First 12345 Last

Thread: INTERSTELLAR

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Tyson: “They explore a planet near a Black Hole. Personally, I’d stay as far the hell away from Black Holes as I can." Exactly. Besides the spacecraft that can easily lift off from a planet with 1.3x Earth gravity (I'm assuming they had the tech to do that), you don't go near black holes. Black hole = bad. Very bad.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Default Science Fiction and Science Fantasy

I remember the very first science fiction story I read as a boy in Analog magazine.

It was about a crash on Mars and the surprise discovery of an ancient Martian city with the original non-human inhabitants long gone, but the Martian city set about trying to meet the needs of the crash victims, even at the cost of destroying itself.

It blew my mind and I walked around in a daze for a whole day.

I liked science fiction because it was fiction based on the facts of science. But once science fiction ceased to be based on the facts of science, I lost interest.

And the simple fact is that homo sapiens is never going to travel to the stars or other galaxies.

But travel to the stars or galaxies has taken the place of going to Heaven.

So Science Fiction has become Science Fantasy.

So Science Fiction is now as much a fantasy as mbti.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I remember the very first science fiction story I read as a boy in Analog magazine.

It was about a crash on Mars and the surprise discovery of an ancient Martian city with the original non-human inhabitants long gone, but the Martian city set about trying to meet the needs of the crash victims, even at the cost of destroying itself.

It blew my mind and I walked around in a daze for a whole day.

I liked science fiction because it was fiction based on the facts of science. But once science fiction ceased to be based on the facts of science, I lost interest.

And the simple fact is that homo sapiens is never going to travel to the stars or other galaxies.

But travel to the stars or galaxies has taken the place of going to Heaven.

So Science Fiction has become Science Fantasy.

So Science Fiction is now as much a fantasy as mbti.
    #LEGEND
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes Evee liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post

Try educating yourself on something you feel the need to categorically condemn, and once again draw an arbitrary parallel to MBTI according to your programming (beep beep bloop). Modern science fiction is based on current knowledge of science, and for that reason takes place in space much less often. Of course, the novels and short stories from the 60's didn't update themselves, even though many of them are really good stories, and I can't really speak for what gets made into movies, except that it is usually as schlocky and unscientific in its time as the stuff turned out in 50's B-movies.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Sigh...

Hey, so was I the only one who kind of liked those ridiculous, ungainly robots? At first I was like, "Why would anyone design a robot that walks like someone using crutches for the first time?" But then, of course, they started showing off all their fancy moves.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Hey, so was I the only one who kind of liked those ridiculous, ungainly robots? At first I was like, "Why would anyone design a robot that walks like someone using crutches for the first time?" But then, of course, they started showing off all their fancy moves.
    I liked the robots. I'm glad they didn't look like 3-CPO!
    4w5 sp/sx EII
    Likes Totenkindly, chubber liked this post

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Sigh...

The Robot was the only thang I loved in that movie. Too cute, too sassy.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

@Mole: Did you even see this movie? Or, at a bare minimum, read any reviews of it?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I LOVED THE MOVIE!...

It was slow to take off... but so was space odyssey... The computer this time was better than smirky/stuck-up HAL 9000. The beginning was very... hollywood'ish throwing some hacking **** in there again. But I liked it, was like an updated version of the 1968 movie. However at least in 1968 they had "iPads" with the IBM logo on it, new things we only got in 2000s. What did they explore technology wise that wasn't some holograph crap? NOTHING??? At least I liked the science behind the shuttles and the gravity and no sound in space and.... Yeah well uhm... seems like the only thing they predicted was real estate in space.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Several off-topic posts have been moved to the Graveyard. Do stay on topic.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...