• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rock Music is Finally Dead

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I generally don't like "rock", in the traditional sense anymore. Music is super fragmented and diverse these days, so a lot of the best acts don't just do straightforward rock. That being said, here are a few recommendations for very recent rock music:

Also I really like the album Lazaretto by Jack White.

I listened to these and some others. I wonder if Simmons would consider some of these rock music? He might have some very narrow views on that subject.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I listened to these and some others. I wonder if Simmons would consider some of these rock music? He might have some very narrow views on that subject.

Yeah, maybe. But if that's the case, what does he expect? Everyone to just make the same sounding rock music for 50 years?

I don't doubt that he knows more about the recording industry than I do, but I doubt he listens to much new rock music.

The closest thing to mainstream rock we have are all those bands that sound like The Black Keys (including the Black Keys).

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's like I said earlier: define rock music. Everyone has their own ideas of what rock is. Is it about having a "guitar sound"? Is it about having a "fuck you" attitude? Or is it just a generic term to separate "rock bands" from "pop acts"?

And what's so good about the "rock" label anyway? Why does it matter if "rock" (whatever it is) is dead, if great music is still being written under other labels?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's like I said earlier: define rock music. Everyone has their own ideas of what rock is. Is it about having a "guitar sound"? Is it about having a "fuck you" attitude? Or is it just a generic term to separate "rock bands" from "pop acts"?

And what's so good about the "rock" label anyway? Why does it matter if "rock" (whatever it is) is dead, if great music is still being written under other labels?

I haven't heard any great rock in this thread. And no, it's not always about the "fuck you" attitude, unless its punk rock.

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
I haven't heard any great rock in this thread. And no, it's not always about the "fuck you" attitude, unless its punk rock.

If it WAS about the "fuck you" attitude, artists like Madonna and Avril Lavigne (maybe even Miley Cyrus) would be rock music. :)

In fact they all do "guitar music" too (Avril often better than most "rock" acts). :D

So what is your definition of rock?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If it WAS about the "fuck you" attitude, artists like Madonna and Avril Lavigne (maybe even Miley Cyrus) would be rock music. :)

In fact they all do "guitar music" too (Avril often better than most "rock" acts). :D

So what is your definition of rock?

Whatever sounds like rock music.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another cheesy "rock band" COOL old people listen to.

Most if not all 'old people' who like rock prefer to keep up with the times. My ex-boss (ESTJ) did not do so, his mind is stuck back in the 1960s. His favorite group is still the Rolling Stones. But then again, all he watches on TV are sports and retro-television - 1960s TV shows. That, however, makes him a rather odd 'old person.' For example, I asked my brother, who is 8.5 years older than me, if he still likes old rock, and he stated that he doesn't like that "old junk" and that he prefers to keep up with the latest in rock music.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I should also mention that, when I first met my wife, I was the one who introduced her to the new rock music, and she loved it. That was in 2006.

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
Most if not all 'old people' who like rock prefer to keep up with the times. My ex-boss (ESTJ) did not do so, his mind is stuck back in the 1960s. His favorite group is still the Rolling Stones. But then again, all he watches on TV are sports and retro-television - 1960s TV shows. That, however, makes him a rather odd 'old person.' For example, I asked my brother, who is 8.5 years older than me, if he still likes old rock, and he stated that he doesn't like that "old junk" and that he prefers to keep up with the latest in rock music.

I like music from all eras. I don't think any era is better than the others...

Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens, Neil Young, Elton John, Kate Bush, Michael Jackson, ABBA, Radiohead, Oasis, Hole, Bjork, Coldplay, The Libertines, Muse, Joanna Newsom, Regina Spektor, Taylor Swift...

A big chronological range there, and all these artists mastered their particular styles of music (from folk to grunge). The era they were working makes no difference to the quality.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
after starting a thread with no discernible premise:
banb8_zpsd1c77bde.png

lol

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I keep up, but it sucked so bad the closest I could find was this trying to be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqHliQijgvA

^Not rock music.

- - - Updated - - -

I like music from all eras. I don't think any era is better than the others...

Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens, Neil Young, Elton John, Kate Bush, Michael Jackson, ABBA, Radiohead, Oasis, Hole, Bjork, Coldplay, The Libertines, Muse, Joanna Newsom, Regina Spektor, Taylor Swift...

A big chronological range there, and all these artists mastered their particular styles of music (from folk to grunge). The era they were working makes no difference to the quality.

Why isn't Saliva in the list?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
GOSH THESE POOR UP AND COMING ACTS

ghost bc has blown up in the last 2 years following much of the KISS formula. shut up gene idiot simmons no one gives a fuck what you think besides your own son lolol