User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutSoul View Post
    Greatest Olympian In History! Way to go Phellps!
    What exactly makes him the greatest?
    Because yesterday they said he was going for his 10th medal,
    and then they said that Mark Spitz had 11,
    so I didn't get it.

MBTI
    INTJ

Default answered my own question

FACT BOX

Michael Phelps' two victories at the Beijing Games yesterday saw him surpass the nine Olympic gold medals won by Paavo Nurmi, Carl Lewis, Mark Spitz and Larysa Latynina.

PAAVO NURMI

Brilliant Finnish middle and long-distance runner. Nurmi won a total of nine gold and three silver medals in the 12 events in which he competed at the Olympic Games from 1920 to 1928. In 1932, Nurmi was unable to compete at the Games, as he had received money for his running and was considered a professional.

CARL LEWIS

American Lewis, a dominant force in 100m, 200m and long jump, scorched to nine Olympic golds and one silver between 1984 and 1996.

MARK SPITZ

The legendary Californian took two relay golds in Mexico in 1968, but won a record seven golds at one Games in Munich four years later, setting a world record in each of the seven events.

LARYSA LATYNINA

Ukrainian gymnast is the only athlete in any sport to have amassed 18 career medals. She won her nine golds between 1956 and 1964.

Awesome Phelps sets Olympic gold medal record - The Scotsman

Banned
    MBTI
    type

What does the funny tape the beach volleyball players wear do?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I was also curious about this, and they mentioned it on Kerri Walsh really fast while I wasn't really listening (so I looked it up):

I found this Yahoo answer:
    The black markings on Walsh's shoulder are a sort of medical tape. Specifically, it's called kinesio tape, a special elastic material designed to support muscles while offering an unimpeded range of motion. Walsh had shoulder surgery last fall to remove bone chips, bone spurs and scar tissue that had built up over a lifetime of setting and spiking. The tape, and taping method, help stabilize the shoulder during the match and aids in circulation.
    Black stuff on Kerri Walsh's shoulder? - Yahoo! Answers

On the watching front, the men's all around individual kept me up until 2 am. I don't know why they won't show it live for the Pacific Coast anyway.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

The judges are getting ridiculous in women's gymnastics. Giving higher scores to Chinese when they practically fall off three times vs. an American who aces it.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    The judges are getting ridiculous in women's gymnastics. Giving higher scores to Chinese when they practically fall off three times vs. an American who aces it.
    It's a composite score...

Pretty much a maximum of 7 points in column A for difficulty of elements, with each element counting for a maximum of .7 points... so, ten of the hardest elements get you 7... there are bonus points (.2) for moving directly out of one difficult element to another... but anyway, column A is a max of 7, and the gymnasts are scored cumulatively starting from a default of 0.

And then there is the performance of the routine... the number of mistakes that must be penalized... taken from a beginning score of 10... a fall would count for -.8... etc.

With all of this in mind, it is obvious why the Chinese are doing better... they are generally performing harder routines, so even with falls they're generally still coming out ahead. Also, when I saw the team competition in gymnastics, the Chinese were consistently better than the Americans.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    With all of this in mind, it is obvious why the Chinese are doing better... they are generally performing harder routines, so even with falls they're generally still coming out ahead. Also, when I saw the team competition in gymnastics, the Chinese were consistently better than the Americans.
    Are you watching the individual all-around? Well the commentators were getting pissed too. Right after I posted Nastia Liukin did a great balance beam and got a good score, and she's in first now, so I'm hopeful.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Are you watching the individual all-around? Well the commentators were getting pissed too. Right after I posted Nastia Liukin did a great balance beam and got a good score, and she's in first now, so I'm hopeful.
    Ah, I've not been watching individual... I'll take a gander... Liukin's incredible...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    isfj

since i don't have tv, all these olympics have made me excited for is chinese food, which is not chinese by chinese standards at all.
    just throw it against the wall and see what sticks.

WOO NASTIA LIUKIN AND SHAWN JOHNSON! HOWEVER YOU SPELL THEIR NAMES! WOO!

Wow. I freaking LOVE watching this stuff. Wow. They did SO well. I try to keep my bias for the American gymnasts to a minimum and try to appreciate what the other girls do right, but I doubt I do a very good job of it. I'm proud of all those gymnasts, though.

The adrenaline and nervousness and exhilaration they must feel when competing!
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love