• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Robin Williams - RIP - (July 21, 1951 - August 11, 2014)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Robin Williams Dead. WTF.

Robin Williams is dead. These celebrity deaths usually don't affect me too much, but I grew up on his movies, and the nature of his death and relative youth make it a bit shocking. Perhaps the most surreal celeb death since MJ in '09.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I posted in my blog. And yes, I think it is definitely as big a passing as MJ.

Also very sad with the passing of Phillip Seymour Hoffman earlier this year.

Just kinda unbelievable and heartbreaking.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I was actually shocked I loved mork and mindy growing up watched most of his films. most of the time I don't care or i don't really know them. not that I knew him on a personal level but I was more familar with his work

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My wife's boyfriend in high school went to camp with his son, apparently. He was very quiet and reserved irl. I think depression is fairly common with comedians.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Can we make a deal with the reaper and trade Lou Reed and Robin Williams for Justin Beiber, Pat Robertson, and the cast of Duck Dynasty?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Phillip Seymour Hoffman hit me harder for some reason.

But what hit me harder about this was that it was an apparent suicide. He had battled severe depression and cause of death asphyxiation. Hanging? Sorry if that was too graphic. Geez, I hope it's not embarassing sexual thing like David Carodine, cuz that's like, all I think about when I think of him. Well, Kill Bill was awesome.

I think what's really sad about this and Hoffman (especially this, IF it was a suicide, seems so) is that with all that money, they still couldn't get help. I mean, I'm pretty sure they had been trying.

Hemingway and Hunter S. had some terminal, very painful issues, I think. THAT I can understand. And hell, I guess I can understand if you are suffering in total MENTAL agony year after year (did he have Bi-Polar?). But at least with that, there's medication, and islands, prolly coulda bought an island.

I think it just goes to show that you have to work hard everyday to avoid your demons if they're as bad as his, really try to pinpoint exactly what is going on. Something a doctor/therapist can't always do.

Then sometimes I think people just have no will to live. For whatever reason. I personally think it's your life, especially if you've taken care of any you've created. I dunno. Sad all around.

And actually, you could really see him channel that serious side in Good Will Hunting, a side I'd never really seen so clearly of him. Whole new level of respect. Anyway, poor guy, RIP.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Phillip Seymour Hoffman hit me harder for some reason.

But what hit me harder about this was that it was an apparent suicide. He had battled severe depression and cause of death asphyxiation. Hanging? Sorry if that was too graphic. Geez, I hope it's not embarassing sexual thing like David Carodine, cuz that's like, all I think about when I think of him. Well, Kill Bill was awesome.

I think what's really sad about this and Hoffman (especially this, IF it was a suicide, seems so) is that with all that money, they still couldn't get help. I mean, I'm pretty sure they had been trying.

Hemingway and Hunter S. had some terminal, very painful issues, I think. THAT I can understand. And hell, I guess I can understand if you are suffering in total MENTAL agony year after year (did he have Bi-Polar?). But at least with that, there's medication, and islands, prolly coulda bought an island.

I think it just goes to show that you have to work hard everyday to avoid your demons if they're as bad as his, really try to pinpoint exactly what is going on. Something a doctor/therapist can't always do.

Then sometimes I think people just have no will to live. For whatever reason. I personally think it's your life, especially if you've taken care of any you've created. I dunno. Sad all around.

And actually, you could really see him channel that serious side in Good Will Hunting, a side I'd never really seen so clearly of him. Whole new level of respect. Anyway, poor guy, RIP.

Neither Hemingway nor Thompson were terminally ill.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For Thompson:
Those present told the press that they did not believe his suicide was out of desperation, but was a premeditated act resulting from his many painful and chronic medical conditions, which included a hip replacement. What Doug Brinkley describes as a suicide note written by Thompson to his wife was later published by Rolling Stone in the September issue No. 983. Titled "Football Season Is Over", it read:

"No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun — for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your (old) age. Relax — This won't hurt."[48]
Artist-collaborator and friend Ralph Steadman wrote:

"... He told me 25 years ago that he would feel real trapped if he didn't know that he could commit suicide at any moment. I don't know if that is brave or stupid or what, but it was inevitable. I think that the truth of what rings through all his writing is that he meant what he said.

I mean, hell, Freud killed himself due to chronic pain (jaw cancer), although I think his situation was actually terminal. Chronic pain (physical or mental) has a large impact on attitude and wears down your emotional endurance and impacts your reasoning.

I think Williams is important in the culture BECAUSE he was known as a comedian first and yet later that can be juxtaposed against his dramatic career and you can see both elements strongly in the same person and how that plays out. I think the best comedians are deeply aware of the human condition and the seriousness of everything; they bring that dual awareness into what they do.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Neither Hemingway nor Thompson were terminally ill.

Poor choice of words, but I meant, they had really bad mental and physical pain that wasn't going away (maybe terminal was right).

Thompson had severe pain from a hip replacement (with some other issues) and Hemingway got very ill and started suffering from severe depression and hemochromatosis:

"During his final years, Hemingway's behavior was similar to his father's before he himself committed suicide;[151] his father may have had the genetic disease hemochromatosis, in which the inability to metabolize iron culminates in mental and physical deterioration.[152]

Medical records made available in 1991 confirm that Hemingway's hemochromatosis had been diagnosed in early 1961.[153] His sister Ursula and his brother Leicester also committed suicide.[154] Added to Hemingway's physical ailments was the additional problem that he had been a heavy drinker for most of his life."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Robin Williams died of an apparent suicide.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's such a coincidence that everyone was just discussing his type a few days ago...

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
If you haven't seen "The World According to Garp", put it on your list of films to go see. It's a real gem.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As Riso prophetically stated at the end of the type 7 description, "...with suicide the ultimate result."

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Poor choice of words, but I meant, they had really bad mental and physical pain that wasn't going away (maybe terminal was right).

Thompson had severe pain from a hip replacement (with some other issues) and Hemingway got very ill and started suffering from severe depression and hemochromatosis:

"During his final years, Hemingway's behavior was similar to his father's before he himself committed suicide;[151] his father may have had the genetic disease hemochromatosis, in which the inability to metabolize iron culminates in mental and physical deterioration.[152]

Medical records made available in 1991 confirm that Hemingway's hemochromatosis had been diagnosed in early 1961.[153] His sister Ursula and his brother Leicester also committed suicide.[154] Added to Hemingway's physical ailments was the additional problem that he had been a heavy drinker for most of his life."

Well, yes, that I knew. I'm reading a rather large Hemingway bio right now. Maybe someday I'll get done with it...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Depression is a common thing with cardiac issues, I have to think this contributed greatly. Very sad.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I've heard stories from people who ran into him that he was rather an unpleasant person. Do not know if they were true or not.

Anywho, very sorry for him and his family that he had this untimely death.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Robin Williams is dead. These celebrity deaths usually don't affect me too much, but I grew up on his movies, and the nature of his death and relative youth make it a bit shocking. Perhaps the most surreal celeb death since MJ in '09.

I know, right? :( I didn't even believe my parents at first when they found out and told me about it. He was definitely one of my favorite Hollywood actors of all time.