MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default INTERSTELLAR

No thread on this movie yet?

Interstellar is a family-values sci-fi romp through space/time starring Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway, directed by Nick Nolan.

The writers of this movie did their homework when it comes to Einsteinian physics. Not so much when it comes to black holes - or movie titles, since the movie should properly have been entitled:

The runtime is 2 hours and 40 minutes, so be prepared for a long show. Take some camping gear along with you.

The movie takes a long time to build up to any kind of space sequence. I believe that this was necessary to develop the human side of the plot-line, and that's okay. But I was beginning to wonder at first if this was a space movie at all, or if we had all been hoodwinked into buying tickets for a future movie with no outer space as the title would indicate.

Interstellar begins in a dystopian future in the good ole USA. We aren't told how civilization was brought down to this point, but I would have to say it was caused by global warming. The year is not revealed. It could be 2020, 2070, or 10,000 AD. But until I saw a fancy modern laptop in the movie, which made for a quietly dramatic contrast between the modernity of the laptop on the old wooden dinner table along with the stark, dusty reality surrounding it, I could have sworn it was taking place during the 1930s dust bowl era.

The sound quality in the theater I went to was terrible and the volume was too loud. So I'll probably have to head over to wikipedia to find out some of the motivations of the actors and the stated psychologies/philosophies they projected into their worlds.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

There's little on the Wikipedia Interstellar (film) page to learn from. The characters in Interstellar had very simple motivations for their behavior.

1. (Astronaut) I want to see my family again.
    2. (Astronaut) I want to complete the mission (although there is a hidden motivation for wanting to do so).
    3. (Daughter) I want to see my astronaut daddy again.
    4. (Astronaut) I can't accept failure (apparently his family is less important to him, or he doesn't care about them as much as not failing).
    5. (Professor) I want to save humanity.

But from these simple yet more-or-less pure motives there arises a lot of philosophical and psychological dialogue that could have found a nice home in a story based on a Shakespearean premise.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

bored me intellectually. all the stuff in the movie was ish presented fifteen years ago.

but it was a good movie though.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    bored me intellectually. all the stuff in the movie was ish presented fifteen years ago.

but it was a good movie though.
    That's cool bro. I bet 10 bucks (figuratively) that you can't explain the plot to me, though. :P
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    That's cool bro. I bet 10 bucks (figuratively) that you can't explain the plot to me, though. :P
    I don't know about him, but I'll take on any "bet" that requires me to make an effort for nothing!

^^^ me as the monkey.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Just saw it.

My impression mirrors in some way the Salon review -- yes, I'm a Nolan fan, but I was left subtly disappointed in some ways with this movie even if I also came away with some decent experiences.

Since I like to do my bitching first:

- How can a guy make a three-hour movie that still seems sketchy in spots?

- The first hour (until they went into space, really) was kind of flat / flimsy to me. There were just a lot of questions where things got hurried along emotionally or plot-wise, like I was walking out on thin ice to believe fully what was happening.

- Some stuff in the endgame also seemed a little sketchy, especially

- As Mal noted, the sound sucked in the sense it was so damn loud (in terms of balance) that it covered up some of the dialogue -- I actually think I managed to pick up about 80% of it anyway, but it was pretty hard to discern in some key moments. The sound was loud enough that with my legs up on the metal rail watching this, I could feel the vibrations coursing through my body. I'm sure old people and babies were bleeding from their ears after a few of those sequences. I think a balance between realism and practicality would have been nice here.

Also, I figured out two major plotpoints almost as soon as they happened, but... i guess I also know Nolan enough to know how he thinks, so that helped me see what was coming:

However, a lot of the themes were a big deal to me personally. In IMAX, the images of Saturn and the various planets and the black hole itself were pretty amazing. And the themes of death, aging, loss; the thought of broken promises and abandonment; and the depths of loneliness that one can experience in isolation. There's an exhilaration of diving into the new and exploring, coupled with the sick sick feeling of watching your home drop and dwindle into a dot and then nothingness in a viewfinder and wondering if you'll ever see it again -- to be billions and billions of miles from home and utterly alone, like Mann notes later in the movie.

These very big, very resonant personal themes for me coupled with the great acting by much of the main cast to still leave me in tears in a few spots, even when I saw everything coming. Jessica Chastain as typical has a lot of grit and grace, and McConaughey's streak still isn't diminishing -- he nails this role pretty much spot-on... especially the scene where he's watching his kids' messages that have accumulated for some time. I don't know who gave him the wakeup call later in life, but whoever smacked him did a great job with it as he's actually invested and pulls it off. Caine and Lithgrow are solid, the young actor who plays his daughter in the first hour is really great, and Ellen Burstyn barely gets enough screen time but she makes a lot of what she has.

as a writer, I could also see the "skeleton" of the narrative from a writer's perspective -- the watch motif, which had both practical and emotional significance, etc. Some things worked, some things did not from my perspective, but I could see what they were trying to do.

Oh, and I guess I have Jenny's Scifi Movie Corollary No. 3.

In the end, I felt like Inception was 'too much head' in spots and had too many info dumps, although there was an emotional core that was very effective especially at the end. This movie was almost 'too much heart' and there wasn't quite as much cohesion and/or proper fleshing out of the base to support the logic of the rest of the movie.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes GarrotTheThief, ChrisTheRipper liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I had mixed feelings, I may write about it later, but... 'Interstellar' is a perfectly accurate title. It is interstellar if it's intergalactic, but it's not necessarily intergalactic if it's interstellar. Intergalactic as a title sets a goofy tone for a movie.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

@Jennifer

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Of course these two hacks had to weigh in on Interstellar:

I didn't see anything in that review that others haven't thought of already. For example:

The comparisons with other "black hole" or "worm hole" movies are more interesting. That supposedly great movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" seems very one-dimensional. The main character, Bowman, has no character arc. He may have been "chosen" for some unknown reason to "ride the worm hole" and morph into a space fetus. But nothing in his character arc demonstrates that he has done anything to deserve the space fetus honor. I'm not saying "2001" was a shallow movie. But its philosophical and humanistic depth was won at the expense of failing to create an entertaining story with interesting (non-boring) characters and a plot that has a distinct beginning and a distinct ending.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

The Spaceships of 'Interstellar' Explained (Infographic)
    'Defying today's fashion of 3D computer-animated spaceships, Interstellar relies on physical miniatures. A real model will catch the light and move in a more realistic way than computer graphics can.'
    Take that CGI fakes!