User Tag List

First 123

Thread: DOOM

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Fun at first, but too knuckleheaded. If I want horror, I agree with Noel: a techno-thriller like Half-Life 2 can't be beat.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Fun at first, but too knuckleheaded. If I want horror, I agree with Noel: a techno-thriller like Half-Life 2 can't be beat.
    As much as I love Half-Life 2 and its expansions, I have to say that Half-Life had a much more intriguing world to explore. I loved the idea how Black Mesa was an entire city beneath the canyons -- it was highly creative and it felt rather homey. I could play the game just for the opening sequence and riding the monorail past the food court and other interesting environments.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    As much as I love Half-Life 2 and its expansions, I have to say that Half-Life had a much more intriguing world to explore. I loved the idea how Black Mesa was an entire city beneath the canyons -- it was highly creative and it felt rather homey. I could play the game just for the opening sequence and riding the monorail past the food court and other interesting environments.
    Classic -- I remember watching it on a friend's computer back in the day. What a turning point for video games.

Edit: Though I will admit being riveted by the escalation up the Citadel. More horror than wonder, but still a Valve masterwork.

MBTI
    INFP

Classic -- I remember watching it on a friend's computer back in the day. What a turning point for video games.

Edit: Though I will admit being riveted by the escalation up the Citadel. More horror than wonder, but still a Valve masterwork.
    I was one of the luckier kids to have a Voodoo 3 graphics cards when Half-Life came out. I knew then I was hooked on pc gaming.
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    I was one of the luckier kids to have a Voodoo 3 graphics cards when Half-Life came out. I knew then I was hooked on pc gaming.
    Nice. At the risk of a second derailing: I thought that PC gaming introduced far too many compatibility risks; until, after playing the Xbox 360 version, bought Oblivion and loaded dozens of mods, including FCOM: Convergence. Holy mackerel, what a game.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Nice. At the risk of a second derailing: I thought that PC gaming introduced far too many compatibility risks; until, after playing the Xbox 360 version, bought Oblivion and loaded dozens of mods, including FCOM: Convergence. Holy mackerel, what a game.
    Fuck Oblivion. Stupid level scaling.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Stupid level scaling.
    The game's three comprehensive user mods (OOO, MMM, Francesco's) remove scaling, establish a powerful risk/reward calculus and improve the game in a dozen additional ways. So, to repeat, "what a game." You might want to try it.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

The game's three comprehensive user mods (OOO, MMM, Francesco's) remove scaling, establish a powerful risk/reward calculus and improve the game in a dozen additional ways. So, to repeat, "what a game." You might want to try it.
    I bought it when it came out, and finished it before the mods were out. Since I don't tend to play really long games more than once, I'm probably stuck with my bad memories.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I bought it when it came out, and finished it before the mods were out. Since I don't tend to play really long games more than once, I'm probably stuck with my bad memories.
    I know for certain that I couldn't go back to what they call "vanilla Oblivion," so you're in good general company. But I think that anyone with shared complaints (or a preference for Morrowind) has a good chance of being pleased.