User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: The Leftovers

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    My husband and I were hooked after the first episode. There was just something really compelling about it. Part of what hooked me was that one song they played in the trailers that really kind of nailed the mood for the whole series.
    My God, the music in that show.

I like the composer, Max Richter too.

The music is perfectly coupled with the story and the scenes (actually the story has many unfilled gaps, though I think intentionally). One of many reasons it's so compelling.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    This show is an emotional BOG. I've never seen one like it.

It is an immersion show. Utilizing story, powerful music, top tier acting, and extreme character development, it is a show that tears down the fourth wall and places you smack dab in the middle of the shitstorm.

But what it immerses you in are powerful themes of depression, loss, and grief. NOT for everyone. In fact, possibly traumatic for some.

The last 20 minutes of the season finale almost made it worth that watch though. Something unexpected happened. A powerful ending that leaves the viewer with hope. The bog was so heavy and laden with hopelessness that I was only expecting to to sink in over my head.

Alas, this show took a very hopeful twist. So unexpected, that it made the feelings of relief and joy, that much more poignant.

I sill don't reccomend it for the easily depressed, but anyone that wants to go on a journey through hell AND come out with renewed hope, like Virgil in the Inferno, you probably won't find something better in the next five years.
    Worse than "True Detective"?

Been thinking about watching it, but your reviews are making me uncertain.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It really is an immersive experience. And it's definitely moody. But I still recommend it. I will say that my husband doesn't usually like these kinds of moody pieces, but he found this show very compelling too. The main character, the police chief, is a really well-written and well-acted, nuanced character study. (It helps, for me, that Justin Theroux is super dreamy.)

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

It really is an immersive experience. And it's definitely moody. But I still recommend it. I will say that my husband doesn't usually like these kinds of moody pieces, but he found this show very compelling too. The main character, the police chief, is a really well-written and well-acted, nuanced character study. (It helps, for me, that Justin Theroux is super dreamy.)
    That's a good recommendation!

I should probably finish off one of my angsty shows first, lol. This would be way too much if I watched it along with Breaking Bad (which I'm currently working on).

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yeah, that might be a good idea. I binge-watched Breaking Bad and that didn't do my psyche any favors, lol.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Worse than "True Detective"?

Been thinking about watching it, but your reviews are making me uncertain.
    Oh, give it a shot! Haha. It's great, from a creative perspective.

I definitely recommend it. And my take on it is probably just a "you've been warned."

I mean, there's this cult, and they are practically the living embodiment of Depression. Like it's a part of their manifesto or something.

But it is heavy. Heavier than TD, imo. Like TD, there's definitely periods of comedic relief ("Let's make the car a place of silent reflection") and moments of optimism that seem even more poignant surrounded by all the grief/darkness. But UNlike TD, there doesn't seem to be a lot of satisfaction, story/plot wise. But I don't think there's supposed to be. It's focus is the characters and the general mood. I think I read somewhere that The Leftovers is kind of like a rorschach test for the viewer. You fill in the gaps for yourself.

Watch the first episode, don't let me sway you. I wrote a lot of what I wrote RIGHT after watching the darkest parts of the finale and BEFORE the ending, which is quite powerful, hopeful, and optimistic.

It's already been renewed for a second season, I'll be watching, so you better catch up.

Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Yeah, that might be a good idea. I binge-watched Breaking Bad and that didn't do my psyche any favors, lol.
    Ha! Thankfully I have not been doing that with Breaking Bad. However I DID do that with True Detective, and that was a pretty horrendous mistake. (Didn't help that as a fellow enneagram 1, there was something about Rust's logic that I related to more than I would like. )

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Oh, give it a shot! Haha. It's great, from a creative perspective.

I definitely recommend it. And my take on it is probably just a "you've been warned."

I mean, there's this cult, and they are practically the living embodiment of Depression. Like it's a part of their manifesto or something.

But it is heavy. Heavier than TD, imo. Like TD, there's definitely periods of comedic relief ("Let's make the car a place of silent reflection") and moments of optimism that seem even more poignant surrounded by all the grief/darkness. But UNlike TD, there doesn't seem to be a lot of satisfaction, story/plot wise. But I don't think there's supposed to be. It's focus is the characters and the general mood. I think I read somewhere that The Leftovers is kind of like a rorschach test for the viewer. You fill in the gaps for yourself.

Watch the first episode, don't let me sway you. I wrote a lot of what I wrote RIGHT after watching the darkest parts of the finale and BEFORE the ending, which is quite powerful, hopeful, and optimistic.

It's already been renewed for a second season, I'll be watching, so you better catch up.
    Ooh. Yeah that's a great endorsement too.

Maybe once I'm done with BB, I can watch this while re-watching Twin Peaks!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Ooh, thanks for the reminder- I need to re-watch Twin Peaks too! I really hope it holds up- I LOVED that shit back in the day.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Ooh, thanks for the reminder- I need to re-watch Twin Peaks too! I really hope it holds up- I LOVED that shit back in the day.
    It aged well enough that I loved season 1 when I watched it four years ago! (Never watched season 2)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

I'm 100% straight, but Justin Theroux is a dreamboat.

"Do you think Aimee's really fucking Jill's dad?"
    "Probably! Dude's ripped!"

SPOILERS @Ivy and whoever