User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    nature of his death and relative youth make it a bit shocking
    Relative youth? When did 63 years of age (2 years shy from being a senior citizen) become categorized as being relatively young?

It's only natural to love the person who we thought we [intimately] knew through their performances and reading about their celebrity life through tabloids. In truth, we don't know, we can't relate, and we won't ever.

I can't see myself mourning any celebrity; even if I spent half my life being influenced by them.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Haven't been this upset about celebrity news in a long time. Last time I can remember was Owen Wilson's suicide attempt.

He had apparently had a lifetime of anxiety and depression issues -- his drug and alcohol dependencies were attempts to self-medicate. I guess he couldn't fight back those demons anymore.

Just awful.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

O Captain! My Captain! our fearful trip is done;
    The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won;
    The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
    While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:

But O heart! heart! heart!
    O the bleeding drops of red,
    Where on the deck my Captain lies,
    Fallen cold and dead.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    Robin Williams is dead. These celebrity deaths usually don't affect me too much, but I grew up on his movies, and the nature of his death and relative youth make it a bit shocking. Perhaps the most surreal celeb death since MJ in '09.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I mean, hell, Freud killed himself due to chronic pain (jaw cancer), although I think his situation was actually terminal. Chronic pain (physical or mental) has a large impact on attitude and wears down your emotional endurance and impacts your reasoning.

I think Williams is important in the culture BECAUSE he was known as a comedian first and yet later that can be juxtaposed against his dramatic career and you can see both elements strongly in the same person and how that plays out. I think the best comedians are deeply aware of the human condition and the seriousness of everything; they bring that dual awareness into what they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
    I know, right? I didn't even believe my parents at first when they found out and told me about it. He was definitely one of my favorite Hollywood actors of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Haven't been this upset about celebrity news in a long time. Last time I can remember was Owen Wilson's suicide attempt.

He had apparently had a lifetime of anxiety and depression issues -- his drug and alcohol dependencies were attempts to self-medicate. I guess he couldn't fight back those demons anymore.

Just awful.
    These things don't usually bother me too much but this one really sort of makes me feel sick. He was such a gifted actor. Movies like Dead Poet's Society, Mrs. Doubtfire, Goodwill Hunting - the guy was awesome, not to mention very funny.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Permabanned

Is it...umm..callous of me that it's not that big a deal to me? People die...it's what we do. Death isn't a sad thing. Especially not for someone who actually impacted the world in the way he was supposed to. He came, he lived, he did what he was supposed to, and now he's dead. It was a complete life, the heights of which many don't achieve. There's nothing sad about this....it's more sad when someone dies not having fully lived his life. Robin Williams...lived his life fully. I'm actually happy for him. If he thought it was his time to pass on, then why should I be sad? He knew his situation better than anyone. All I could have done was thanked him for making me laugh, sharing his talents with the world, and wished him well as he confronted the big unknown.

Same thing with Nelson Mandela when he passed on. Everyone was so sad...and I'm like "The guy was like, ancient. He's supposed to die. Why be sad about it?"

This whole "death is shocking" thing....I don't quite get. Do you know I've been crying over my mother's death since I was 13? And she's still alive....

Anyway, he's a good example for us younger folk, I think. We could use more Robin Williamses.

Permabanned

I will say though...Patch Adams is one of two movies that has moved me to tears. (The other being Rugrats, The movie..)

I remember bringing the DVD home expecting to laugh because, you know, Robin Williams, and half way through...in tears...thinking "wow, I just got tricked so hard".

I respected his talents a lot more after that.

Over all, from my perspective...It was an A+ life. Good effort.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

This is going to fuck me up for days, maybe weeks. This type of shit doesn't usually get to me.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Eluded_One View Post
    Relative youth? When did 63 years of age (2 years shy from being a senior citizen) become categorized as being relatively young?

It's only natural to love the person who we thought we [intimately] knew through their performances and reading about their celebrity life through tabloids. In truth, we don't know, we can't relate, and we won't ever.

I can't see myself mourning any celebrity; even if I spent half my life being influenced by them.
    63 is not that old by modern standards. Had he died at 85 of natural causes, I wouldn't be shocked.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    These things don't usually bother me too much but this one really sort of makes me feel sick. He was such a gifted actor. Movies like Dead Poet's Society, Mrs. Doubtfire, Goodwill Hunting - the guy was awesome, not to mention very funny.
    Same here. My personal favorites are The Fisher King, Dead Poet's, and Awakenings.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

So weird that he's dead.