User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Classic rock wouldn't be classified as angry music. Think death and black metal.
    OP didn't specifically talk about death and black metal; just "angry, frenetic music." For my generation, that would be Black Sabbath and other old heavy metal. Which I find relaxing.

ETA: Maybe my previous post wasn't clear; I was saying that Black Sabbath is relaxing to me, whereas all those other types of music (classical, jazz, opera) irritate and distress me because they're unfamiliar to me. But of course another generation would have the reverse opinion.

As for death and black metal, I could get into it but haven't bothered. Mainly I just find it kind of monotonous. (But I like Metallica and all that, which is kind of in that direction.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

It helps them get the anger out.
    Some people have trouble processing things like anger, and so an outlet that is not "threatening" or "shameful", such as entertainment, can help them surface the emotion and the dispel it.
    They will feel calmer as a result, of course.

It's a similar effect to when someone validates you emotionally and empathizes with you. It can not only clarify a feeling (instead of a cloudy bad feeling, it is clearly "anger" now), but also help it subside so you can be more clear-headed again (the emotion releases, and now the trigger can be dealt with calmly).

Someone mentioned familiarity, and I think that's part of it too. If they generally like a certain kind of music, then familiarity in style can be soothing.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Suppose you have a fair bit of anger bottled up. Then, angry music will allow this anger to take expression through artistic form. This has a relaxing effect.

I became more irritable when I stopped listening to metal.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    It helps them get the anger out.
    Some people have trouble processing things like anger, and so an outlet that is not "threatening" or "shameful", such as entertainment, can help them surface the emotion and the dispel it.
    They will feel calmer as a result, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Suppose you have a fair bit of anger bottled up. Then, angry music will allow this anger to take expression through artistic form. This has a relaxing effect.
    This explains a lot, actually. My friend comes across as a really happy, positive person, which is why it surprised me when I found out he listens to punk and death metal and such. However, he also had a crappy childhood and has a lot of resentment toward his parents that never really comes out as anger; more like snarky, passive-aggressive remarks. He never seems to get visibly upset about anything. Maybe he does process his anger through the music he listens to.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

I'm listening to screamo right now and it's a little bit therapeutic. I've felt like screaming all week. When I'm stressed, or just kind of pissy they stimulation is helpful for me. If I listen to something slow and calming I just feel twitchy, restless, and bored. But if I'm upset, like distraught or emotional I usually like melancholy music.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes five sounds liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Angry music is never appealing to me. When I am mad listening to something angry just amplifies it and makes it worse. That said when I am angry I do not want to listen to something calm, I will prefer something more intense.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Angry music is never appealing to me. When I am mad listening to something angry just amplifies it and makes it worse.
    Same here.

When I am angry or stressed, I do prefer slow, calm music. At the end of a stressful day, nothing soothes my frayed nerves as well as one of Mozart's piano sonatas. And maybe a cup of tea. And valium. (Kidding about that last part.)

Retired

aggressive actions of the subject reinforce the association between anger and angry behaviors, creating a recursive snowball effect that generates more anger. therefore, some ways of achieving temporary catharsis tend to backfire in the long run. however, you can listen to music that resonates with subjective thoughts and feelings (sometimes latent) to provide the external validation necessary to soothe you. when the song stops, you can just carry on without the need to prove your indignation, knowing something else can provide a compartmentalized outlet.

while not directly related, it reminds me of how extraversion is linked to the function of dopamine... some people prefer living a higher octane lifestyle to feel energized and complete.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Almost every kind of music calms me down. But if I'm angry hardcore punk rock helps me vent and relax the best, and melodic metal makes my brain work so much and so fast that exhausts me and calms me down. I used to be able to fall asleep just with that kind of music. And now that I think about it.... I haven't been listening to music at all lately, and that's probably preventing me to sleep now. Thank you, this post reminded me of that. I hopefully will be able to sleep again.
    I think that's what happens when you are the daughter of an (ex) heavy metal musician and you are used to fall asleep in your baby carriage while your dad was sliding bottles of beer on his guitar.

Personality traits: a summary by Yar'Chun
    Introverted - Independent bitch
    Extraverted - Weak
    Intuitive - Creative 4th dimension spacelord
    Sensing - Dumb
    Feeling - Such confused wow
    Thinking - Smart
    Judjing - Nel mio intimo c'è Chilly
    Perceiving - Oooh butterflies

Likes Thalassa liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's essentially because of what they feel at that time. I have noticed when I am hyped up, either in excitement or sexual or anger/irritation I am most likely to enjoy rap music at that time, and I don't like it if I am sad or tired or just peaceful/content. I honestly wonder if men like rap more because of testosterone (like how they're more likely to be vulnerable after sex because of a drop in testosterone).

I like some "angry" music from the 90s because I was a teenager in the later part of the decade and songs like "Plowed" by Sponge, or some songs by Manson or NIN will really do it for me, kind of as a stress relief, because I can be a high energy, high emotional asshole (I am a Sexual dominant in enneagram) so it can help me RELEASE some of my feelings. This extends into the early 00s with some emo/screamo and stuff like System of a Down, because they're very political (and my nephew loves them too!! 111)

But usually when I want to RELAX I will look to an E9 like Lana del Rey who transmuted all of her anger into sex and sadness ("Tired and Horny" was one YouTube parody of her music) and that really works for me. She's my favorite. Like her and Royksopp and The Knife and a few other things, aside from a lot of 80s New Wave and 60s/70s music.

Yes the Grateful Dead is probably more likely to make me feel peaceful than Megadeath, but maybe what your friend was trying to express is that he needs an outlet for his anger. Horror movies actually relax me in some moods while they would disturb or stress me out in others. I think it's about releasing toxic emotions, not introducing them.
    Likes five sounds, Yaru liked this post