• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTERSTELLAR

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tyson: “They explore a planet near a Black Hole. Personally, I’d stay as far the hell away from Black Holes as I can." Exactly. Besides the spacecraft that can easily lift off from a planet with 1.3x Earth gravity (I'm assuming they had the tech to do that), you don't go near black holes. Black hole = bad. Very bad.

Mole

Permabanned
Science Fiction and Science Fantasy

I remember the very first science fiction story I read as a boy in Analog magazine.

It was about a crash on Mars and the surprise discovery of an ancient Martian city with the original non-human inhabitants long gone, but the Martian city set about trying to meet the needs of the crash victims, even at the cost of destroying itself.

It blew my mind and I walked around in a daze for a whole day.

I liked science fiction because it was fiction based on the facts of science. But once science fiction ceased to be based on the facts of science, I lost interest.

And the simple fact is that homo sapiens is never going to travel to the stars or other galaxies.

But travel to the stars or galaxies has taken the place of going to Heaven.

So Science Fiction has become Science Fantasy.

So Science Fiction is now as much a fantasy as mbti.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I remember the very first science fiction story I read as a boy in Analog magazine.

It was about a crash on Mars and the surprise discovery of an ancient Martian city with the original non-human inhabitants long gone, but the Martian city set about trying to meet the needs of the crash victims, even at the cost of destroying itself.

I liked science fiction because it was fiction based on the facts of science. But once science fiction ceased to be based on the facts of science, I lost interest.

And the simple fact is that homo sapiens is never going to travel to the stars or other galaxies.

#LEGEND

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Try educating yourself on something you feel the need to categorically condemn, and once again draw an arbitrary parallel to MBTI according to your programming (beep beep bloop). Modern science fiction is based on current knowledge of science, and for that reason takes place in space much less often. Of course, the novels and short stories from the 60's didn't update themselves, even though many of them are really good stories, and I can't really speak for what gets made into movies, except that it is usually as schlocky and unscientific in its time as the stuff turned out in 50's B-movies.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sigh...

Hey, so was I the only one who kind of liked those ridiculous, ungainly robots? At first I was like, "Why would anyone design a robot that walks like someone using crutches for the first time?" But then, of course, they started showing off all their fancy moves.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hey, so was I the only one who kind of liked those ridiculous, ungainly robots? At first I was like, "Why would anyone design a robot that walks like someone using crutches for the first time?" But then, of course, they started showing off all their fancy moves.

I liked the robots. I'm glad they didn't look like 3-CPO!

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sigh...

The Robot was the only thang I loved in that movie. Too cute, too sassy. :spindance:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION]: Did you even see this movie? Or, at a bare minimum, read any reviews of it?

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I LOVED THE MOVIE!...

It was slow to take off... but so was space odyssey... The computer this time was better than smirky/stuck-up HAL 9000. The beginning was very... hollywood'ish throwing some hacking **** in there again. But I liked it, was like an updated version of the 1968 movie. However at least in 1968 they had "iPads" with the IBM logo on it, new things we only got in 2000s. What did they explore technology wise that wasn't some holograph crap? NOTHING??? At least I liked the science behind the shuttles and the gravity and no sound in space and.... Yeah well uhm... seems like the only thing they predicted was real estate in space.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Several off-topic posts have been moved to the Graveyard. Do stay on topic.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] you forgot one^

Mole

Permabanned
[MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION]: Did you even see this movie? Or, at a bare minimum, read any reviews of it?

Of course I saw the movie, I see all the movies.

And as I have a different perspective then you accuse me of not seeing the movie.

I notice I also have a different perspective on mbti, and as a result I am banned, my posts are put in the graveyard, and I am relentlessly accused of being off topic.

It is only in a cult that different perspectives are negatively targetted.

The intelligent and democratic welcome different perspectives.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Of course I saw the movie, I see all the movies.

Oh good! have you seen The Last House on the Left? or Hang 'Em High? Or The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes?

And as I have a different perspective then you accuse me of not seeing the movie.

No, it's because you offered not even a single detail in your post that suggested that you ever saw the movie, and instead you're talking about mbti and cults again. It was a serious question, I wanted to know.

I notice I also have a different perspective on mbti, and as a result I am banned, my posts are put in the graveyard, and I am relentlessly accused of being off topic.

It is only in a cult that different perspectives are negatively targetted.

The intelligent and democratic welcome different perspectives.

You seriously went there?

If you want to be in a thread that is reviewing a movie, please talk about the movie. Thanks.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, how did everyone feel about Brandt's little speech about love in the middle, as the group is trying to come to a decision?
Personally I didn't mind it at all -- it was delivered well by Anne Hathaway in that I-know-I'm-sounding-stupid-but-this-feeling-is-overwhelming-right-now way. I don't think it would have worked otherwise. But I think it could have included some 'scientific evidence' of some sort on Hathaway's part. If she's a scientist she would most likely try to quote some documented 'unexplainable' phenomena that might be caused by 'love'. I think in preparation of going through a wormhole to search for her boyfriend who might be dead she would have already spent quite a bit of time pondering the power of love, so her speech could have come through as a slightly more 'complete' argument (with 'evidence' that she had already used to convince herself, etc.) But maybe I'm just nitpicking here.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The first act was rather clumsy, some parts were contrived, other parts were poorly explained, the dialogue was rather bad at times, I disliked the pretentious pontificating, the endless exposition was irritating, the editing could have been tighter in places, and whole script basically needed a couple more drafts...

..but...

I really loved it nonetheless. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a film that flawed, that much. I found it thrilling, moving and highly engaging. I was so wrapped up in it, after that awkward first act the time just flew by for me. I am a bit of an astrophysics lover so I do enjoy it when a movie gets romantic about the weird and wonderful things about space travel, the universe, and the theory of relativity. :D

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The sound quality in the theater I went to was terrible and the volume was too loud. So I'll probably have to head over to wikipedia to find out some of the motivations of the actors and the stated psychologies/philosophies they projected into their worlds.
Nolan is known for his shitty sound mixes. It's a common complaint. In fact, I just read an article on the subject the other day.

Tater

pros:
-effective acting
-powerful themes
-nice cgi
-funny robot comic relief

cons:
-shoddy pacing
-"love is quantifiable"
-illogical plot holes (some of which incidentally involved black holes!)
-stroke inducing audio arrangement
-mbti is a cult(???)

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Just watched it.

No idea why things were happening, for what reason and how they actually solved it. Lots of "huh". But whatever, I enjoyed it anyways :laugh:

SO MANY QUESTIONS!:explode:

[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] yes I saw it coming as well. Haha

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah I'd really love to see a diagram of how the black hole, tesseract, and wormhole connect.
How did he manage to Luke Skywalker it into the tesseract door after crossing the event horizon, considering just how much black hole area there was? That was some pin-point accuracy by whoever put it there. Kind of makes you wonder why they thought Saturn would be a good spot for the worm hole rather than, say, behind the moon. Also I thought getting that close to a black hole would rip you apart? Maybe he wasn't really that close to it after all.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought it was a bland, poorly edited, emotionally trite bunch of bull hockey. That's $12 I will never get back. :mad: