First 345

Thread: Breaking Bad

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I had a lot of sympathy for his parents. I saw them as attempting, imperfectly, to establish boundaries with a son who has proven time and time and time again that he's a liar and a junkie and not someone who can be trusted. I understood why his dad was cold and wary, even when he saw Jesse cleaned up and drug free. It takes a lot of time to gain that trust back.

At the same time, it's important, when your loved one is an addict, to remain open-hearted even while you're establishing those boundaries. So I did still think that revenge scene was satisfying.
    I agree with you about his parents, although having dealt with addicts like Jessie, there is a point anyone would reach where unless they are hard wired to be of service some how they will say, enough is enough as the parents did.

Sometimes parents hang on longer than siblings but everyone has a shut off point.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Finished this show lately, liked it a lot.

One of the few TV shows which deserves all the hype about it. Exceeded my expectations, which were high enough to be honest, had just finished The Shield lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's also interesting to compare Hank vs Walt. I guess you remember "One Minute" (great episode!). Hank screws up bad at times, he's a tarnished hero, but when the chips are down, he doesn't hold himself above the law. Meanwhile, Walt might be more open-minded about some things, but when the chips are down, he will do what he has to in order to survive and/or avoid culpability. It's an important contrast that only deepens over time.
    Walt is no hero. You’re set up to “understand” why he wouldn’t take “charity” from his friends, and you do, but if he was really thinking of his family (and not himself), he would have—obviously that would’ve been much better for them than bringing in vast sums of money that couldn’t be explained. And it’s ironic that an INTJ-ish character who plans and thinks ahead (in contrast to Jessie, right?) turns out to be clueless about what he was getting himself (and his family that he is supposedly doing all this for) into by becoming involved with the underworld.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Cracking up -- "Metastasis," the Spanish remake of Breaking Bad, is now on Netflix.

I watched most of Ozymandias and now the finale, just to compare.

The scariest part is how much the lead actually DOES look and act like Bryan Cranston, especially the bald version. It's nuts -- he's got that weird "mouth gaping / jaw jutting" thing that Cranston did by the end of the series. You only know it's not Cranston when you get a direct front shot, but there's a lot of stuff from the side and distance where you'd think it was him.

Unfortunately, the pacing is kind of too fast, they don't give the lines room to breathe really, and the acting is a bit over the top versus more nuanced. But otherwise it's like they just remade each scene straight from the original; there are a few line changes here and there. It's clear the actors watched the entire series, it's like watching Cosplay or something.

I laugh at some of the dialogue translations (it's all close-captioned). For example, the scene where Walter tells Jessie about Jane in Ozymandias:

Wait.
    Remember that girl you had?
    That you loved so much, Juana?
    I watched her die, you know?
    I was there the night she died.
    I was standing there.
    You were both completely wasted
    until she began throwing up.
    I saw her choking on her own barf and did nothing.
    I could have saved her but I didn't.

Sorry, I can't take the word "barf" seriously.

But a lot of it plays out just like the original. They did trade in the happier scene in the American version scene for the one where Jesse recognizes Walt has cancer (because his grandmother had cancer) way back, to kick off Ozymandias. Holly / Valentina is older too in this version. Other small things. But it's weird -- it's like watching the "BizarroWorld" version.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch liked this post

MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    7w8 so
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I am with Walter White all the way, you know making meth, killing gus and called his wife a dog and using people for his gaib.
    ALL HE IS STERIOOOOODS!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by draon9 View Post
    I am with Walter White all the way, you know making meth, killing gus and called his wife a dog and using people for his gaib.
    ALL HE IS STERIOOOOODS!
    I feel bad for Gus.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft