User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: INTERSTELLAR

An American trope is The Frontier. And so Americans constantly fancy themselves as heros on the Frontier. And guess what! Space is the Final Frontier.

But the dirty little secret is that Space is so big and the speed of light is so slow, it is as though the stars and galaxies are set in concrete and forever out of our reach.

So at this point we pull the supernatural rabbit out of the hat in the form of a wormhole and a black hole. But they don't compute in the amount of energy needed and the amount of time dilation caused.

So we can fool some of the people some of the time, and we can fool all of the Americans all of the time with tales of the Frontier.

This is nothing more than the myth of the Wild West Frontier translated into the myth of the Final Frontier of Space.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Also, I figured out two major plotpoints almost as soon as they happened, but... i guess I also know Nolan enough to know how he thinks, so that helped me see what was coming:

4w5 sp/sx EII
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Oh, how did everyone feel about Brandt's little speech about love in the middle, as the group is trying to come to a decision?

Interesting interviews with actors/director:
    'Interstellar's' Christopher Nolan, Stars Gather to Reveal Secrets of the Year's Most Mysterious Film

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    Yeah, all good points. I think maybe some of those factored into my intuitive perceptions of where things were going.

Some of these motifs exist because they just are what they are (such as slingshooting to pick up speed... not much of a spoiler, it just is one arsenal in a toolkit, like using a handbrake to help with a tight turn I suppose).

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes 21% liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I am a written Science Fiction fan, like it sounds like @21% is, so I am highly attuned to the genre. I enjoyed the heck out of the movie, but it fell into the uncanny valley of SF for me. Nolan seem to me a speculative director at heart, except he builds movie plot and and theme constructs much the way Arthur C. Clark builds worlds. Nolan tried on the SF hat, he had so much research into the visuals and the superficial behavior of space-stuff, which was depicted beautifully, but it was just a hat.

The things that threw me off had a lot to do with the approach, what was focused on and emphasized. The idea of a wormhole existing and within it inhabitable worlds would be a world-shaker to a scientist, not for how amazing it looks or for what is within it, but what it implies, what it confirms. I don't feel like that was reflected in Cooper's reaction, or the way 'NASA' does their exposition.

He makes some jarring and annoying world-building mistakes things that make it difficult to maintaining a state of willing suspension of belief. Like the fact it takes a giant mult-stage rocket to get off the surface of Earth and transfer to an orbital space-craft, but it only takes a shuttle sized craft to land and take off from worlds with similar or heavier gravities, not only is this un-scientific, more importantly it's inconsistent.

There were a lot of instances of unnatural dialog just to hit people over the head with a hammer, like Cooper's nephew coughing and announcing the cause was 'dust', if that were a real life situation in that world, that would be the most sarcastic, smart-ass and tasteless thing to say. As if everyone didn't know that he was coughing because of 'dust', or wasn't deeply and unspokenly aware that it wasn't killing them all. The dust itself was just a plot device to get people off the Earth for the movie's sake. This is where that weird Nolanization on the genre happens, in SF people tend to be cardboard cutouts in order to explore new ideas and situations and implications of technology, the process of discovery tends to be open ended. Here everything is a cardboard cutout of a type to aim to a certain resolution, both in story and in theme, "Love is as an important force as anything quantifiable."

That makes Brandt's speech about love the centerpiece of the movie, and I believe it was intended to be. It was executed well by Hathaway, but I could not stay in the moment, no dedicated scientist would express their belief in that in that way to other scientists, it wasn't a speech aimed at the characters around her, it was aimed at the audience. All in all, the movie was a good ride, like a carnival-park ride, engineered and sold to the back-row seats.

Oh, how did everyone feel about Brandt's little speech about love in the middle, as the group is trying to come to a decision?
    Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    One particularly corny monologue delivered by Anne Hathaway irreparably soured the story for me.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

A Point I Meant to Make Earlier:
    Did anyone else feel like they were watching an M. Night Shyamalan film directed by Christopher Nolan?

---

More articles of interest:
    ‘Interstellar’: Neil deGrasse Tyson on the Film’s Science
    ‘Interstellar’ Ending & Space Travel Explained
    5 Christopher Nolan Movie Criticisms That are Totally Valid

For the record (in that last article), I did actually feel terrible for Sarah in "The Prestige"... but I understand the criticism. She was still being used as a plot device to further the main conflict between the two magicians, and she only really came alive because Rebecca Hall was just so damn good.

I kinda felt this way in Nolan's remake of "Insomnia," which has a lot of pathos built into the story and could have been richer but just quite didn't go deep enough emotionally in some scenes.

Sorry. I missed it in there, I had some other stuff I planned to respond to.

I didn't mind it at all, I found it interesting to hear about "love" from a more "logically argued perspective" -- but at the end of it, I was still left with, "Dayum, girl, beautiful speech; but as an argument it still doesn't prove anything at all." I don't think the argument could have been better, she just didn't have a lot of grounding; it was purely speculatory.

Then again, I loved the Architect's speech at the end of Matrix Reloaded... some people hated it.
    @Mal12345:

---

Oh, and more oddities:

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Floki liked this post

Sorry. I missed it in there, I had some other stuff I planned to respond to.

I didn't mind it at all, I found it interesting to hear about "love" from a more "logically argued perspective" -- but at the end of it, I was still left with, "Dayum, girl, beautiful speech; but as an argument it still doesn't prove anything at all." I don't think the argument could have been better, she just didn't have a lot of grounding; it was purely speculatory.
    I thought it was clichéd and trite. It was probably delivered as best at it could be but the speech itself was over-the-top and out of place. It was as though Nolan fashioned a hammer, wrote "LOVE CONQUERS ALL" on it, and then bashed my face in with it.

One of Interstellar's problem was that it had very little subtlety.
    Likes Totenkindly, Floki, senza tema liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I thought it was clichéd and trite. It was probably delivered as best at it could be but the speech itself was over-the-top and out of place. It was as though Nolan fashioned a hammer, wrote "LOVE CONQUERS ALL" on it, and then bashed my face in with it.

One of Interstellar's problem was that it had very little subtlety.
    ...My heart still pines away for The Prestige and Memento.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My favorite parts of the movie were close-up action shots without any people in them. I especially enjoyed watching multiple iterations of space ship docking, smooth, frenetic, awkward. And tight shots of robots picking things up with their capable manipulators.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That spinning redock late in the movie was pretty badass, I gotta say.
    (I'm surprised the non-pilot didn't pass out.)

----

Looks like sound issues were experienced across the board:
    Interstellar Is Great But It May Have A Serious Sound Problem - CINEMABLEND
    Poll = 62% say the sound muffled some of the dialogue, only 28% said it was fine. (10% hadn't seen the movie)

Oh, and we're back to this kind of shit again:
    Why Interstellar's Ending Doesn't Mean What You Think It Means - CINEMABLEND
    (... although I'll concur that Dr. Mann does say that, which triggers this line of thought. Otherwise it would be purely conjecture.)
    EDIT: Here's an article about the prevelance of people enjoying ploying this kind of explanation for ANY show or movie (although for the record, "The Wizard of Oz" makes far more sense now):
    The "Everyone’s Already Dead" theory: The simple mind-trick that makes every movie and TV show seem better.

Another scientist assesses what might happen in the movie:
    https://www.yahoo.com/movies/interst...298382597.html

James Hibbards' "15 Questions about the movie" [some are ones I also had]
    (James writes pretty amusing reviews of GoT when it's on the air)
    15 maddening 'Interstellar' plot holes | PopWatch | EW.com

Amusing plot description:
    Let's talk about the plot of 'Interstellar' | PopWatch | EW.com
    Best quote:

Phil Platt's Initial Complaints about the movie's "science":
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health...elativity.html
    His follow-up corrections of his initial article:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro..._was_mine.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...he_blight.html
    http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/m..._reviewed.html
    Last edited by Bellflower; 11-13-2014 at 09:35 AM.