User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    huh

His comedy was crap. He was in Good Will Hunting though.

Like many before him he hid his Clinical Depression behind the mask of a clown.

And by validating his mask, we are complicit in his suicide.

If we hadn't validated his mask, he may have sought professional help for his Clinical Depression.

And in exactly the same way, by validating our neurosises, we are complicit in the misery of neurosis and the damage neurosis does to others, and stand in the way of the neurotic seeking professional help.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by YUI View Post
    Article on middle-age suicide (increase in suicide rates among Baby Boomers):

Robin Williams's Age Group at Heightened Suicide Risk - WSJ

The article linked above only uses Williams's suicide as a jump-off point for a larger examination of middle-age suicide. But the article kind of touches on some points that I made in an earlier post, i.e., that older celebrity suicides may be at least partly about aging and accepting (or not accepting) the limitations that come with advanced age. FWIW.
    I don't mean to beat a dead horse. But here's another article examining Robin Williams's suicide from the point of view of a middle-aged Boomer suicide:

Robin Williams in a group facing higher risk of suicide: Older white men with depression - The Washington Post

Here are some excerpts:

If you tried to create a profile of someone at high risk of committing suicide, one likely example would look like this: A middle-aged or older white male toward the end of a successful career, who suffers from a serious medical problem as well as chronic depression and substance abuse, who recently completed treatment for either or both those psychological conditions and who is going through a difficult period, personally or professionally.

In short, that person would look a lot like Robin Williams, the 63-year-old actor and comedian who, authorities said Tuesday, hanged himself with a belt in the bedroom of his San Francisco Bay-area home a day earlier.
    Also:

At the same time, aging may take a larger toll on the male psyche. Older men who value their self-reliance may find themselves less able to cope as they age, when they are no longer in their prime physically, sexually and at work.

“I often refer to them as being developmentally unsuccessful, because they’re not equipped to handle the challenges of getting older if they are so tied into their masculinity . . . and making a lot of money,” said Christopher Kilmartin, a psychology professor at the University of Mary Washington.

“Things aren’t the way they used to be,” Ongur said. “The power you knew, the control you knew, aren’t the same.”
    And:

But the wind-down of a successful career and the loss of self-esteem that may entail is a common problem for older men, especially if they are also having financial problems.

As men look back on their lives, they may become more reflective, asking themselves whether they focused on what really mattered to them, and what they are going to do next, Kaslow said.

“Has the career been worth it, or did I sacrifice my family . . . I think that is part of what happens for people,” she said.

An emerging area of interest for many mental health experts is the impact of feelings that the person who attempts suicide has begun to feel he is a burden to his family and friends, who, he believes, would be better off without him.

Recent studies have shown a solid association between those sentiments and suicide, Cornette said, stronger even than the power of depression. While depression and suicide has been more thoroughly studied, many are paying attention to the newest risk factor, she said.
    As the article points out, ultimately one can only speculate as to exactly what Robin Williams was going through. But for now the media seem to be using the occasion as a "teachable moment" on the subject of male boomer suicides.

Of course, there probably aren't many male boomers among the TypoC membership (besides moi), so I'll drop the subject after this post.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I was so sad to hear this news. I think he was a great man and a great comedian. I think it's a huge loss for the whole world.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I think he did well to hang in there for 63 years. I'll miss him but I don't blame him if he just couldn't go on, was tired of struggling.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

As always, in a world as large as the Internet, stupidity abounds.

Those sending the Williams family negativity pushed Robin's only daughter too far. Zelda has quit Twitter and Instagram following online harassment about her father's death.

Robin Williams was found deceased in his home in Tiburon, California on Monday. The cause of death was suicide by asphyxiation, authorities stated, and a rep for the actor confirmed the tragic news, saying the Oscar-winning actor had been "battling severe depression of late."

While the 25-year-old actress's social media accounts were flooded with mostly well wishes, a few anonymous users criticized the fact she didn't post enough pictures of her father and sent graphic photoshopped images along with crude and hateful remarks....

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/ce...150000165.html
    It's a small percentage, yes, but in a vast world, that still adds up to lots of annoying posts that she shouldn't have to deal with.

She continues:
    "I will be leaving this account for a [sic] but while I heal and decide if I'll be deleting it or not. In this difficult time, please try to be respectful of the accounts of myself, my family and my friends," she shared on Instagram alongside a photo of a butterfly. "Mining our accounts for photos of dad, or judging me on the number of them is cruel and unnecessary. There are a couple throughout, but the real private moments I shared with him were precious, quiet, and believe it or not, not full of photos or 'selfies'.

"I shared him with a world where everyone was taking their photo with him, but I was lucky enough to spend time with him without cameras too," she continued. "That was more than enough, and I'm grateful for what little time I had. My favorite photos of family are framed in my house, not posted on social media, and they'll remain there. They would've wound up on the news or blogs then, and they certainly would now. That's not what I want for our memories together. Thank you for your respect and understanding in this difficult time. Goodbye. Xo."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    However, what you're saying about control and power doesn't really seem to jibe with the Williams that people seem to be describing.
    "He couldn't say no to anyone, Robin was a giver" says much.

I felt sad when I heard the news and so did my father.

Didn't know I liked him so much.

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    As always, in a world as large as the Internet, stupidity abounds.

It's a small percentage, yes, but in a vast world, that still adds up to lots of annoying posts that she shouldn't have to deal with.

She continues:
    What bullshit. Again.

Remind me to never be related to a celebrity.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Robin Williams Will Live On In ‘World Of Warcraft,’ One Of His Favorite Games - Business Insider

...thousands of fans quickly responded to a petition asking game developer Activision-Blizzard to insert the late comedian into one of his favorite video games, "World of Warcraft."

The original petition asked Activision-Blizzard to "Create an NPC within World of Warcraft to memorialize the late Robin Williams, an avid World of Warcraft player, and one of the funniest men alive."

Here's what Holgate asked from the company:

Robin Williams was not only an excellent comedian but also a game enthusiast, he said that he enjoys Warcraft III very much in an interview a few years ago, and was even apart of the mmorpg World of Warcraft. It was reported that Robin used to play on the Mannoroth server, and was something of a troll in trade on good days or when anonymity allowed. Mr. Williams said in interviews that he took his World of Warcraft characters very serious - in fact he was well known for being an extreme PC builder who preferred to build his own overclocked and super-cooled systems. He often joked about his WoW addiction but also about the reactions he'd get from other gamers when he admits he plays the game. Because of his presence within our community, we the players of World of Warcraft are asking Blizzard to kindly create an NPC within the game that memorializes the actor/comedian. Many have expressed a wish to this character perform some of Williams best jokes within the Worlds End Tavern, so that he may continue making us smile long after his passing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft