• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Robin Williams - RIP - (July 21, 1951 - August 11, 2014)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fisher King, Dead Poet's, and Good Will Hunting for me.
Well, and Aladdin.

It was also kind of touching to see him show up in A.I.

The thing that made Williams a great (not just good) actor is that, even in comedic roles, he often brought an emotional depth and believability to characters in a way that many other comedians often tried and failed. Mrs. Doubtfire, for instance.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
He kind of reminds everybody of an uncle they have. At least, he reminds me of an uncle I have. I think that's what it is. It kind of registered more than the usual celebrity death for that reason.

Yeah. He had a gift for seeming like someone you know. Being emotionally close, familiar. Like he had a direct line to the universal heart of human experience.

johnnyyukon said:
I think what's really sad about this and Hoffman (especially this, IF it was a suicide, seems so) is that with all that money, they still couldn't get help. I mean, I'm pretty sure they had been

I think it just goes to show that you have to work hard everyday to avoid your demons if they're as bad as his, really try to pinpoint exactly what is going on. Something a doctor/therapist can't always do.

It's really humbling. That such an elevated and gifted and praised but also quirky and big-hearted and effusive person, with such a beautiful personality and life and work and also so many resources can struggle so much privately and ultimately be consumed by that struggle. And it's scary to consider that he wasn't able to figure out how to overcome it... Someone so full of life and with so much access to resources and more people who were probably trying to work on it with him. It makes me think of how genius and crazy often seem to go together. Sometimes it seems like the people who are "larger than life" are the ones who end up, whether consciously or not, whether by birth or by choice, sacrifice some of their ability to preserve themselves in exchange for the magic they possess. And Robin Williams brought so much magic to this world...

Olivia Wilde said:
Genie. You're free.

^ :cry:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I heard (yes, literally heard) a funny story about Robin Williams today. At Halloween the neighborhood kids used to visit his house, where of course he would make them laugh and then, instead of treats, he would give them toothbrushes. When the kids reacted with "what the..?" Robin would say, "That's what you get for eating candy!"

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've heard stories from people who ran into him that he was rather an unpleasant person. Do not know if they were true or not.

Anywho, very sorry for him and his family that he had this untimely death.

I don't know what he was like in person, but I think it probably varied quite a bit, like it does with 99.9% of humanity. If he could be unpleasant at times (like most people), I don't really blame him considering his struggle with a severe mood disorder, as well as the lack of privacy and personal space he probably had to deal with because of his fame.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I don't know what he was like in person, but I think it probably varied quite a bit, like it does with 99.9% of humanity. If he could be unpleasant at times (like most people), I don't really blame him considering his struggle with a severe mood disorder, as well as the lack of privacy and personal space he probably had to deal with because of his fame.
I mean, I'd agree in some cases. In some cases, I wouldn't attribute people's actions to normal variation in human behavior. For example, what about someone who committed genocide? If they were depressed and had a lack of privacy and personal space, would you find them blameless for that behavior? (Obviously, this is an extreme example, but I'm just illustrating a point.)

At a certain point, we are responsible for our actions despite whatever circumstances we may find ourselves in. (This is my belief, anyway.)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The thing is, when you know someone has issues like he did, you want to see them overcome. He ultimately didn't. It's sad.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread (and what keeps coming out as people share their stories publicly) is just what a big-hearted, sweet, kind person he was. I haven't yet heard any actual dirt. We've seen people with celebrity status die periodically over the last few years, and I don't remember seeing a response like this one.

Well, in part, Robin Williams has been open throughout his life about his demons, so in a way it doesn't seem like there are skeletons to find in any closet.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Geez, I hope it's not embarassing sexual thing like David Carodine, cuz that's like, all I think about when I think of him. Well, Kill Bill was awesome.

Who cares if it was "embarrassing?" David Carradine went out doing what he loved the most - jerking off in the company of asian hookers. It was a happy death. And not any more embarrassing that having a heart attack while taking a shit (ala Elvis). Don't weep for David Carradine. I'm sure his corpse was the only one in the morgue that had a smile on its face.

Haven't been this upset about celebrity news in a long time. Last time I can remember was Owen Wilson's suicide attempt.

If it's any consolation, I heard Owen Wilson never attempted suicide - he just OD on drugs, but his publicist decided to spin it as an attempted suicide over a break up with Kate Hudson because that would be more amicable to his career as a romantic comedy actor.

Ghoul

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
huh
His comedy was crap. He was in Good Will Hunting though.

Mole

Permabanned
Like many before him he hid his Clinical Depression behind the mask of a clown.

And by validating his mask, we are complicit in his suicide.

If we hadn't validated his mask, he may have sought professional help for his Clinical Depression.

And in exactly the same way, by validating our neurosises, we are complicit in the misery of neurosis and the damage neurosis does to others, and stand in the way of the neurotic seeking professional help.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I was so sad to hear this news. :( I think he was a great man and a great comedian. I think it's a huge loss for the whole world.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think he did well to hang in there for 63 years. I'll miss him but I don't blame him if he just couldn't go on, was tired of struggling.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As always, in a world as large as the Internet, stupidity abounds.

Those sending the Williams family negativity pushed Robin's only daughter too far. Zelda has quit Twitter and Instagram following online harassment about her father's death.

Robin Williams was found deceased in his home in Tiburon, California on Monday. The cause of death was suicide by asphyxiation, authorities stated, and a rep for the actor confirmed the tragic news, saying the Oscar-winning actor had been "battling severe depression of late."

While the 25-year-old actress's social media accounts were flooded with mostly well wishes, a few anonymous users criticized the fact she didn't post enough pictures of her father and sent graphic photoshopped images along with crude and hateful remarks....

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/c...edia-in-wake-of-father-s-death-150000165.html

It's a small percentage, yes, but in a vast world, that still adds up to lots of annoying posts that she shouldn't have to deal with.

She continues:
"I will be leaving this account for a [sic] but while I heal and decide if I'll be deleting it or not. In this difficult time, please try to be respectful of the accounts of myself, my family and my friends," she shared on Instagram alongside a photo of a butterfly. "Mining our accounts for photos of dad, or judging me on the number of them is cruel and unnecessary. There are a couple throughout, but the real private moments I shared with him were precious, quiet, and believe it or not, not full of photos or 'selfies'.

"I shared him with a world where everyone was taking their photo with him, but I was lucky enough to spend time with him without cameras too," she continued. "That was more than enough, and I'm grateful for what little time I had. My favorite photos of family are framed in my house, not posted on social media, and they'll remain there. They would've wound up on the news or blogs then, and they certainly would now. That's not what I want for our memories together. Thank you for your respect and understanding in this difficult time. Goodbye. Xo."

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I felt sad when I heard the news and so did my father.

Didn't know I liked him so much.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As always, in a world as large as the Internet, stupidity abounds.

It's a small percentage, yes, but in a vast world, that still adds up to lots of annoying posts that she shouldn't have to deal with.

She continues:
What bullshit. Again.

Remind me to never be related to a celebrity.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Robin Williams Will Live On In ‘World Of Warcraft,’ One Of His Favorite Games - Business Insider

...thousands of fans quickly responded to a petition asking game developer Activision-Blizzard to insert the late comedian into one of his favorite video games, "World of Warcraft."

The original petition asked Activision-Blizzard to "Create an NPC within World of Warcraft to memorialize the late Robin Williams, an avid World of Warcraft player, and one of the funniest men alive."

Here's what Holgate asked from the company:

Robin Williams was not only an excellent comedian but also a game enthusiast, he said that he enjoys Warcraft III very much in an interview a few years ago, and was even apart of the mmorpg World of Warcraft. It was reported that Robin used to play on the Mannoroth server, and was something of a troll in trade on good days or when anonymity allowed. Mr. Williams said in interviews that he took his World of Warcraft characters very serious - in fact he was well known for being an extreme PC builder who preferred to build his own overclocked and super-cooled systems. He often joked about his WoW addiction but also about the reactions he'd get from other gamers when he admits he plays the game. Because of his presence within our community, we the players of World of Warcraft are asking Blizzard to kindly create an NPC within the game that memorializes the actor/comedian. Many have expressed a wish to this character perform some of Williams best jokes within the Worlds End Tavern, so that he may continue making us smile long after his passing.

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I think he did well to hang in there for 63 years.... I don't blame him if he just couldn't go on, was tired of struggling.

^^ I agree with this. I find it interesting that in this culture, people can say that suicide is a selfish act, but at the same time feel perfectly okay asking/demanding that someone in pain stays around to make them feel better/to be with them. That seems just as selfish, to me. And I could easily see Robin William's pain in his stand-up, it was just .... there, so obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't mean to beat a dead horse. But here's another article examining Robin Williams's suicide from the point of view of a middle-aged Boomer suicide:

Robin Williams in a group facing higher risk of suicide: Older white men with depression - The Washington Post

As the article points out, ultimately one can only speculate as to exactly what Robin Williams was going through. But for now the media seem to be using the occasion as a "teachable moment" on the subject of male boomer suicides.

Of course, there probably aren't many male boomers among the TypoC membership (besides moi), so I'll drop the subject after this post. :)

Well, at this point, it looks like it was a little more than the "middle-aged Boomer suicide" you had wondered about -- he was facing a pretty horrific loss (basically everything he felt he specifically was as a person) and I can understand his choice in that context even if I can't be sure what I would have done in his situation. Pretty damned overwhelming for anyone. It really boils down to himself and his family at that point; I feel bad for all of them

Michael J. Fox is the most equivalent person who comes to mind right now, but I don't consider Fox's core identity to be so intrinsically tied to his ability to emote and project with his physical body and face. And like Tilty says, there is no cure (although with treatment the symptoms can be improved in some cases).

I also find it interesting that low dopamine is correlated in some way with Parkinson's. Maybe I'm really off here, I'm not a doctor; but it makes you wonder how much of his past self-medicative behaviors were related.

Most types of reward increase the level of dopamine in the brain, and a variety of addictive drugs increase dopamine neuronal activity.

EDIT: Speaking of Michael J. Fox:
https://gma.yahoo.com/michael-j-fox...iagnosis-222518124--abc-news-celebrities.html

Fox's Twitter feed:
Stunned to learn Robin had PD. Pretty sure his support for our Fdn predated his diagnosis. A true friend; I wish him peace.

It took Fox seven years to publicly announce his PD...