Thread: INTERSTELLAR

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I remember the very first science fiction story I read as a boy in Analog magazine.

It was about a crash on Mars and the surprise discovery of an ancient Martian city with the original non-human inhabitants long gone, but the Martian city set about trying to meet the needs of the crash victims, even at the cost of destroying itself.

It blew my mind and I walked around in a daze for a whole day.

I liked science fiction because it was fiction based on the facts of science. But once science fiction ceased to be based on the facts of science, I lost interest.

And the simple fact is that homo sapiens is never going to travel to the stars or other galaxies.

But travel to the stars or galaxies has taken the place of going to Heaven.

So Science Fiction has become Science Fantasy.

So Science Fiction is now as much a fantasy as mbti.
    @Coriolis you forgot one^
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    @Mole: Did you even see this movie? Or, at a bare minimum, read any reviews of it?
    Of course I saw the movie, I see all the movies.

And as I have a different perspective then you accuse me of not seeing the movie.

I notice I also have a different perspective on mbti, and as a result I am banned, my posts are put in the graveyard, and I am relentlessly accused of being off topic.

It is only in a cult that different perspectives are negatively targetted.

The intelligent and democratic welcome different perspectives.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Of course I saw the movie, I see all the movies.
    Oh good! have you seen The Last House on the Left? or Hang 'Em High? Or The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes?

And as I have a different perspective then you accuse me of not seeing the movie.
    No, it's because you offered not even a single detail in your post that suggested that you ever saw the movie, and instead you're talking about mbti and cults again. It was a serious question, I wanted to know.

I notice I also have a different perspective on mbti, and as a result I am banned, my posts are put in the graveyard, and I am relentlessly accused of being off topic.

It is only in a cult that different perspectives are negatively targetted.

The intelligent and democratic welcome different perspectives.
    You seriously went there?

If you want to be in a thread that is reviewing a movie, please talk about the movie. Thanks.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, how did everyone feel about Brandt's little speech about love in the middle, as the group is trying to come to a decision?
    Personally I didn't mind it at all -- it was delivered well by Anne Hathaway in that I-know-I'm-sounding-stupid-but-this-feeling-is-overwhelming-right-now way. I don't think it would have worked otherwise. But I think it could have included some 'scientific evidence' of some sort on Hathaway's part. If she's a scientist she would most likely try to quote some documented 'unexplainable' phenomena that might be caused by 'love'. I think in preparation of going through a wormhole to search for her boyfriend who might be dead she would have already spent quite a bit of time pondering the power of love, so her speech could have come through as a slightly more 'complete' argument (with 'evidence' that she had already used to convince herself, etc.) But maybe I'm just nitpicking here.

4w5 sp/sx EII

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

The first act was rather clumsy, some parts were contrived, other parts were poorly explained, the dialogue was rather bad at times, I disliked the pretentious pontificating, the endless exposition was irritating, the editing could have been tighter in places, and whole script basically needed a couple more drafts...

..but...

I really loved it nonetheless. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a film that flawed, that much. I found it thrilling, moving and highly engaging. I was so wrapped up in it, after that awkward first act the time just flew by for me. I am a bit of an astrophysics lover so I do enjoy it when a movie gets romantic about the weird and wonderful things about space travel, the universe, and the theory of relativity.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    The sound quality in the theater I went to was terrible and the volume was too loud. So I'll probably have to head over to wikipedia to find out some of the motivations of the actors and the stated psychologies/philosophies they projected into their worlds.
    Nolan is known for his shitty sound mixes. It's a common complaint. In fact, I just read an article on the subject the other day.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Retired

pros:
    -effective acting
    -powerful themes
    -nice cgi
    -funny robot comic relief

cons:
    -shoddy pacing
    -"love is quantifiable"
    -illogical plot holes (some of which incidentally involved black holes!)
    -stroke inducing audio arrangement
    -mbti is a cult(???)
    Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

Just watched it.

No idea why things were happening, for what reason and how they actually solved it. Lots of "huh". But whatever, I enjoyed it anyways

SO MANY QUESTIONS!

@Jennifer yes I saw it coming as well. Haha

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah I'd really love to see a diagram of how the black hole, tesseract, and wormhole connect.
    How did he manage to Luke Skywalker it into the tesseract door after crossing the event horizon, considering just how much black hole area there was? That was some pin-point accuracy by whoever put it there. Kind of makes you wonder why they thought Saturn would be a good spot for the worm hole rather than, say, behind the moon. Also I thought getting that close to a black hole would rip you apart? Maybe he wasn't really that close to it after all.

I thought it was a bland, poorly edited, emotionally trite bunch of bull hockey. That's $12 I will never get back.