• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Do You Think About When You See This Picture?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know this much: I don't think about despair. I think about meeting my inevitable fate head-on, with great courage.

po47.jpg

File taken from 50 Powerful Images That Have Defined The 21st Century image #47 without its caption of cowardice.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think about 9/11 and a documentary I watched about finding out the identity of the man.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
holy fuck the world has been turned upside down, and the sky has a glitch.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Regarding the social and cultural significance of the Falling Man, the theologian Mark D. Thompson of Moore Theological College said that "perhaps the most powerful image of despair at the beginning of the twenty-first century is not found in art, or literature, or even popular music. It is found in a single photograph."​

Mark D. Thompson, do you even know courage symbolized when you see it?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
did they find him?
If I remember correctly they did. And his family were thoughtful but unsure it was him. They didn't seem shocked nor surprised but I suppose after the acceptance of his death it's not entirely too amusing to know.

gromit

likes this
If I remember correctly they did. And his family were thoughtful but unsure it was him. They didn't seem shocked nor surprised but I suppose after the acceptance of his death it's not entirely too amusing to know.

Yes I don't think I would want to see a photo of my loved one plummeting to their death.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I wonder what he was thinking. I wonder what I would be thinking if I were in that situation.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know this much: I don't think about despair. I think about meeting my inevitable fate head-on, with great courage.

Thinking about it and doing it are two, slightly different things.

But that image is heart wrenching.

A more powerful one is a couple holding hands right before they go.

(There's a fake one of two people falling holding hands, photoshopped, sick fuck whoever did that).

But I remember this one was real, it was on some documentary that I can't seem to find, but I recall it was on the 10th anniversary of 9/11. I watched about 9 hours of documentaries and just about got sick. But very sad, and then vey fucking angry.

Despair perhaps, but also perhaps the alternative of being burned alive making it the obvious, easier choice. These weren't suicidal people. Who the hell on this planet knows what they were thinking/feeling RIGHT before?

Not really sure how you consider this picture "Courage." This man was an innocent civilian amongst many that were already dead when the 1000 degree plus inferno from the jet fuel had them trapped.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The various nature of still images, a wonder if their power is a testament to our lack of imagination.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
I wonder what the pic is trying to convey.

Is that pic trying to tell us that we shouldn't fear life, that we should face all obstacles in life courageously?

And also, why is the wall on the right side of the pic in lighter shades than the wall on the left side of the pic? Does darker shades represent hope and lighter shades represent loss of hope?

The man actually fall from the wall with the lighter shades, so is this pic trying to convey that the man has lost all hope in life and he is committing suicide as a way to escape from his problems?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder what the pic is trying to convey.

Is that pic trying to tell us that we shouldn't fear life, that we should face all obstacles in life courageously?

And also, why is the wall on the right side of the pic in lighter shades than the wall on the left side of the pic? Does darker shades represent hope and lighter shades represent loss of hope?

The man actually fall from the wall with the lighter shades, so is this pic trying to convey that the man has lost all hope in life and he is committing suicide as a way to escape from his problems?

This picture isn't art (well, perhaps, because art is so damned hard to define).

It's a picture of someone falling from the Twin Towers from the September 11 Attacks, forced to jump, from the incredible heat, smoke, and lack of oxygen. Some were blown out by explosions.

"face all obstacles in life courageously?" He didn't fall all the way down head first, the video shows him tumbling end over end. This is just a single screen shot.

The darker shades, lighter shades are an illusion. It's actually the corner of the building. With one side having more sun.

It seems you're unfamiliar with the image so it's interesting to see you interpret it that way, but to me, it's a picture of some fucked up repugnant shit, perpetrated by some fucked up repugnant people that I hope are getting eternally sodomized by packs of demonic hounds in the deepest nether regions of Hell.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
He looks like the hanged man from a classic tarot deck and that of course is the tower. It's really amazing that the photographer was able to grasp the exact moment this happened, every moment in life is like that, this just happened to be his last. I wonder if he fell, jumped or was pushed. A military parachuting instructor informed me that people do not die in the air they do die when they hit the ground. I think about how New Yorkers saw pink mist near the sidewalk. I think of my own personal feelings about global terrorism.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This picture isn't art (well, perhaps, because art is so damned hard to define).

It's a picture of someone falling from the Twin Towers from the September 11 Attacks, forced to jump, from the incredible heat, smoke, and lack of oxygen. Some were blown out by explosions.

"face all obstacles in life courageously?" He didn't fall all the way down head first, the video shows him tumbling end over end. This is just a single screen shot.

The darker shades, lighter shades are an illusion. It's actually the corner of the building. With one side having more sun.

It seems you're unfamiliar with the image so it's interesting to see you interpret it that way, but to me, it's a picture of some fucked up repugnant shit, perpetrated by some fucked up repugnant people that I hope are getting eternally sodomized by packs of demonic hounds in the deepest nether regions of Hell.

Its unbelievable anyone wouldn't know this was a 9/11 photo. Personally I would rather have jumped than been crushed by the building, that is what haunted me for weeks, people being crushed.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

You do realize that the thread is asking people's thoughts on the picture?

Maybe he did know it was 9/11; he just chose to focus on the symbolism of the objects, not the context of it.