• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DOOM

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think that we need this thread.

OK people, who likes Doom?

(Later we will discuss the details)

Homini Lupus

MBTI Type
INTJ
One of the things that defined my childhood - early adolescence. And I messed it up in every possible way with editors. I haven't played the last one since my computer wasn't up to the job.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a fan of all the games, including Doom 3, and I'm sure I'll love Doom 4, as well.

I love id Software. I'm looking forward to their game Rage, too.

And, of course, the Wolfenstein reboot.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Damn, I was late to DOOM but played some of the Linux derivatives of the engine back in my early internet-using days. A buddy and I played 2-player DOOM3 over the internet (both of us on dialup) using LxDoom and kicked the crap out of it. That was hard and a lot of fun :yes:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I use to play this against my brother. I sucked, but it was fun. of course he knew all the cheat codes and wouldn't tell me them. (this was before we had internet) I played on the upstairs computer and he played on the downstairs one as we had a home network.

sassafrassquatch

The first PC FPS I ever played was a Doom mod called Chex Quest that came in the cereal box. I played that game obsessively. I've played all the Doom and Quake games. If not for TF2 Quake III would be my desert island game.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Doom is undeniably great. Romero did so well with the design, it's really too bad he lost his touch.

Doom3 got a bad rap for being uncreative. It's an exceptional game. Yes, all they could do was make the best old-school FPS ever. So sorry.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Doom... aaah the memories. What a great game. I remember the first 1-1 matches I had using a serial cable connection.

Now, Doom 3 wasn't that bad. It wasn't as great as the hype made it look, but not as bad as the players made it seem later.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll agree that the Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil expansion pack was pretty godawful, though.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I too, have fond memories of Doom. First time I saw it was actually the really crappy SNES port. :laugh:
But then my brother got it on the PC, and all was right. I might have spent more time editing it then I played it, though.

Which makes me think... Have any of you seen just how far DOOM hacking has gone? It's crazy. It might be the most extensively hacked game I've ever seen.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Actually, I thought the first few levels were magnificent. And then it seemed like the developers just gave up on the rest of it.

It was all the flying skulls and the low ammo and the dying and the "F(&7 this SH(*&".

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Please take a look at the type of the people that posted in this thread.

Is any of you crazy enough to pass entire DOOM 1 under 30 minutes?

Last edited:
MBTI Type
ENTP
I still remember IDDQD and IDKFA... didn't even have to Google them...

<sigh>... I was living in India when my brother came for summer holidays from boarding school in the States.... bearing three or four 5 1/4 inch floppies.... once pkunzip did its job, I was rolling.... I think I was eight or nine years old at the time...

DOOM was just.... the best.... far more enjoyable than the original Wolfenstein 3D (all props for its ingenuity and the fact that it was older, but still).

I still sit down for some DOOM I and II when I need to.

Wasn't the gametrack phenomenal!?!?!!?!!!??!?!

And no... there's no way I could finish DOOM I in under 30 minutes... I could beat it on Ultra-Violence though... all episodes of DOOM I.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have managed to finish DOOM I under 30 minutes.

I admit that it was done on "I am too young to die" but I am still proud on what I have managed to do that. From time to time I do that again because it is amusing.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Doom II was one of the first games I ever played and boy did I play that game. To me, it served as a stepping stone to ID's masterpieces: Quake I & II. Both FVF and CTF were excellent mods to the game. But ya know, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get into Doom 3. The plasticity in its level design and its poor graphical scaling (at the time) on medium tiered systems really deterred me from playing it. Aside from its graphics, none of the game mechanics were innovative.

Half-Life 2 impressed me more overall than Doom 3.

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
The first PC FPS I ever played was a Doom mod called Chex Quest that came in the cereal box. I played that game obsessively. I've played all the Doom and Quake games. If not for TF2 Quake III would be my desert island game.

Chex Quest was one of my favorite games for a very long time. It was classic.

As for DOOM, it takes second place in my book to a game called Rise Of The Triad...a much better game, with a great deal more LAN play options, including voice-chat and a random map generator.