MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Gone Girl

Did anyone else see this?

I've never read the book, so I'm curious to hear from readers in terms of how it might match up.

The movie started slow for me in terms of my interest (I've never been much of a Ben Afflect fan either), and the tonal shifts were a little distracting, but as it turns out where the movie went and how it ended are lingering on me a few hours later and are just plain disturbing to me in a way that the straightforward crime approach the movie began as would not have been. It's kind of unsettling.

Affleck was solid, as was almost everyone in the cast (lots of good work casting not-quite-famous actors here), although this was kind of a tour de force by Rosamund Pike. This film could actually be a huge break for her in terms of her name becoming part of popular culture; she pulled off this role in a more natural way than even Nicole Kidman has.

As far as theme, to quote from the review I wrote up:

The film plays with perspective and truth a great deal, although by movie’s end we have a decent understanding of the most important facts of the story. It’s unclear for a while how reliable the different narrators are, and meanwhile there’s an underlying interplay with the US media which is constantly spinning stories and judging people in the court of public entertainment. What is guilt and innocence but the stories we spin based on the facts we find most interesting and that resonate with core feelings within ourselves? The movie highlights how fictions are not merely the product of the spinners but the audience as well, by how they respond to and modify the narratives with their own energy. Everyone is complicit in the convenient twisting and pillaging of the facts, until public opinion and cultural narrative become the only story that matters.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes riva liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

It was a good movie but not really my kind of thing. I'm sure a lot of people love it though.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 10-11-2014 at 07:09 PM. Reason: oops, edited wrong post *doh*

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think their budget was only around $60 million and they made $38 million opening weekend.

EDIT: IN other news... trailers.

I covered my eyes and ears during INterstellar because I really want to go into that movie cold and not have it all ruined for me.

THey also ran the 50 Shades of Gray trailer. Yikes, it was all pretty much "p0rn for women," the dialogue, the casting, the story, i was laughing out loud it was so geared towards everything that "generic women" want to hear. Dear god. Afterwards, a bunch of women started laughing. It was pretty cray.

Then they ran the Fury trailer, which had "Man movie" written all over it.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I saw Gone Girl. Excellent. They could have ended it after a little over an hour and it would have been a good movie, but it kept getting better.

One line stuck with me. It's the most succinct summary of this film I can think of: "You two are the most fucked up people I've ever met."
    Never read the book.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    One line stuck with me. It's the most succinct summary of this film I can think of: "You two are the most fucked up people I've ever met.".
    yeah, that one really leaped out at me too, and you're totally right. Just... wow.

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I've finally seen it. Loved what it tried to convey, though there were parts that fell short in terms of characters revealing in order to convince the audience (I guess the book did a better job (?) )
    Loved the OST work by Trent Reznor.

| | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    Likes senza tema, swordpath, Totenkindly, riva liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I really liked Nick's sister (Margo?). She provided a kind of "stabilizing force" to the narrative and the "everyman's view" of the proceedings. It's one of the movies that could screw with your head otherwise, based on the ambiguous narrative POV.

Tyler Perry (who I hadn't really seen in a movie before, I think) was actually really excellent as the lawyer. Later I read that he wouldn't have done the film if he had known what it was about. I think he was another stabilizing force in the narrative.

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Tyler Perry (who I hadn't really seen in a movie before, I think) was actually really excellent as the lawyer. Later I read that he wouldn't have done the film if he had known what it was about. I think he was another stabilizing force in the narrative.
    That Tyler Perry is a rich guy who makes terribly sappy movies about relationships and marriages, with only black actors and for black folks community. It's funny how he "wouldn't have done the film if he had known what it was about", while it is actually the one singular role he has done that makes people take him seriously.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    That Tyler Perry is a rich guy who makes terribly sappy movies about relationships and marriages, with only black actors and for black folks community. It's funny how he "wouldn't have done the film if he had known what it was about", while it is actually the one singular role he has done that makes people take him seriously.
    Yeah, that was my impression of him through the grapevine / movie gossip, and so I was surprised at how well he nailed this character and made him likeable and competent.

Only 9 replies?

Wow I loved this movie. Absolutely loved it. I didn't even mind the drag; infact it didn't feel like a drag. I am not talking about the acting (I am still not much into acting and camera angles etc), I am purely talking about the script.

It's probably one of the best written movie plots I have seen in a year or more.

I'd recommend it to anyone. Okay not anyone - I have a friend who said the New Robocop movie was the best movie he has ever seen. That guy would hate it.

Is it just me or movies taken from novels (or even comics) are much better than from a script to a movie???

I believe the Batman trilology and X-men Days from the future past (although edited for have-more-famous-stars-in-the-movie reason) are also from Comics? They rocked and that is why I included comics above.
    Likes senza tema liked this post