Thread: Breaking Bad

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    ^ I agree. Though I do think they strategically use the consequences of meth addiction, to remind the main characters and the audience of just what they're getting into. "Just FYI, everybody: THIS is what their 'business' is about. THIS is what they're creating."

Examples:
    1) The "Peekaboo" episode
    2) Jesse's parents
    3) The house where Jesse stays when he's depressed/in mourning, in season 2
    Yeah, those are good examples and really the few that I can remember (I mentioned the junkie couple). The thing with Jesse's parents is that they're not presented in a good light; I had initial sympathy for them, but their "no prisoners" attitude (leading them to misjudge Jesse early on and be blind to their other "good" son's pot use) kind of lead to you wanting to tell them to lighten up... and then Jesse getting the house at half-price is seen as "them getting what they deserve" for being so cold to him. It's kind of the same with the Schwartzes who really don't do anything 'wrong' through all their earlier appearances; they can be a bit superficial in places, but Walt really does take advantage of them as part of his lies and Gretchen has a really valid bone to pick with him (along with his ditching their relationship for no explained reason) ... but in the finale we're all kind of amused by what goes down, at their expense, simply because they seem to have written Walt out of the company history in order to protect their stock price.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The thing with Jesse's parents is that they're not presented in a good light; I had initial sympathy for them, but their "no prisoners" attitude (leading them to misjudge Jesse early on and be blind to their other "good" son's pot use) kind of lead to you wanting to tell them to lighten up... and then Jesse getting the house at half-price is seen as "them getting what they deserve" for being so cold to him.
    I had a lot of sympathy for his parents. I saw them as attempting, imperfectly, to establish boundaries with a son who has proven time and time and time again that he's a liar and a junkie and not someone who can be trusted. I understood why his dad was cold and wary, even when he saw Jesse cleaned up and drug free. It takes a lot of time to gain that trust back.

At the same time, it's important, when your loved one is an addict, to remain open-hearted even while you're establishing those boundaries. So I did still think that revenge scene was satisfying.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I had a lot of sympathy for his parents. I saw them as attempting, imperfectly, to establish boundaries with a son who has proven time and time and time again that he's a liar and a junkie and not someone who can be trusted. I understood why his dad was cold and wary, even when he saw Jesse cleaned up and drug free. It takes a lot of time to gain that trust back.
    ... yeah, and I think that's what they were trying to convey. It introduced a mental conundrum for me -- "Your kid is an addict who MEANS WELL but at the same time has failed repeatedly and you can no longer trust him. What do you do?" That's such a difficult line to walk as a parent and as a person, due to how it forces you to live in a raw and painful place, so I can't say I am trying to blame them when I say my experience of them is that they eventually veered off the side of frustration and became cynical as in the scenes where Jesse was interacting with them, he actually was trying to be authentic, and some of their assumptions about him finally happened to be wrong.

... yet, if you step back and look at the big picture, their son WAS producing meth, he WAS still doing some drug-binging now and then (he uses the house he buys from them for wild drug binge parties at a point or two), and he does some other awful things. It's cold consolation to say, "But Jesse didn't mean to, he was trying so hard to break out!" when he still was doing all those things.

Yet audience sympathy does paint Jesse as a favorite. People say, "He's the soul/conscience of the cast." In the interviews I listened to with Gilligan, he doesn't like to create didactic moral dramas... he just likes to throw everything on the table and shake it all out to its natural conclusions, even if he has personal opinions on what is happening. You kind of have to live in this mental space with people like Jesse who are really struggling in terms of their actual souls and defying labels or actually wearing multiple ones. (Even Jesse condemns himself near the end, when he confesses his real reasons for attending group, because he's sick of the facilitator exonerating all forms of immorality to create a safe space... If Jesse cannot be judged, who then CAN be? Is EVERYTHING okay to do regardless of how it hurts people?)

I guess one can say Jesse has a soul simply because he actively tries to break out a few times (and backslides), and is the most tormented of the cast over what he has done. Also, his love for kids and his passion to protect them goes a long way... but it's just crazy since it can be young adults / teens who get hooked on meth. Skinny Pete and Badger, despite being druggies, only seem to show the positive end (aside from being kinda mentally addled) rather than the negative.

At the same time, it's important, when your loved one is an addict, to remain open-hearted even while you're establishing those boundaries. So I did still think that revenge scene was satisfying.
    I gotta say, it did feel good to see him pull up, have them tell him to get lost, and then take out the keys and walking to HIS house as they stand there in stunned disbelief. You can almost hear him yell, "Yeah, MY house, bitches!"

For Postlude character wrapups:

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Too funny... well, except for the old lady.

It's no secret that Breaking Bad has turned Albuquerque into a tourist destination over the past several years. You can buy baggies of blue rock candy that resemble Walt and Jessie's cook, the same concoction that was used as a prop during the show's first two seasons. You can swing by the Crossroads Motel, where Wendy turns tricks in season 1, or take your car through Octopus Car Wash (A1A Car Wash on the show), which the White family used as a drug front. Most fans, however, just want to see Walt's house. Unfortunately, as Vince Gilligan noted on yesterday's Better Call Saul insider podcast, some "jagoffs" are reenacting the infamous pizza-on-the-roof scene and being rude to the old woman who lives there.

"There is nothing original or funny or cool about throwing a pizza on this lady's roof," Gilligan said. "It's been done before. You're not the first."

"And if I catch you doing it, I will hunt you down," Jonathan Banks added...
    Vince Gilligan Tells Breaking Bad Fans to Stop Throwing Pizza on Walter White's Roof

Likes EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Aw.

(I want some of that blue rock candy!!)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

I’m a latecomer to this series - just began S3. Very addictive, of course, and also depressing - the two are not mutually exclusive in storyland. Even thought about making Heisenberg my username. There’s a lot to like about this show, and I’m sure much of it has already been discussed here (I don’t want to read too much of this thread bc of spoilers). So let me just say that Gilligan’s early X-Files refs (The Erlenmeyer Flask, etc.) made me feel right at home.

S3 was the best so far. Good to see Skyler get on board, using her bookkeeping expertise to assist with the money laundering. Next season they have to work on getting Hank on board lol. First they’ll have to break it to him very gently that his medical bills and physical therapy were paid for with drug money, which is what got him shot in the first place. But hey, no worries.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nos4a2 View Post
    S3 was the best so far. Good to see Skyler get on board, using her bookkeeping expertise to assist with the money laundering. Next season they have to work on getting Hank on board lol. First they’ll have to break it to him very gently that his medical bills and physical therapy were paid for with drug money, which is what got him shot in the first place. But hey, no worries.
    Glad you liked Season 3. It's actually been one of the few series that typically got better and better the longer it ran, although probably most people think Season 4 is the best, Season 5a is still good but doesn't raise the bar as much (it's arguable, I suppose), and then 5b pushes towards a great conclusion.

I did like how Skyler became more complicit. She was doing it to try to keep the family stable and otherwise was a no-win, but still... it adds some moral complexity.

What did you think of the season 3 finale?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What did you think of the season 3 finale?
    It was pretty harrowing. Apparently Jesse either shot Gale or shot into the wall. But I wondered if he instead shot someone else who appeared at the last second in the background. I’m also guessing Walt eventually will depose Chicken Man and take over the enterprise. Not sure how many seasons that will take.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nos4a2 View Post
    It was pretty harrowing. Apparently Jesse either shot Gale or shot into the wall. But I wondered if he instead shot someone else who appeared at the last second in the background. I’m also guessing Walt eventually will depose Chicken Man and take over the enterprise. Not sure how many seasons that will take.
    Heh. Well, I can't/won't say anything. But yeah. Season 4 will be fun for you.

I really like Gale, I think he's pretty cool. I'm sitting here at work looking at a fascimile of the page from his notebook with "The Learn'd Astronomer" on it. I printed it out and hung it on my bulletin board some months back.

It's also interesting to compare Hank vs Walt. I guess you remember "One Minute" (great episode!). Hank screws up bad at times, he's a tarnished hero, but when the chips are down, he doesn't hold himself above the law. Meanwhile, Walt might be more open-minded about some things, but when the chips are down, he will do what he has to in order to survive and/or avoid culpability. It's an important contrast that only deepens over time.

Likes nos4a2 liked this post