User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 33

  1. #21
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    That's BULLSHIT. I demand my female orcs in leather thongs and skimpy chainmail, bikini type armour.

    So I looked up a few things and I think people are pissed (more on that) because she seems, at times, to distort the facts. Like criticizing Watch Dogs for example, for showing naked women on a stage being auctioned off. But leaving out the part that it's a mission to expose and stop a sex trafficking ring.

    There's other examples, but she does seem annoying on several points.
    Yeah, I found her a little single-minded in her approach and I suspected that she might not be looking at full context of some points she made. But just as you say, there is no reason people should be threatening to kill her and those who attend her events. It's like they can't make an argument and instead just have to justify stereotype by threatening real-life violence -- what a horrible horrible irony.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  2. #22
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, I found her a little single-minded in her approach and I suspected that she might not be looking at full context of some points she made. But just as you say, there is no reason people should be threatening to kill her and those who attend her events. It's like they can't make an argument and instead just have to justify stereotype by threatening real-life violence -- what a horrible horrible irony.
    Hey, nothing says "I'm not a violent misogynist" more than "I'll kill you bitch!"
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

  3. #23
    literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot
    Posts
    494

    Default

    "champions of mental gymnastics of the oppression olympics" LMAO 100% agree.

    LMAO @ oppression fetish. GAWD how I hate tumblr.


    Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

    Likes Rasofy liked this post

  4. #24
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    From what I can tell there are several movements afoot.

    First there were the allegations that Zoe Quinn was boning some journalist in exchange for good reviews. This was ultimately bogus, but a bunch of gamers have since banded together against that sort of corruption in video game journalism. Even though that specific incident was not true exactly there is still a lot of corruption in video game journalism, where certain critics from certain publications are given perks, kickbacks and favourable access to the latest products in exchange for good reviews.

    Then a splinter group of misogynist idiots started attacking feminist critics who were critiquing the video game industry for (still) being blatantly sexist, under the guise that these feminist critics are also corrupt and playing favourites. These idiots are the ones who have been threatening feminist writers like Anita Sarkeesian.

    The media jumped all over the rape and death threats and painted the whole 'movement' with the same brush, thereby quashing the criticism from the greater group of gamers who are peeved at the way the incestuous relationship between the video game developers and video game reviewers has tarnished the integrity of video game criticism. So all those people who are pissed off at the video game reviewing industry for being in cahoots with the developers are now painted as misogynist virgin nerds who are angry about the effect of female developers and less overtly male-centric games that are and will be coming down the pipe, because it's attacking the "gaming culture" or some such BS.

    So then all of those people who have legitimate beefs with the integrity of video game reviewers are now pissed off at so-called "Social Justice Warriors" who have glommed on to the feminist cause and are painting them (the gamers) as misogynist virgin nerds because it's 1) insulting, and 2) squelching legitimate criticism by using feminism as a rallying point even though it has little to do with the overarching issues that these gamers are mad about.


    At least this is the play-by-play as far as I can tell.
    My inside experience (which maybe you have, too, I don't know if you're a gamer or not) is that few people really cared about ethical journalism and references to such are often dog whistles. If find the claims about journalistic integrity kind of like people talking about how the American Confederacy fought for state's rights and economics factors and basically anything other than slavery. Truth is, it fought for slavery, but that position is impossible to justify in our culture at this point, so sympathizers have to make up something else.

    As has been pointed out in many of the articles published on this, if these people really wanted to attack the problems in gaming journalism, why do they choose such non-influential targets? And being such a long running problem, why did it only blow up into something after a faux scandal involving a woman's sex life? It's not hard to read between the lines.

    What I'd say to those who tag along with this narrative because they really do care about journalism in gaming is this; realize your image problem and the problem faced by your message is because of those misogynist assholes, and that they are your main target if you want to get away. Don't associate with the, don't use their phrases, and make a point to explicitly reject them. Understand that these guys have warranted the attention, and the attention is very justifiably negative, that is the reality you have to deal with now.

    Try this as analogy. Let's say your primary goal is bringing investment to public goods in poor rural areas. Sounds great. Let's say somehow in the process of that you are joined in your mission by the KKK. Following this, suppose you freely accept the KKK's support, borrow phrases from the KKK, refuse to condemn the KKK, and just get mad at everyone else when they express criticism of your relationship. In that case, you are screwing up, and you're screwing up your goal, too. Your problem is the KKK, not the people who noticed that problem.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right
    Likes Ivy, Totenkindly liked this post

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    My inside experience...
    I don't have "inside experience". I play video games occasionally, but I am not a 'gamer'.

    And don't write in second-person unless you're directly addressing the reader. Especially when you're being preachy. You quoted me, so you're directly addressing me. Don't tell me what to do about it; I'm not going to do anything about because I'm not involved.

  6. #26
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm still appalled that people would actively be threatening to murder fellow citizens just because they attended an event she was at. How far gone do you have to be to not realize how messed up you are in that regard?
    I think the general response is more disturbing. The reason is that we all know there are some really disturbed people here and there, and maybe this comes from one of those people who incidentally started buying into this gamergate stuff instead of anything else that could fuel their disturbed impulses. You can shrug that off in a way. What's scarier is all the people on forums and comment sections responding to this by trying to minimize it in some way. Treating it as a joke, saying it's messed up but not unprovoked, attempting to simply stop discussion about it in favor of their own grievances, or craziest of all, actually claiming that this is a "false flag" used by Sarkeesian and others to get more publicity or strengthen their attacks on gamers. That suggests something about a broader culture which is either paranoid or lacking compassion (probably both).

    Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I don't have "inside experience". I play video games occasionally, but I am not a 'gamer'.

    And don't write in second-person unless you're directly addressing the reader. Especially when you're being preachy. You quoted me, so you're directly addressing me. Don't tell me what to do about it; I'm not going to do anything about because I'm not involved.
    You might have noticed the use of the word "you" following the statement "what I would say to those who..."
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  7. #27
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    834

    Default

    "Gaming used to be for smart kids, the geeks & nerds, now it's everybody. Now sport games brought in the jocks, any brainless shit can play a shooter and you don't even need to know how a keyboard works with a console."
    - the entitled thoughts of 5 dumb little kids (Myself among them), circa 1995


  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    You might have noticed the use of the word "you" following the statement "what I would say to those who..."
    Oh I did. Don't tell me what you would tell them, tell them what you would tell them. Or if you want to tell me what you would tell them, write in third-person, because you...

    Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    ...don't write in second-person unless you're directly addressing the reader.

  9. #29
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Oh I did. Don't tell me what you would tell them, tell them what you would tell them. Or if you want to tell me what you would tell them, write in third-person, because you...
    Phobik is very confused by what I'm reading.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Phobik is very confused by what I'm reading.
    One would understand if they read it one word at a time.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 02:06 AM
  2. The Video Game Industry
    By Nadir in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-27-2010, 12:35 PM
  3. Who's watching the opening MLB game in the morning?
    By swordpath in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 03:06 PM
  4. "The Darkness" video game review...
    By The Ü™ in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 01:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO