User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Let me give you a summary of what I think. It may sound a little trite, and it's presumably not 100% accurate, but it's how it appears to me. The kind of person who participates in this gamergate cause(?) if you can call it that, is someone who feels terribly insecure but found some sort of security in games or being a gamer. That is, someone who felt unimportant, or felt important but that their importance wasn't appreciated, who incidentally at first, got into video games, and through their dedication to video games managed to establish themselves in a gaming culture which gave them the sense of importance that nothing else did. They could claim to be experts. They could claim to be masters. They could claim to be representatives of an archetypal identity. They could claim to be a vital voice in a commercial industry. All the sorts of importance you could want.

We could talk about why these people were usually male, or usually white, or not typically poor, there's a bunch of hypotheses you could come up with. We could also easily make claims (and people do perhaps too often) about why a socially frustrated person would be more likely to turn to video games as a hobby. Whatever the reason, that seems to have happened in the beginning, but maintaining all of those forms of importance list above becomes harder the more your interested becomes popular. You will inevitably become a smaller share of the population involved, and the defining traits of the participant will become blurrier.

So what you get is a certain semi-homogeneous group of people who feel that their only source of importance is being threatened with coming to an end by the growing pluralism and populism of the gaming industry. As trivial as the subject of video games in and of themselves may sound, for these guys, we're talking about something bordering on an existential threat.

EDIT: I should add, to address a really generic complaint, that my description is not supposed to be one of every person who makes the gamergate arguments or aligns with that cause, but rather what I see as the core. Collective behavior like this tends to have a more extreme core that often defines the direction of the group, while also having a large periphery of people who are on board because they may agree with only some of the arguments or feel only some of the sentiments, but they are less organized and more quiet and tend to get dragged around by the core.
    From what I can tell there are several movements afoot.

First there were the allegations that Zoe Quinn was boning some journalist in exchange for good reviews. This was ultimately bogus, but a bunch of gamers have since banded together against that sort of corruption in video game journalism. Even though that specific incident was not true exactly there is still a lot of corruption in video game journalism, where certain critics from certain publications are given perks, kickbacks and favourable access to the latest products in exchange for good reviews.

Then a splinter group of misogynist idiots started attacking feminist critics who were critiquing the video game industry for (still) being blatantly sexist, under the guise that these feminist critics are also corrupt and playing favourites. These idiots are the ones who have been threatening feminist writers like Anita Sarkeesian.

The media jumped all over the rape and death threats and painted the whole 'movement' with the same brush, thereby quashing the criticism from the greater group of gamers who are peeved at the way the incestuous relationship between the video game developers and video game reviewers has tarnished the integrity of video game criticism. So all those people who are pissed off at the video game reviewing industry for being in cahoots with the developers are now painted as misogynist virgin nerds who are angry about the effect of female developers and less overtly male-centric games that are and will be coming down the pipe, because it's attacking the "gaming culture" or some such BS.

So then all of those people who have legitimate beefs with the integrity of video game reviewers are now pissed off at so-called "Social Justice Warriors" who have glommed on to the feminist cause and are painting them (the gamers) as misogynist virgin nerds because it's 1) insulting, and 2) squelching legitimate criticism by using feminism as a rallying point even though it has little to do with the overarching issues that these gamers are mad about.

At least this is the play-by-play as far as I can tell.
    Likes Totenkindly, Chanaynay liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Why is there so much hatred against Anita Sarkeesian? I don't see anything wrong with what she's doing, nor do her words and actions warrant any harassment/death threats against her.

I've lost all faith in the gaming community now. This is just messed up, seriously.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

There's no reason to lose faith in the gaming community. Anita Sarkeesian is PART of the gaming community. There are plenty of gamers who are not raging misogynists. Hell, nearly half of them are women (according to the ESA: The Entertainment Software Association - Game Player Data).
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    There's no reason to lose faith in the gaming community. Anita Sarkeesian is PART of the gaming community. There are plenty of gamers who are not raging misogynists. Hell, nearly half of them are women (according to the ESA: The Entertainment Software Association - Game Player Data).
    Well, when you put it that way, I suppose I shouldn't lose faith then.

Still, I've been more than disturbed by the hate comments I saw while scrolling through responses to some of her tweets (or tweets made by followers on her page). Also, I get extremely annoyed with people who say things like, "Why can't we just focus on Ebola and ISIS instead of this?" Okay, I know that those two issues are important - but that doesn't (and shouldn't) make this particular topic any less important.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Believe me, I'm right there with you on being disturbed by it. It's pretty fucked up.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Coolest Girl in School challenges its players to get through the day with a period stain on their skirts.
    This game sounds hilarious
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

So what the hell exactly did this woman say to piss off these guys that probably are already pissed off at the whole of Womankind to begin with?
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    So what the hell exactly did this woman say to piss off these guys that probably are already pissed off at the whole of Womankind to begin with?
    Female orcs should wear plate/hide armor and not be sexay?

She's got enough vids out. You should watch one. I don't necessarily agree with everything she says, but the discourse was civil, as much as anything you'd see here on the forum and then enter a discussion; it's apparently just the ideas (and how they ping off their own fears/issues) that are disturbing to some members of the gaming community.

I'm still appalled that people would actively be threatening to murder fellow citizens just because they attended an event she was at. How far gone do you have to be to not realize how messed up you are in that regard?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Vasilisa, Ivy, PocketFullOf liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    This game sounds hilarious
    I know right

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Female orcs should wear plate/hide armor and not be sexay?

She's got enough vids out. You should watch one. I don't necessarily agree with everything she says, but the discourse was civil, as much as anything you'd see here on the forum and then enter a discussion; it's apparently just the ideas (and how they ping off their own fears/issues) that are disturbing to some members of the gaming community.

I'm still appalled that people would actively be threatening to murder fellow citizens just because they attended an event she was at. How far gone do you have to be to not realize how messed up you are in that regard?
    That's BULLSHIT. I demand my female orcs in leather thongs and skimpy chainmail, bikini type armour.

So I looked up a few things and I think people are pissed (more on that) because she seems, at times, to distort the facts. Like criticizing Watch Dogs for example, for showing naked women on a stage being auctioned off. But leaving out the part that it's a mission to expose and stop a sex trafficking ring.

There's other examples, but she does seem annoying on several points.

But yeah, I listened to a short NPR interview where she says she canceled a Utah college event, because police couldn't/wouldn't do anything about the carry conceal gun laws there. Like, WTF is wrong with people to react in such repugnant ways to someone's OPINIONS so much so that this woman fears for her life?
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post