• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sudoku

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Sudoku Mega is where it's at. It's a 4x4 grid with numbers and letters.

As a Sudoku purist, I get sort of upset when people have to write the little numbers in the boxes.

You're one of those people I want to stone on the Metro! Hissss!

Even though I don't play, I'm thinking to myself are people doing this in ink? Can you even see any empty spaces in your little number box?

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
Oh great Internet, share with me the hidden answers to all of the questions I might have:

creating puzzles (by hand)

grading puzzles

I thought the grading was pretty interesting with some of the terminology (hidden/naked singles, pairs, triples, quads & locked candidates). I was hoping for something more poetic on the creation other than what seemed like just brute force to me. I will keep asking the Internet for clarity.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I sometimes like sudoko, but I always end up bored half way through or I can never find a pencil and I do it in pen then it gets messy and I can't stand the sight of all the crossed out numbers (they make me feel stupid), I think if I actually owned pencils I'd like it better. But I hate pencils so...

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
3 minutes? Impressive. I usually do one on my train ride home, 20 minutes.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I rock at Sudoku- I love it!
It was a pastime of mine and some of my friends in Bio class during high school- we would steal our teacher's Sudoku puzzles and she would get pissed.

If I spend a lot of time on one puzzle- it usually means I made a crappy mistake somewhere :doh:
The one bad thing about Sudoku..

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
From Sunday to Sunday is seven days right? Well that made no sense as when you count it Sunday...Sunday it's bloomin 8!! Well I'm counting the fence posts and they're counting fence panels (the bits in between the posts). By counting the first Sunday as zero (ie not including it at all and making their question very imprecise as it should be "from the end of one Sunday to the beginning of the next) you get 7 days not 8.

Bloomin confusing :shock:

Oddly though I had no problem with Algebra and even Calculus (once they told me why it was useful).
Same here. I still have to ask my sister for numbers to friends I've had for over a decade. Context is vital to my retention.
If I have to remember a number then I play with it. The local sandwich shop is 431903. It's all 10s. 4+3+3=10 0=10 (on a die) 9+1=10

Strange but true.

Either that or for short term retention I add a beat or a tune. Those I can recall. I still remember the words to songs I first heard when I was a teen :)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Xander. My brain is smoking. lol :D

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've also become addicted to the brain training game on the DS. I got it for my kids but got sucked in. For years my math-enthusiast friend has been trying to get me into sudokus (and crosswords too) but has been met by supreme indifference. I've never had much patience for brain-teasers. Unless there's a point to it, I can't motivate myself.

That game however, with its graphs and rankings and stuff has given me a motive: competition! :D

I did my first ever sudoku last week, it was one of the basic ones and I did it in about 9 minutes. I've got it down to about 6 or 7 now and I'm getting bored of them.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I've also become addicted to the brain training game on the DS. I got it for my kids but got sucked in. For years my math-enthusiast friend has been trying to get me into sudokus (and crosswords too) but has been met by supreme indifference. I've never had much patience for brain-teasers. Unless there's a point to it, I can't motivate myself.

That game however, with its graphs and rankings and stuff has given me a motive: competition! :D

I did my first ever sudoku last week, it was one of the basic ones and I did it in about 9 minutes. I've got it down to about 6 or 7 now and I'm getting bored of them.
Must be an ENT thing. My father took up sudoku, figured out how you played it and then put it down... objective achieved apparently. :doh: