• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Beijing Summer Olympics 2008

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Yeah it was.

She was adorable when they talked to her after the finish. I forgot her name though.

Shelly-Ann Fraser

Team GB finally punching above their weight. For a little country, we rock. Especially at all the posh sports like sailing :)
I think I read that, with the last gold medal in track that it won, GB now has had its best Olympics in a century.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Usain Bolt decimated the field in the Men's track 100m final. He was 2 to 3 meters ahead at the line. I don't know if they've done the 200m yet, but he either won it or he's going to.
He just broke the world record in the 200m. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the 400 as well.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One of the Chinese divers looks emaciated. She said she was moved from gymnastics to diving because she "doesn't like to eat" and "keeps her weight down". That poor girl looks horrible. Why is no one intervening? Her teammate looks perfectly fine, typical rangy Asian little girl with some proper padding on her.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He just broke the world record in the 200m. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the 400 as well.

If he does take gold for the 400, then he really will have a historic claim to make.

In other news, the USA women's beach volleyball team became the first team to win gold back-to-back. They also have some ridiculous winning streak, like 108 games. I'm not even sure if they lost a set in these Olympic. Let me see that I'm quite disappointed that they won. I don't know about you, but I'm one of those people that really hates it when a team dominates. I feel like there's nothing to watch when it's so one sided, and I get reallu tired of hearing about the winning team. The same thing happened for me with the Yankees years ago.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
They said on TV that May and Walsh haven't lost a set at the Olympics, 2004 or 2008.

I get tired of the repeated hypberbole in sports coverage. When I see something special, I don't need to be reminded again and again that it's special. But I don't necessarily mind dominance if it's based on talent (and not money like it may be in baseball).

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If he does take gold for the 400, then he really will have a historic claim to make.

In other news, the USA women's beach volleyball team became the first team to win gold back-to-back. They also have some ridiculous winning streak, like 108 games. I'm not even sure if they lost a set in these Olympic. Let me see that I'm quite disappointed that they won. I don't know about you, but I'm one of those people that really hates it when a team dominates. I feel like there's nothing to watch when it's so one sided, and I get reallu tired of hearing about the winning team. The same thing happened for me with the Yankees years ago.
Domination is so rare. If it happens involving people/teams I don't care about (like the Olympics) I like to see it.

Unless there is a huge underdog upset. But you can't get those without domination first.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Those american athletes need some practices on the baton changes. Ok, so do the Brits... but not quite as awful :D

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Those american athletes need some practices on the baton changes. Ok, so do the Brits... but not quite as awful :D
That was sad, I think USA would have won [that race].

Add: My god, I didn't realize the women did it too. That's pathetic.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
That was sad, I think USA would have won [that race].

Add: My god, I didn't realize the women did it too. That's pathetic.

Yes, quite a night for missing the baton. One would think they'd practice, practice, practice passing it. They showed Marion Jones not being able to catch up with the person she was supposed to pass the baton to in 2004, so it's happened before.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Domination is so rare. If it happens involving people/teams I don't care about (like the Olympics) I like to see it.

I don't think it's very rare, actually. A great deal of sports, especially in the Olympics, have one or two countries that crush the others. I repeat that I think it's boring. I'm trying to recall, did May and Walsh even lose a single set? That's annoying. I want to see some real competition!

Now, I wanted to see Brazil beat the USA in men's volleyball, but that's for a different reason. That was because I just like seeing the USA lose.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
GO AUSSIE!

When it comes to gold medals (heck, or even medals in general) per million people of population, Australia is kicking everyone's asses. :D

I also love love love seeing the underdog win - like watching that guy from Togo in the kayaking/canoeing win bronze, which was the first ever olympic medal for his country. Awwww. It was even worth the Aussie missing out. :)

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Well, that they have to be really good swimmers and very strong to keep from drowning while they do all that crap. I dunno what else though.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
The American women and men won the 400-meter relays. Looks like all that baton-passing practice paid off. Women were strong and expected to win, although it was close with the Jamaicans. Men were not expected to win and they set a new Olympic record. Both were fun to watch.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Olympic gold for the Aussie platform diver. He was fantastic and his reactions and emotions were touching. First, elation at his high score. Then, anxiety as he watched the next diver - he didn't realize he'd already set the bar unbeatably high. Next, happiness as his girlfriend hugged him, saying "Hon, you just won the gold medal." Finally, tears, as it all sank in.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Mheh. I put on NBC to catch Conan, and Liukin's on Leno.

Norm McDonald called the uneven bars scoring "a bunch of commie gobbledigook."

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Mheh. I put on NBC to catch Conan, and Liukin's on Leno.

Norm McDonald called the uneven bars scoring "a bunch of commie gobbledigook."

:huh: I thought gobbledygook referred to jargon/language.