123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default ARGHHHH! Fallout: New Vegas

I've owned the sandbox game Fallout: New Vegas for a number of years now. I still play it now and then. I'm on level 31 with still a long way to go. I have never managed to capture Hoover Dam, although I came close one time. I've started the game over again twice over the years.

I fired up the game yesterday after months of non-play. It was level 31, and what I found was this: My character had no bottle caps (i.e., money), no weapons, no clothes, no armor, and was running low on HP. This indicates that someone else was playing my character, and I know just who it was...

So I backed the game up a few saved memory locations, but made no progress in the game after an hour of playing.

What's the point, really? I want to know.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Almost a year later, and I still don't know what the point is. But after hearing about Fallout 4's long-awaited arrival I decided to dust off my Fallout: New Vegas game. The first game save point is dated 1/12/2011. In December I will have owned this game for 4 years and still haven't made any real progress toward beating it. The top memory slot says I'm on level 31 (re, the OP, meaning I haven't done anything since almost a year ago with the game). But I decided to move down to another slot which is on level 17.

Since playing again I find that somehow I've gotten better with no practice. The game suddenly and for no reason makes sense to me now. I don't understand how I in previous years was even able to fumble my way clear up to level 31. How stupid I was on this game in the past.

I feel like Dr. McCoy in the Star Trek episode "Spock's Brain" - at the 2:40 point of this video:

Likes Video, Hawthorne liked this post

I hope you're siding with Yes Man.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    I hope you're siding with Yes Man.
    I love Yes Man. But right now I'm still dealing with Mr. House on this level of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I love Yes Man. But right now I'm still dealing with Mr. House on this level of the game.
    Get a high Science skill, hack your way through the Lucky 38 Control Room, open up his isolation chamber and beat him to death with a golf club.

I FEEL ALRIGHT
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Get a high Science skill, hack your way through the Lucky 38 Control Room, open up his isolation chamber and beat him to death with a golf club.
    Through all these years I've probably done in Mr. House about 3 times, either with or without a golf club. Then I replaced him with the Yes Man.

It's obvious he's a bad guy (chameleon type 3) because his real self is revealed to be so butt-ugly.

But I wonder if I didn't kill him too soon in the game? Was there something special I might have missed by not keeping him around longer?

And how does one gain an army of robot companions from the Legion?

Edit- oh yes, by not obeying Caesar's orders to destroy them all.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I just can't believe how stupidly I was playing this game. I feel the need to visit the forum's Confessions thread.

Here's a Killing Mr. House video:

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I don't need the Confessions thread.

I'm a Mario gamer. I harken back to the NES, the SNES, and the NU64. Super Mario 64 was more sand-boxy like Fallout, and it was difficult for me. But Fallout: New Vegas makes the NU64 Mario look like chickenshit gaming.

Here's a short list of the things I was doing wrong in New Vegas while playing on and off for 3 years:

1. Allowing my companions to get killed and then just trudging on without them. I should have back-tracked in the game saves and recovered these very helpful game characters every time.

2. Failing to utilize my environs for survival necessities. I didn't quite grasp what the campfires were for because they didn't do anything. But the reason they didn't do anything was that I wasn't "harvesting" any of various plants and killed animals. I would harvest them randomly and without rhyme or reason. But the campfires are used to combine these elements into survival objects. I kind of knew about it, but I didn't understand how it worked. (I'll also make sure to check out the latest issue of "Lad's Life" the next time I encounter a campfire.)

3. Failing to transfer items to my travel companions when I was overencumbered. Even Rex the dog can carry an awful lot of shit. Instead I would just drop them.

4. Instead of learning and playing smarter at each failure, I was playing harder - which meant playing against the game, not with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    But sometimes I wonder if I didn't kill him too soon in the game? Was there something special I might have missed by not keeping him around longer?
    Nothing more than an opportunity to do his quests and side with him in the battle of Hoover Dam. One of the disappointments of the game was killing off all the big bads like Mr. House and Caesar before the showdown at Hoover Dam and it having no consequences whatsoever in the game except a few NPC's saying something like "So you're the guy who killed Caesar?" in passing. Kinda blunted the satisfaction of storming and wiping out an entire camp of evil legionnares and seeing their leader die in an explosion of blood and guts.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Nothing more than an opportunity to do his quests and side with him in the battle of Hoover Dam. One of the disappointments of the game was killing off all the big bads like Mr. House and Caesar before the showdown at Hoover Dam and it having no consequences whatsoever in the game except a few NPC's saying something like "So you're the guy who killed Caesar?" in passing. Kinda blunted the satisfaction of storming and wiping out an entire camp of evil legionnares and seeing their leader die in an explosion of blood and guts.
    You probably got at least 600 xp for it. What more do you want?

Edit - shit, i'm probably just jealous of you anyway.