User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Sudoku

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    This form concerns numbers only (I think Poriferan called it "dyscalculia" ??). I have an incredibly strong grasp on speech, language, words, pattern, etc, but a terrible time with numbers in most any capacity. I have trouble even adding basic sums. Anything I learn with numbers, like algebra, has to be ground into me, and used constantly and intensely (like when I was in robotics). Otherwise, it'll flicker out of my memory like it had never been there. Repeatedly. Very frustrating.

I think my mind has no trouble assigning loose and various meanings to words or letters, but numbers are a different story. They must stand for something fixed, according to my brain, and no amount of trying to pry it's boundary-setting fingers off works. The worst thing you can do to me is start talking about numbers that have changeable qualities.

Interesting. So what if you replaced the numbers with letters? What would happen then?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Same here. I can do completely blank matrices using just numbers, but that's more of a pattern build, with long methods of reduction.Trying to fit a pattern while adding?? I'm sorry. Just NO.
    Count me in for the "trouble with numbers" crew. I was always good with maths but counting gave me trouble until Dom explained the whole "fence posts and fence panels" problem... cleared that up... mostly.

I've got a great reputation with giving people phone messages with phone numbers attached I'm afriad that a string of numbers means nothing to me without context and if it means nothing then it's like water through a sieve!
    Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    Isn't 3:59 still around the 3 minute mark? *puts fingers in ears while singing "row, row, row your boat"*
    According to my prior "improvement" to the counting system, yes

1.1, 1.2, 1.3.... 1.9, 1.
    2.1, 2.2, ......2.9, 2.

I forget why that made sense to me at the time. Something about keeping the parts of a number with the number they were preceeding.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    Interesting. So what if you replaced the numbers with letters? What would happen then?
    I've tried that with some success. Forming some exterior pattern of my own to untangle a number problem. Sometimes I attach a mental picture which grounds the immaterial numbers. For example, my math teacher in college once told us to create an algebraic word problem using statistics. I thought that was the end of me right there. What I decided to do was try to determine the average number of stray black and white tuxedo cats my father was bound to attract in the next 15 years based on the past and current flow of stray tuxedo cats. That helped tremendously. I saw the cats in my mind and the fixed passage of years. I needed something fixed to work from. (and the median number was 3.4 cats per year. LOL)

But things like algebra that include both numbers and letters will quite literally reduce me to tears. I couldn't do it if my life depended on it.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Count me in for the "trouble with numbers" crew. I was always good with maths but counting gave me trouble until Dom explained the whole "fence posts and fence panels" problem... cleared that up... mostly.
    Share?

I've got a great reputation with giving people phone messages with phone numbers attached I'm afriad that a string of numbers means nothing to me without context and if it means nothing then it's like water through a sieve!
    Same here. I still have to ask my sister for numbers to friends I've had for over a decade. Context is vital to my retention.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

This form concerns numbers only (I think Poriferan called it "dyscalculia" ??). I have an incredibly strong grasp on speech, language, words, pattern, etc, but a terrible time with numbers in most any capacity. I have trouble even adding basic sums. Anything I learn with numbers, like algebra, has to be ground into me, and used constantly and intensely (like when I was in robotics). Otherwise, it'll flicker out of my memory like it had never been there. Repeatedly. Very frustrating.

I think my mind has no trouble assigning loose and various meanings to words or letters, but numbers are a different story. They must stand for something fixed, according to my brain, and no amount of trying to pry it's boundary-setting fingers off works. The worst thing you can do to me is start talking about numbers that have changeable qualities.
    I'm quite opposite to you, Pink. I'm good with numbers althought I would say if we go to university level abstract mathematics then I'm not so great. But basic counting, I'm pretty good as well as accounting and budgets and all sort of "calculator" stuff. I do lot of counting in my head, without a calculator or paper.

So it should be obvious that I just love to solve sudoku problems even if I'm just a starter with all that. So, I haven't really been solving difficult sudokus, at least yet.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    I'm quite opposite to you, Pink. I'm good with numbers althought I would say if we go to university level abstract mathematics then I'm not so great. But basic counting, I'm pretty good as well as accounting and budgets and all sort of "calculator" stuff. I do lot of counting in my head, without a calculator or paper.

So it should be obvious that I just love to solve sudoku problems even if I'm just a starter with all that. So, I haven't really been solving difficult sudokus, at least yet.
    I envy you!
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

Enneagram
    1w2

No clue.

I've only ever solved a few. I tried them because I'm attempting to ramp back the dyslexia and give my mind a chance to work with numbers. I can't say what it is, but the very sight of numbers throws my cognitive processes into confusion. I know they're just symbols, like letters, but I can't stop trying to add them or subtract them, etc. My brain doesn't like them AT ALL. Even strings of numbers can be difficult.

If you really want to make yourself cry, you could attempt Kakuro. It's like Sudoku, only the matrix has to add up to something per every line.
    I too hate Sudoku and don't understand the people who walk into poles on the subway because they're too busy doing a sudoku puzzle. People are doing Samurai Sudoku and all types of crazy number related stuff. I tried it once and felt lightheaded with mild nausea.

Math is hard.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I envy you!
    Don't envy me. You have great skill with words and you use it wisely. I envy you.

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I too hate Sudoku and don't understand the people who walk into poles on the subway because they're too busy doing a sudoku puzzle.
    Lol, I might just do that!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

i love sudoku. I'm pretty sure the difficulty levels are determined by how many numbers are given when you begin, and what rows/columns they're in.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INTj

Sudoku Mega is where it's at. It's a 4x4 grid with numbers and letters.

As a Sudoku purist, I get sort of upset when people have to write the little numbers in the boxes.