokissed liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Bump. I absolutely loved it and feel like it hasn't gotten enough attention.
    I want my cake and I wanna eat it too
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Dispenser View Post
    Bump. I absolutely loved it and feel like it hasn't gotten enough attention.
    It's in the same vein as several other well loved shows.

Likes Masokissed liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've heard good things. I am definitely putting this on my list.
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I've heard good things. I am definitely putting this on my list.
    I actually recommend waiting until October and when the leaves begin to turn. It will make it that much better. It's very much a "fall" kinda mini series.