• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Photography Experts?

Sling

MBTI Type
N358
I've been interested in photography for a long time, and I think I have a good eye for pictures. The only real thing that is keeping me from this is a good camera. So, I thought I'd ask somebody here. I want to spend no more than $400 on equipment, at least to start. I don't know much about photography as yet, but I do know I need a variable shutter speed, and manual focus. Wisdom is much appreciated.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've been frittering about with cameras for several years, and recently have been trying to go professional. One of the members here, Javo, is a fantastic person to ask. He directed me towards a few great books to further my education, and his photos are amazing.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I've been frittering about with cameras for several years, and recently have been trying to go professional. One of the members here, Javo, is a fantastic person to ask. He directed me towards a few great books to further my education, and his photos are amazing.

:blush: The good lady is too kind, and too humble. She takes great photos too!

Digital would be great, especially while learning due to the instant feedback on your technique. I would wait and get a new Nikon D40 and memory card when you have another $100 or so. I'd be hesitant to buy a used digital camera for only a slight savings.

Film is a hassle compared to digital. I currently shoot everything except my family snapshots using film, but plan to move all of my 35 mm shooting to digital within the next few years. I'll always shoot large format in film though. Don't hesitate to go with film if your budget cannot go beyond $400 though. You'll learn photography the old fashioned way. :D

This entire site is excellent:
KenRockwell.com

Read this page before buying your camera:
How to buy photo equipment

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Digital would be great, especially while learning due to the instant feedback on your technique. I would wait and get a new Nikon D40 and memory card when you have another $100 or so. I'd be hesitant to buy a used digital camera for only a slight savings.

Film is a hassle compared to digital. I currently shoot everything except my family snapshots using film, but plan to move all of my 35 mm shooting to digital within the next few years. I'll always shoot large format in film though. Don't hesitate to go with film if your budget cannot go beyond $400 though. You'll learn photography the old fashioned way. :D

KenRockwell.com

That dude's site is godlike. I've learned more in the past 2 weeks than I ever knew about photography, including why my choice of camera package (Nikon D80 + 18-135mm lens) might not have been the optimal purchase given my funds at the time. But in either case, his lens reviews, his "plain english" users manuals and other tips are invaluable.

Sling

MBTI Type
N358

KenRockwell.com

I asked an IRL photographer(are there screenshot photographers? :eek:?!) friend of mine about cameras. He said the same thing as you. Or a Canon 1000d. They both seem to get really good reviews.

I see way too many cool scenes in my travels not to have a proper way to capture them. Mr.Rockwell's site is very informative. I've been reading it all night, and learning tons of stuff. Thanks for your input, and I look forward to sharing some pictures!:)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Yep Canon or Nikon Digital SLRs are the way to go. Both are great. I'm Canon myself.

Get a kit that includes a reasonable kit lens, and you can always upgrade that later.

I would also recommend Steve's Digicams - Main Menu for camera reviews and sample images. It's much better than you'd expect from the name!

If interested, I have lots of photo threads here, all taken with a Canon EOS300D, and usually but not always with L glass.