User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Gone Girl

Hollywood please make movies with better scripts than spending more money on graphics and 3D.

Get a few famous actors if you want to sell it. That seems to work all the time.

Edit -

I was half expecting Jennifer and Arctic to have watched the movie and liked it. Pinky swear.

^ Agreed Arctic agreed. I don't recall the names but I know I have seen one or two movies like that before.

MBTI
    IXTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

I never read the book (not my sort of book) but I enjoyed the movie. Good performances from Rosamund Pike, Ben Affleck and Tyler Perry and the guy from how I met your mother I really liked the ending to, rosamund was genuinely scary.

Quote Originally Posted by NatDormer View Post
    I never read the book (not my sort of book) but I enjoyed the movie. Good performances from Rosamund Pike, Ben Affleck and Tyler Perry and the guy from how I met your mother I really liked the ending to, rosamund was genuinely scary.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The guy from "When I Met your Mother?"
    Don't you mean the guy from "Doogie Howser, MD?" Or "Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog?"

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    I was half expecting Jennifer and Arctic to have watched the movie and liked it. Pinky swear.

I liked it for other reasons.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^ Not going to tell us these reasons?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I already stated stuff in the thread and quoted my off-site review:
    https://whatjennysaw.wordpress.com/2.../11/gone-girl/

Part of it resonated because I was heavily invested in following the Laci Peterson murder as it was unfolding. A lot of the story here was cribbed from that case (aside from Laci of course actually being murdered and later found). So I had a lot of familiarity with where some of the storyline was going.

The mid-movie twist, I didn't enjoy at first, it made the story different than I had been led to believe; but then once I committed to it and tracked it, that was interesting in itself, as you can be a manipulator but sometimes you get caught up in your own manipulations and then need a way to extract yourself. The resolution was simple and obvious in hindsight... but very very cold.

Mostly I liked having unreliable narrators + a movie where the media itself was yet another character. And while Nancy Grace is a caricature on TV, the caricature of her in the movie developed a little depth by brazenly revealing she knows what she is doing (rather than being oblivious) and thus cannily playing things in a way to accomplish her goals.

This is mainly a movie about spin. Everyone is spinning a story... and even the spinners are being spun by others. Does anyone actually ever know the truth?

Of course, Rosamund Pike offered an amazing performance.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Axwell liked this post

MBTI
    IXTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post

I haven't watched House of Cards yet, is it good?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The guy from "When I Met your Mother?"
    Don't you mean the guy from "Doogie Howser, MD?" Or "Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog?"

I liked it for other reasons.
    I thought it was How I Met your Mother

I would also like to know the reasons!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think House of Cards is excellent ... and it's filmed right here in Baltimore where I live.

I mean, I'm not usually into the "political intrigue" stuff as much, but the acting was very good and it's interesting to watch Frank manipulate the system and his myriad relationships as if it were all one huge strategy game.

And of course, players come on the board... and can also leave quite abruptly. Some of the best moments were being shocked to realize certain characters were even more tainted than you realized.

Thank you Jennifer for that. I didn't know it was partly inspired from a real event.

I was shocked by the plot twist. For me it was a pleasant shock. However, it was not what I was expecting. I was expecting a movie based on media reactions and how people react. And maybe a plot twist at the end where the real killer is revealed.

I think that would have been nice too. However, it might have become a drag.

I haven't watched House of Cards yet, is it good?
    Yesss!

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME????????

Some Sri Lankan guy tagged me, perhaps to learn whether I liked the film. I did. Yes, I did. I admired her meticulousness, although she is obviously a pretty sick bitch.
    Likes chickpea liked this post