User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Quote Originally Posted by silvery sleeves View Post
    Kiss is like the worst band ever.
    YES. Gene can't play bass for shit, either.

They've openly admitted they are basically more concerned with being famous and rich than making decent music. At least they're honest about that.

Rock music dead? Why are we treating this like new news? It's been dead since 1990, imo. Rock music now is actually post-rock.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    YES. Gene can't play bass for shit, either.

They've openly admitted they are basically more concerned with being famous and rich than making decent music. At least they're honest about that.

Rock music dead? Why are we treating this like new news? It's been dead since 1990, imo. Rock music now is actually post-rock.
    I dunno about that man... Rock is a certain style and tradition of music, it could maybe be 'post' if it were a movement. Nobody ever calls anything post-jazz or post-blues and they inhabited very similar social spaces and popularity at their peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by silvery sleeves View Post
    Kiss is like the worst band ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I dunno about that man... Rock is a certain style and tradition of music, it could maybe be 'post' if it were a movement. Nobody ever calls anything post-jazz or post-blues and they inhabited very similar social spaces and popularity at their peaks.
    I was half-joking.

Maybe part of the problem is that we try to fit every goddamn type of music and every musician into neatly labelled genre boxes in an age where so many genres and styles have cross-pollinated and split and merged and so on. "Rock" itself is evidence of this--the bastard child of blues, country, jazz, folk and etc
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I agree with Qlip.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Oh and fyi Mini Kiss is so much better than Kiss. I've seen 'em, they're better because their set isn't all Kiss songs.

MBTI
    ISTx

Rock is never dead.

Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Gene Simmons:

“Rock did not die of old age. It was murdered," says Gene Simmons of the rock group Kiss.
    Uhm, I don't know where he got that idea from, but I'm pretty sure the Rock is still alive. [/terriblepun]
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    Uhm, I don't know where he got that idea from, but I'm pretty sure the Rock is still alive. [/terriblepun]
    He got the idea from all the file-sharing.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Gene Simmons is a really smart dude, but he's got it wrong. What is dead is the cultural event that rock used to be, not rock itself. It used to be impossible for a big rock band to come to your town without everyone knowing about it. Now hugely popular bands can come and go without being a blip in the community or the culture. I think that's what Simmons is mourning. And to be fair, I can see a definition of rock that deems the size, the excess, the event-ness essential. I miss it, too.

But you know, that's just the byproduct of technology and the wider range of genres and styles available to us. I miss that going to the movies isn't an event anymore and that people are happier to have a lesser experience at home. But I know that makes me look like an old man yelling at clouds, and that's what Simmons looks like, too.

Besides, if rock is dead, somebody forgot to tell The Hold Steady.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari
    Likes Cimarron liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Gene Simmons is a really smart dude, but he's got it wrong. What is dead is the cultural event that rock used to be, not rock itself. It used to be impossible for a big rock band to come to your town without everyone knowing about it. Now hugely popular bands can come and go without being a blip in the community or the culture. I think that's what Simmons is mourning. And to be fair, I can see a definition of rock that deems the size, the excess, the event-ness essential. I miss it, too.

But you know, that's just the byproduct of technology and the wider range of genres and styles available to us. I miss that going to the movies isn't an event anymore and that people are happier to have a lesser experience at home. But I know that makes me look like an old man yelling at clouds, and that's what Simmons looks like, too.

Besides, if rock is dead, somebody forgot to tell The Hold Steady.
    And Snot. Snot (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”