User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

He did apparently play Eisenhower in "The Butler," but I had been wondering if the failure of "The Crazy Ones" and having "Night in the Museum" be his current claim to fame had had any impact on his self-perception.

However, what you're saying about control and power doesn't really seem to jibe with the Williams that people seem to be describing. He seemed more down to earth and genuinely kind than finding value in his dominance. I can't speak about whether he felt his creativity was on a decline, although his branching into drama from comedy would have been one way to inure himself against that. It's not like he wasn't successful in multiple venues, and comedy was just the "high octane" one. He had more to live for than just that, so it sounds like there are other factors involved.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    He did apparently play Eisenhower in "The Butler," but I had been wondering if the failure of "The Crazy Ones" and having "Night in the Museum" be his current claim to fame had had any impact on his self-perception.

However, what you're saying about control and power doesn't really seem to jibe with the Williams that people seem to be describing. He seemed more down to earth and genuinely kind than finding value in his dominance. I can't speak about whether he felt his creativity was on a decline, although his branching into drama from comedy would have been one way to inure himself against that. It's not like he wasn't successful in multiple venues, and comedy was just the "high octane" one. He had more to live for than just that, so it sounds like there are other factors involved.
    His career had been kind of moribund for a while. Recently it sounds like he was trying to jump-start it again. But it wasn't going well. He had a television series canceled after one season. Other projects involved co-starring with younger actors, trying to ride their coat-tails. There's just no way he was in demand nowadays to the same extent as when he was younger.

So his latest flurry of work activity could have been part of the process of trying to stay relevent, rebel against old age, and reclaim past glory. And if that process wasn't going well...

Not trying to put the guy down. Just pointing out that some of this stuff follows a pattern.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think what's interesting is that, aside from the obvious "talented/funny" Twitter tributes, there are so many that refer to him as kind, gentle, and/or sweet. That's not necessarily a [group of] word(s) that gets used with comedians.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

I liked mrs. Doubtfire and patch adams a lot.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Honestly, I wish we had a culture where if you were tired of living, you could check out, and it wouldn't shock anyone. I know some states now have legal assisted suicide in the case of incurable disease, but psychological pain is, for some, incurable disease, and wishing to be relieved of it seems only natural. I hate that he felt that way, but I'm fine with what he did. It seems his choice to make. In a world with a different attitude toward death, maybe he could have told his wife and a few friends, they could have had a ceremony or something ... instead it's this horrible shock that's sent everyone reeling.

RIP Robin Williams

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Honestly, I wish we had a culture where if you were tired of living, you could check out, and it wouldn't shock anyone. I know some states now have legal assisted suicide in the case of incurable disease, but psychological pain is, for some, incurable disease, and wishing to be relieved of it seems only natural. I hate that he felt that way, but I'm fine with what he did. It seems his choice to make. In a world with a different attitude toward death, maybe he could have told his wife and a few friends, they could have had a ceremony or something ... instead it's this horrible shock that's sent everyone reeling.

RIP Robin Williams
    I don't think being suicidal and assisted suicide are the same thing at all though.. I'm for assisted suicide.. but the man had a wife, and children. He had a lot to give to them still. Being suicidal is an illness.. psychological illnesses count.. and that's why people try to intervene and it's so shocking. We treat it the same way we do cancer--hoping to cure it, trying to catch it early before it grabs people away from us. There are people I have met that had attempted suicide in the past.. and actually did end up being cured of that state of mind (so far as I can tell for now.. they're still living anyways). It isn't like anyone's shaming him for suicide, he tried for a long time and it's clear that he did.. but it's still heart breaking and sad for great people to leave the world due to an illness that we still believe we can cure someday. More and more suicidal behaviors are having physiological foundations.. Meaning, if we understood this all better, maybe he wouldn't have really wanted to die--but the illness made him think he did. It happens with other mental illnesses all the time.

I'd like to think that the man was very happy at his core. I don't know many people that have so much joy that they just want to spread it to the world like that. Depression is just a beast of a disorder, and it swallows people whole no matter how great they are indiscriminately.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    yupp

I think this hit me harder than I thought for the main reason is I've dealt with wanting to die and severe depression. Because I've been their, luckily I didn't know die but there are times I wonder if I should've. drug overdoses don't hit me cuz I have no experience with those.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

"Mourning" as an activity means different things to different people, so the "no one can mourn a stranger" proclamations are immaterial. It's incredibly human to be emotionally affected by the death of someone that you may have admired or related to for one reason or another. Excessive mourning, by my standards, would be strange, but I don't see that happening here. Robin Williams had that rare ability to galvanize perceptions by toeing the sacred/profane with humor and underscoring the universal human experience. I wonder whether the number of people that felt inspired and awed by him is comforting to the loves ones he left behind or disturbing...?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I don't think being suicidal and assisted suicide are the same thing at all though.. I'm for assisted suicide.. but the man had a wife, and children. He had a lot to give to them still. Being suicidal is an illness.. psychological illnesses count.. and that's why people try to intervene and it's so shocking. We treat it the same way we do cancer--hoping to cure it, trying to catch it early before it grabs people away from us. There are people I have met that had attempted suicide in the past.. and actually did end up being cured of that state of mind (so far as I can tell for now.. they're still living anyways). It isn't like anyone's shaming him for suicide, he tried for a long time and it's clear that he did.. but it's still heart breaking and sad for great people to leave the world due to an illness that we still believe we can cure someday. More and more suicidal behaviors are having physiological foundations.. Meaning, if we understood this all better, maybe he wouldn't have really wanted to die--but the illness made him think he did. It happens with other mental illnesses all the time.

I'd like to think that the man was very happy at his core. I don't know many people that have so much joy that they just want to spread it to the world like that. Depression is just a beast of a disorder, and it swallows people whole no matter how great they are indiscriminately.
    This is something I'm intimately familiar with. Severe depression, major depression, is hard to cure -- you have to really stay on top of it. Some are saying he was bipolar, which makes it all the harder. It's a lot to carry just to make other people happy. As Robin Williams himself decided. Someone on Fox News called him a coward, and lots of others are all "why on earth would someone want to die." Lots of people want to die, y'know? Even with the best of treatment.

Then there's this article, saying the tweet represents suicide as liberating and that could cause people to think it's ok to do.
    Suicide contagion and social media: The dangers of sharing ‘Genie, you

Well ... it's for each person to decide. I just wish he hadn't had to hang himself with a belt.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I don't think being suicidal and assisted suicide are the same thing at all though.. (etc)
    Yes, I'm open to assisted 'end of life' choices as well; but along with what you've said, this particular situation isn't really clear as to whether it was "I want to die" or "I want to live but I'm so tired that I just can't do it anymore." I guess we will figure out more as the investigation unfolds.

@Tiltyred: I was pretty upset at the Fox commentator who used the word "cowardly." The guy has since issued a public apology and said he didn't mean to call Williams a coward, but I'm not sure how he didn't mean it, in context of his quote.

I had concerns, as someone who has pretty regular (and occasional intense) thoughts along these lines, when I saw that Genie graphic that to me kind of glamorizes death. *shrug* I'm sure it was meant to say they were glad Williams wasn't suffering anymore, but it's pretty triggering IMO... or at least was for me.

Is there a reason the use of a belt bothers you, versus something else?