• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Interesting hobbies people might not have heard of.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I have recently acquired two hobbies that I had never heard of in my life before I was introduced to them. And I was wondering if anyone out there had cool hobbies/games they do that people probably/maybe aren't so familiar with.

I'm not talking like.. things people will have readily heard of--snowboarding, fishing, etc.
Noodling would be a good example though, versus fishing.. where you try to catch fish in holes in the muddy water with your bare hands.

The two I have now: Geocache finding and hashing. Admittedly, I don't do hashing here in my hometown, but I aim to keep it up whenever I travel.

Geocaches are pretty old actually, but I'd never heard of it before! Some people even call 'normal' people walking around muggles after Harry Potter.. the idea is, there is an app (and multiple websites) that use GPS trackers on phones and devices + puzzles and clues to hide things from teeny tiny capsules to large ammo cans. They're sometimes filled with goodies or treasures (like cheap plastic bracelets, golf balls, etc.) and usually have a sign-in sheet so you can see what date/person found it before you did and how many people found it. I really like it, and it's a great way to kill some time if you're stuck in a spot, or to find something cool while you're exploring an area.

Hashing is a worldwide thing I'd literally never heard of until my boyfriend told me about it. I don't know if all the groups drink, I'm sure some don't, but the idea is that you drink beer and scavenger hunt for checkpoints where more beer is.. there are true trails and fake trails, and a couple people lay down the trails ahead of the group, and the group has to figure out which trails are the right ones as fast as possible. They sometimes have themes (the one I went to had a white dress theme because a couple was getting married) and some are just normal, but it was a lot of fun and a great way to get some running into your day.

Couchsurfing is something I'd really like to try someday too.. I almost did it in France when I thought I'd start working there for a while out of the blue. Basically you host people, or become hosted yourself, by letting them stay for free in your house on your couch or in a spare bedroom or on your floor or something. You don't pay them really, though it's okay to give a small appreciation token if you're from somewhere cool, but you host other people in thanks. It makes for good stories and cheaper travel vs expensive hotels.

Any hobbies out there people can think of?