User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I can understand that. And I understand how it can have a driving, stimulating effect. But calming? Every bit of research I've read, combined with my own experience, seems to indicate that the louder and faster the music is, the more of a taxing effect it has on the brain. It produces an adrenaline rush, and puts the nervous system in a state of excitement. That's why people get whipped into a frenzy at rock concerts, whereas that's much less likely to happen at a performance of chamber music.
    Sometimes it's good for a laugh.

1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz
    Likes freeeekyyy liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    It's essentially because of what they feel at that time. I have noticed when I am hyped up, either in excitement or sexual or anger/irritation I am most likely to enjoy rap music at that time, and I don't like it if I am sad or tired or just peaceful/content. I honestly wonder if men like rap more because of testosterone (like how they're more likely to be vulnerable after sex because of a drop in testosterone).
    I feel the same way about rap.

Not sure what you mean about testosterone drop in relation to it tho.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Retired

i can hear music coming out of my printer. i think the paper's jammin' again.
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I feel the same way about rap.

Not sure what you mean about testosterone drop in relation to it tho.
    Testosterone makes people more competitive and aggressive. Supposedly after sex men are more vulnerable because the drop in testosterone allows oxytocin bonding (therefore the stereotypes of women being more sentimental or romantic). I have long thought SP women may have higher testosterone making them more competitive in sports, business, arguments, fights, sex, etc.

In a completely unrelated note I decided today that "style" is the SP way of making reality more tolerable. Is it possible no type really has a better handle on reality? Se types use style to make reality more tolerable, to make the disturbing more bearable, the hyper real is actually a blend of Se/Ni, making the real too real to be real.

It's nice to listen to someone else scream furiously. That way, I don't have to.

I FEEL ALRIGHT

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Testosterone makes people more competitive and aggressive. Supposedly after sex men are more vulnerable because the drop in testosterone allows oxytocin bonding (therefore the stereotypes of women being more sentimental or romantic). I have long thought SP women may have higher testosterone making them more competitive in sports, business, arguments, fights, sex, etc.

In a completely unrelated note I decided today that "style" is the SP way of making reality more tolerable. Is it possible no type really has a better handle on reality? Se types use style to make reality more tolerable, to make the disturbing more bearable, the hyper real is actually a blend of Se/Ni, making the real too real to be real.
    I put extra oxytocin in my smoothies.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I don't have the answer myself, I've never noticed this in myself before.

But, maybe it could be the person sort of living through the band or singer, and that said band or singer is releasing all of that emotion and bad energy for them.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    It helps them get the anger out.
    Some people have trouble processing things like anger, and so an outlet that is not "threatening" or "shameful", such as entertainment, can help them surface the emotion and the dispel it.
    They will feel calmer as a result, of course.

It's a similar effect to when someone validates you emotionally and empathizes with you. It can not only clarify a feeling (instead of a cloudy bad feeling, it is clearly "anger" now), but also help it subside so you can be more clear-headed again (the emotion releases, and now the trigger can be dealt with calmly).
    I experienced this a lot during my high school years and up until I was about 20. Learning how to process anger is something that I've only been consciously doing for about 3 years. I recognize now that I had tons of repressed anger as a youth, but back then I didn't even realize I was angry at all, let alone what I was angry about... I just didn't recognize what the emotion was when I felt it in my body. I started listening to a lot of metal around freshman year of high school and I remember what I first loved about it (aside from some of the ridiculously impressive musical talent) was that it seemed to reflect all these deeply intense feelings that I had been feeling but wasn't able to express. It was like a weight had been lifted in that moment because it was ok to feel that way.

I'm 25 now and in a much more positive place emotionally. I still enjoy a lot of instrumental metal stuff but screaming/vocals annoy the crap out of me (I wouldn't have preferred screaming/vocals in metal songs before, but they wouldn't have hindered my enjoyment of the music either, like they do now). I think that I enjoy hearing some of those songs still because it makes me happy to reminisce about my childhood, but recently I've come to the conclusion that I just can't relate to that message anymore. I am very grateful to have had that music as an outlet at the time, and I am very grateful to not relate so much to it anymore as well, although I will always have a fondness in my heart for those days

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Angry music doesn't "calm" me, but I often find it to be more complex, and thus, entertaining to my brain.

It just depends.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    i can hear music coming out of my printer. i think the paper's jammin' again.
    Dot matrix make the best music.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window