User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Like I mentioned earlier in the thread (and what keeps coming out as people share their stories publicly) is just what a big-hearted, sweet, kind person he was. I haven't yet heard any actual dirt. We've seen people with celebrity status die periodically over the last few years, and I don't remember seeing a response like this one.
    I don't think people will find any except the typical suspects of someone suffering from depression--drug abuse and rehab, etc.

It is more shocking to me, this one, than MJ. When I found out MJ died, my friend messaged me and I thought "haha funny don't be silly." Then it was true and we saw it on the news, and my brother's first words were "$5 they play the free willy song at the memorial." I mean, it was sad or whatever but I wasn't attached to him really. I grew up listening to MJ but he wasn't my favorite singer/song writer/dancer or anything like that. He was just cool. Robin Williams? Grew up watching him, found a whole new side of him as an adult, and a whole other side of him again as a soldier. He was more real to me than the pop idol.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I think what's interesting is that, aside from the obvious "talented/funny" Twitter tributes, there are so many that refer to him as kind, gentle, and/or sweet. That's not necessarily a [group of] word(s) that gets used with comedians.
    He kind of reminds everybody of an uncle they have. At least, he reminds me of an uncle I have. I think that's what it is. It kind of registered more than the usual celebrity death for that reason.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Fisher King, Dead Poet's, and Good Will Hunting for me.
    Well, and Aladdin.

It was also kind of touching to see him show up in A.I.
    The thing that made Williams a great (not just good) actor is that, even in comedic roles, he often brought an emotional depth and believability to characters in a way that many other comedians often tried and failed. Mrs. Doubtfire, for instance.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

MBTI
    INFP

Article on middle-age suicide (increase in suicide rates among Baby Boomers):

Robin Williams's Age Group at Heightened Suicide Risk - WSJ

The article linked above only uses Williams's suicide as a jump-off point for a larger examination of middle-age suicide. But the article kind of touches on some points that I made in an earlier post, i.e., that older celebrity suicides may be at least partly about aging and accepting (or not accepting) the limitations that come with advanced age. FWIW.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    He kind of reminds everybody of an uncle they have. At least, he reminds me of an uncle I have. I think that's what it is. It kind of registered more than the usual celebrity death for that reason.
    Yeah. He had a gift for seeming like someone you know. Being emotionally close, familiar. Like he had a direct line to the universal heart of human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon
    I think what's really sad about this and Hoffman (especially this, IF it was a suicide, seems so) is that with all that money, they still couldn't get help. I mean, I'm pretty sure they had been
    I think it just goes to show that you have to work hard everyday to avoid your demons if they're as bad as his, really try to pinpoint exactly what is going on. Something a doctor/therapist can't always do.
    It's really humbling. That such an elevated and gifted and praised but also quirky and big-hearted and effusive person, with such a beautiful personality and life and work and also so many resources can struggle so much privately and ultimately be consumed by that struggle. And it's scary to consider that he wasn't able to figure out how to overcome it... Someone so full of life and with so much access to resources and more people who were probably trying to work on it with him. It makes me think of how genius and crazy often seem to go together. Sometimes it seems like the people who are "larger than life" are the ones who end up, whether consciously or not, whether by birth or by choice, sacrifice some of their ability to preserve themselves in exchange for the magic they possess. And Robin Williams brought so much magic to this world...

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia Wilde, tweet
    Genie. You're free.
    ^

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I heard (yes, literally heard) a funny story about Robin Williams today. At Halloween the neighborhood kids used to visit his house, where of course he would make them laugh and then, instead of treats, he would give them toothbrushes. When the kids reacted with "what the..?" Robin would say, "That's what you get for eating candy!"
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    I've heard stories from people who ran into him that he was rather an unpleasant person. Do not know if they were true or not.

Anywho, very sorry for him and his family that he had this untimely death.
    I don't know what he was like in person, but I think it probably varied quite a bit, like it does with 99.9% of humanity. If he could be unpleasant at times (like most people), I don't really blame him considering his struggle with a severe mood disorder, as well as the lack of privacy and personal space he probably had to deal with because of his fame.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    I don't know what he was like in person, but I think it probably varied quite a bit, like it does with 99.9% of humanity. If he could be unpleasant at times (like most people), I don't really blame him considering his struggle with a severe mood disorder, as well as the lack of privacy and personal space he probably had to deal with because of his fame.
    I mean, I'd agree in some cases. In some cases, I wouldn't attribute people's actions to normal variation in human behavior. For example, what about someone who committed genocide? If they were depressed and had a lack of privacy and personal space, would you find them blameless for that behavior? (Obviously, this is an extreme example, but I'm just illustrating a point.)

At a certain point, we are responsible for our actions despite whatever circumstances we may find ourselves in. (This is my belief, anyway.)

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The thing is, when you know someone has issues like he did, you want to see them overcome. He ultimately didn't. It's sad.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread (and what keeps coming out as people share their stories publicly) is just what a big-hearted, sweet, kind person he was. I haven't yet heard any actual dirt. We've seen people with celebrity status die periodically over the last few years, and I don't remember seeing a response like this one.

Well, in part, Robin Williams has been open throughout his life about his demons, so in a way it doesn't seem like there are skeletons to find in any closet.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Geez, I hope it's not embarassing sexual thing like David Carodine, cuz that's like, all I think about when I think of him. Well, Kill Bill was awesome.
    Who cares if it was "embarrassing?" David Carradine went out doing what he loved the most - jerking off in the company of asian hookers. It was a happy death. And not any more embarrassing that having a heart attack while taking a shit (ala Elvis). Don't weep for David Carradine. I'm sure his corpse was the only one in the morgue that had a smile on its face.

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Haven't been this upset about celebrity news in a long time. Last time I can remember was Owen Wilson's suicide attempt.
    If it's any consolation, I heard Owen Wilson never attempted suicide - he just OD on drugs, but his publicist decided to spin it as an attempted suicide over a break up with Kate Hudson because that would be more amicable to his career as a romantic comedy actor.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.