• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ARGHHHH! Fallout: New Vegas

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've owned the sandbox game Fallout: New Vegas for a number of years now. I still play it now and then. I'm on level 31 with still a long way to go. I have never managed to capture Hoover Dam, although I came close one time. I've started the game over again twice over the years.

I fired up the game yesterday after months of non-play. It was level 31, and what I found was this: My character had no bottle caps (i.e., money), no weapons, no clothes, no armor, and was running low on HP. This indicates that someone else was playing my character, and I know just who it was...

So I backed the game up a few saved memory locations, but made no progress in the game after an hour of playing.

What's the point, really? I want to know.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Almost a year later, and I still don't know what the point is. But after hearing about Fallout 4's long-awaited arrival I decided to dust off my Fallout: New Vegas game. The first game save point is dated 1/12/2011. In December I will have owned this game for 4 years and still haven't made any real progress toward beating it. The top memory slot says I'm on level 31 (re, the OP, meaning I haven't done anything since almost a year ago with the game). But I decided to move down to another slot which is on level 17.

Since playing again I find that somehow I've gotten better with no practice. The game suddenly and for no reason makes sense to me now. I don't understand how I in previous years was even able to fumble my way clear up to level 31. How stupid I was on this game in the past.

I feel like Dr. McCoy in the Star Trek episode "Spock's Brain" - at the 2:40 point of this video:

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hope you're siding with Yes Man.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love Yes Man. But right now I'm still dealing with Mr. House on this level of the game.
Get a high Science skill, hack your way through the Lucky 38 Control Room, open up his isolation chamber and beat him to death with a golf club.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Get a high Science skill, hack your way through the Lucky 38 Control Room, open up his isolation chamber and beat him to death with a golf club.

Through all these years I've probably done in Mr. House about 3 times, either with or without a golf club. Then I replaced him with the Yes Man.

It's obvious he's a bad guy (chameleon type 3) because his real self is revealed to be so butt-ugly.

But I wonder if I didn't kill him too soon in the game? Was there something special I might have missed by not keeping him around longer?

And how does one gain an army of robot companions from the Legion?

Edit- oh yes, by not obeying Caesar's orders to destroy them all.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just can't believe how stupidly I was playing this game. I feel the need to visit the forum's Confessions thread.

Here's a Killing Mr. House video:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't need the Confessions thread.

I'm a Mario gamer. I harken back to the NES, the SNES, and the NU64. Super Mario 64 was more sand-boxy like Fallout, and it was difficult for me. But Fallout: New Vegas makes the NU64 Mario look like chickenshit gaming.

Here's a short list of the things I was doing wrong in New Vegas while playing on and off for 3 years:

1. Allowing my companions to get killed and then just trudging on without them. I should have back-tracked in the game saves and recovered these very helpful game characters every time.

2. Failing to utilize my environs for survival necessities. I didn't quite grasp what the campfires were for because they didn't do anything. But the reason they didn't do anything was that I wasn't "harvesting" any of various plants and killed animals. I would harvest them randomly and without rhyme or reason. But the campfires are used to combine these elements into survival objects. I kind of knew about it, but I didn't understand how it worked. (I'll also make sure to check out the latest issue of "Lad's Life" the next time I encounter a campfire.)

3. Failing to transfer items to my travel companions when I was overencumbered. Even Rex the dog can carry an awful lot of shit. Instead I would just drop them.

4. Instead of learning and playing smarter at each failure, I was playing harder - which meant playing against the game, not with it.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But sometimes I wonder if I didn't kill him too soon in the game? Was there something special I might have missed by not keeping him around longer?
Nothing more than an opportunity to do his quests and side with him in the battle of Hoover Dam. One of the disappointments of the game was killing off all the big bads like Mr. House and Caesar before the showdown at Hoover Dam and it having no consequences whatsoever in the game except a few NPC's saying something like "So you're the guy who killed Caesar?" in passing. Kinda blunted the satisfaction of storming and wiping out an entire camp of evil legionnares and seeing their leader die in an explosion of blood and guts.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nothing more than an opportunity to do his quests and side with him in the battle of Hoover Dam. One of the disappointments of the game was killing off all the big bads like Mr. House and Caesar before the showdown at Hoover Dam and it having no consequences whatsoever in the game except a few NPC's saying something like "So you're the guy who killed Caesar?" in passing. Kinda blunted the satisfaction of storming and wiping out an entire camp of evil legionnares and seeing their leader die in an explosion of blood and guts.

You probably got at least 600 xp for it. What more do you want?

Edit - shit, i'm probably just jealous of you anyway.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Once I found boxing gloves I was set.

But spiked knuckles are killer. I don't know how many hits it takes with boxing gloves, but with bare fists (and no perks) it takes 32 hits to kill an opponent. With spiked knuckles it only requires 4 hits.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I see what you did there.

Do you know it's possible to delete a post?

As for your original response, I agree. I just don't have the money for that other thing you mentioned.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You probably got at least 600 xp for it. What more do you want?
I want actions that go off-script to also have an impact on the world. An awesome example of this is this scene from Deus Ex:

At that point, you don't really have a motive to kill her. She's still your colleague at the agency you both work for. The option of killing her isn't even presented to you. You have the freedom to, however, and doing so will affect the story in fairly significant ways, at least more significant than just an off-hand mention of her death by random NPCs. What I want is freedom of choice, but for my choices to have any real meaning, it's necessary they have consequences. That's what makes the scene I posted so amazing, and Deus Ex one of the greatest games of all time.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
But spiked knuckles are killer. I don't know how many hits it takes with boxing gloves, but with bare fists (and no perks) it takes 32 hits to kill an opponent. With spiked knuckles it only requires 4 hits.

Oh yeah. I just liked fatiguing people then switching weapons and battering them.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I haven't finished New Vegas.....I really need to get back to playing it....maybe I van when my marriage is a bit more solid....

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just started a new Fallout 3 file with the goal of being an evil bitch. I just got the dream crusher perk as a reward for dissuading Moira from publishing her stupid little survival zine. Muahhaha

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just started a new Fallout 3 file with the goal of being an evil bitch. I just got the dream crusher perk as a reward for dissuading Moira from publishing her stupid little survival zine. Muahhaha

Haha. I tried to play it as the bad guy once, even triggered the bomb to go off, went to live in the big tower until I killed everyone there too.... it was fun but so not me. In open ended RPGs, I usually am a pretty good guy first and try to play a bad guy on the replay but it is a real struggle.... my innate good nature sides through.... I couldn't even do much in GTA or Hitman games because they are too far from my nature.....