• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, James Spader...how awesome you are...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
He just keeps getting better and better.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Love James Spader, always did. He's even cooler now that he's not a pretty boy.

The trailer doesn't clarify much, but I think it's great they are actually focusing on Ultron. It likely will tie into the "Civil Wars" movie they plan to make down the road.

I like Whedon in that he's great at merging humor and drama while still having a forward-moving plot, and he's also good at teasing out the humanity within particular characters and storylines that might be overlooked by other directors in that genre.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just saw the trailer on large IMAX screen.
Made my skin crawl and a bit teary cuz I was freaked out (in the good way).

They should at least pay the trailer guys a hefty bit for that piece of advertising, even if the movie sucks.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Two months until the Avengers 2 hits the theaters.

For people without much comics background (or even if you do), I found this ranking of Avengers members interesting, if not also just a walk down memory lane. (I know most of them.)

Every Member Of The Avengers, Ranked

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Just finished watching it.

Enjoyed it. Bit tired at the moment for anything in-depth but I notice a fair few people criticising Ultron's portrayal. I liked it, it wasn't what was expected, which is exactly what I like to see.

Ultron is strangely flippant, if I were to choose a personality trait that stands out, but flippancy with a genocidal edge to it. But that fits with how he is influenced by Stark's personality.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not out here until next week, so I saw a matinee of Ex Machina instead. Great movie, very small cast; reminded me of Under the Skin in some ways, probably the opposite of A2 in terms of action and scope.

Anyway, looking forward to A2 releasing here.

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It liked it but was also a bit disappointed. It might be because of 3D glasses, I hate those things, they bother me take me out of the experience. But still, there isn't enough time to flesh out the story properly when you have a cast this big. Whedon does a decent job and there's some truly awesome fight sequences. I expect the film work better the second time around.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hm I could never sit through Avengers 1. I'd watch the first 15 minutes and get bored. But if 2 is coming out, guess its time to get back to the basics.

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Okay movie... but very forgettable. I already forgot how it ends... or maybe I fell asleep I don't remember. Either way the movie was more like an episode of the Avengers TV show they have for kids than a top-production movie. I guess it just didn't seem like any of it mattered by the end of the movie. Oh and Whedon... what's with reverting all the female characters back to stereotypical love-interests and variations of damsels in distress? Seriously what the crap?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw it in IMAX 3D. I thought Ultron was pretty cool, and there was some decent action sequences. I was also pretty excited to finally see The Vision on the big screen, I've been waiting for this. He rocked. Overall opinion: A fun outing, interesting in spots, but it never really rises out of the genre. Winter Soldier had more depth.

The more intriguing ideas were touched on but not really dug into. For example, Ultron is Stark's child, so what makes Ultron much different from Stark? (There's even a line that suggests this -- that Ultron gets confused between creation and destruction, but where do you think he gets it from?) I really really wish they had dug more into that. Every time the movie started asking those uncomfortable questions, it ended up getting back to an action sequences. (Same thing with the intragroup skirmish at Stark's place; Thor shows up as a deux es machine, versus it being solved organically.)

In this movie, I also had a much deeper feeling of "What makes the Avengers any better than the guys who trash the place, since they are also trashing the place?" The biggest sense of this is when

The most WTF moment that I understood why they did it for characterization but that is likely to never happen is when

Anyway, for people who don't plan to see it but want to know how it pans out (body count and the Avengers 3 roster):

Also, the "sneak peak / end clip" that shows up in each Marvel movie:

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched it on friday which was the day it was released here. I liked it. I think it was better than the first one.

However, it's action action action and action. Few or no character development. But can't blame them, when there is a cast that big it's hard to give each person an individual time.

I think the plot was nice too.

Someone said that Spiderman will be in the third one. I've never read the comics so don't know whether that is true. Would be awesome I think to have him in it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, here's kind of an indictment of the direction of "chick flicks," I guess.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Someone said that Spiderman will be in the third one. I've never read the comics so don't know whether that is true. Would be awesome I think to have him in it.

The next movie is based on the Civil War storyline.
The rising tension between Iron Man and Captain America is part of the setup for that.
In the comic, Spiderman played a major role in that story.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The next movie is based on the Civil War storyline.
The rising tension between Iron Man and Captain America is part of the setup for that.
In the comic, Spiderman played a major role in that story.

Thanks. What is the reason behind the tension?

Glad to know Spiderman will be in it. Anyway in the comics is Spiderman closer the Toby Maguire version or the 1960s cartoon version?

Edit - oh yeah I don't read comics much. I was interested in reading the Ultimate series (Ultimate X-Men etc) but I heard they screwed up the ending, so I didn't.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks. What is the reason behind the tension?

What did you just see in the Avengers? What did Cap and Iron Man disagree on?

The specific thing in Civil War though, is

Glad to know Spiderman will be in it. Anyway in the comics is Spiderman closer the Toby Maguire version or the 1960s cartoon version?

There are many interpretations of Spidermans -- there have been, what, 55 years of Spiderman or something now? And everyone who writes the book has their own spin on the character. I would say the two "basic" types of Peter Parker as Spiderman have already been covered by Garfield and by Maguire. I've heard rumors the Civil War spiderman will be Peter Parker again (they couldn't seem to settle on the Hispanic vs the white Spidey for awhile), though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't read this until you've seen the movie:
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/avengers-age-of-ultron-death-spoilers-how-joss-117899426522.html

However, I disagree with Whedon here.

I think Wanda's powers in the movie are really kind of sloppy, too. It's not really clear what her powers are. In the comic book, she's, well, a witch and cast "hexes" of luck (good or bad), and even she is not quite sure of their outcome. I understand the difficulties in showing that on the screen, and I guess they wanted to use her as a blaster and have her be able to protect the thingamabob and thus she and The Vision and Ultron would have certain conclusions in their relationship (as it played out). But... what exactly can she do? I guess it's telekinesis as explained, but then she does mind powers stuff... she's kind of like a poor man's Jean Grey.

The Hex thing would have been something unique, though. Oh well.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/joss-whedon-fighting-marvel-over-avengers-age-ultron-040034343.html

Director Joss Whedon told Empire Film Podcast (minor spoilers ahead) that Marvel brass weren't thrilled with the scene in the film, in which Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner)

"The dreams were not an executive favorite either — the dreams, the farmhouse, these were things I fought to keep," Whedon said. "With the cave, it really turned into: they pointed a gun at the farm's head and said, 'Give us the cave, or we'll take out the farm,' — in a civilized way. I respect these guys, they're artists, but that's when it got really, really unpleasant."

Whedon explained that there was additional footage shot in the cave, but much of it was cut, as test audiences didn't respond to it.

My experience with the cave is that it seemed to be unrelated to the rest of the movie, nor was it substantial enough to be worth including; I'm not sure why it was there at all, except to give Thor an excuse to come back and

"Death by Corporate Executives" -- add that to the card collection, I guess. Sony execs already butchered AS2.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I enjoyed comic books when I was younger. I went to see the movie, for the sake of ... well getting out of the house. And I don't know why I torture myself so much watching something I know I will not enjoy. I have to wonder if it is because of the fantasy side of the story. I, for some reason, very anti fantasy.