User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Default Beijing Summer Olympics 2008

I can't be the only one excited. It's probably cheesy, but the Olympics give me a chance to see cool new things. And are pretty much the only time I watch sports at all, really.

I've got a bit of a pulse on the Winter Olympics (liked snowboarding, ice skating, and that weird biathalon-thing with the skiing and target practice... and totally became unhealthily obsessed with the curling), but I don't really know what I should watch in the Summer Olympics. Any tips?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    I can't be the only one excited. It's probably cheesy, but the Olympics give me a chance to see cool new things. And are pretty much the only time I watch sports at all, really.

I've got a bit of a pulse on the Winter Olympics (liked snowboarding, ice skating, and that weird biathalon-thing with the skiing and target practice... and totally became unhealthily obsessed with the curling), but I don't really know what I should watch in the Summer Olympics. Any tips?
    See if you can spot the Chinese army sniping Tibetans off the mountain in the distance.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post

You're not the only one - my 15 year-old daughter is very psyched. Yesterday I asked her what was up first - swimming, diving, gymnastics? She didn't know. She's excited about it all.

US usually has strong swimming and one of the American swimmers is getting a lot of attention. Diving and synchronized diving are cool. Track & field can be fun. Just immerse yourself in the offerings. Our local paper has a list of highlights that'll be on that day or the next.

Have fun!
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INtP

I've always enjoyed the olympics too - I'm horribly ashamed to admit it, but the anthem always gets me going. The frustrating thing is that most of what I really would like to see is the sports that never get any coverage elsewhere - things like archery, rowing, canoeing, horse jumping, etc. What we usually get is 9 of 14 evenings of gymnastics/figure skating.

Still, I always look forward to it .

MBTI
    INFP

Events I find oddly compelling:

Weight-lifting
    Female gymnastics
    Diving
    Graeco-roman wrestling (the rules of which are reputed to be known by only 5 ppl on the planet, none of whom are telling)

Then of course there's the men's 100m sprint (aka Which Country Has The Best Steroids This Year).

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I really don't watch a lot of the summer games, but when I do, I enjoy the diving, gymnastics, and swimming. I'm into the winter games more.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Events I find oddly compelling:

Weight-lifting
    Female gymnastics
    Diving
    Graeco-roman wrestling (the rules of which are reputed to be known by only 5 ppl on the planet, none of whom are telling)

Then of course there's the men's 100m sprint (aka Which Country Has The Best Steroids This Year).
    ... Sometimes it's aka Which Country Has Gotten Itself the Most Kenyans, to be fair.

Last summer Olympics I saw women's weightlifting. That was mind-boggling.

MBTI
    ISTx

I haven't watched the Olympics since that female gymnast twisted her ankle on that gnarly jump but still landed it perfectly.

[youtube=KsQcwHc1Jfw](1996)That was a legendary team of gymnasts[/YOUTUBE]

[youtube=n1DNMbDVrBs]Magnificent 7: Atlanta 1996 Montage[/YOUTUBE]

I remember the 1996 Olympics well, because we were there for part of it.

I watched the gymnastics on TV, and I still think it was the most competitive sporting event I have seen.

Here is a recap from the American perspective:
    [youtube=fmy02Rp1fDs]Olympic Champions - Atlanta 1996 Team - USA - Part 1 of 5[/YOUTUBE]
    [youtube=HpMWhtNUCnI]Olympic Champions - Atlanta 1996 Team - USA - Part 2 of 5[/YOUTUBE]
    [youtube=_rdQQSPlc1k]Olympic Champions - Atlanta 1996 Team - USA - Part 3 of 5[/YOUTUBE]
    [youtube=oFpZ9NuyGOo]Olympic Champions - Atlanta 1996 Team - USA - Part 4 of 5[/YOUTUBE]
    [youtube=jlUcwNuFjWo]Olympic Champions - Atlanta 1996 Team - USA - Part 5 of 5[/YOUTUBE]

The Russian and Romanian routines very generally amazing also (as were the Chinese, Ukranian, and the Belarusian routines). But since the U.S. won (and because YouTube is probably still U.S. centric), the U.S. videos were easier to find.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield