• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mad Max: Fury Road

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally, a movie worth sitting still for!

Chthonic

No Mel Gibson = :(

Maybe the new guy will be better, but I liked Mel Gibson as Max. :(

He's a bit old and well batshit crazy. Max should be mad, not a ranting lunatic. At the risk of pouring cold water here I get the impression from that trailer that this installment has basically no plot and consists of approximately 2hrs of car chases and cool costumes. Nothing beats the original, but the original was awesome mainly because it was the early 80's and the idea of a post apocolyptic world fighting over oil was pretty unthinkable and therefore a more interesting concept.

Little_Sticks

Yeah, but dude, he's an actor. Even if he is a little loony as a person, he was pretty good as Max. He had that sort of calm ISTP fire. I just don't want to see what made Mad Max in the first movie disappear.

But yeah, the trailer showed no plot. :(

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, but dude, he's an actor. Even if he is a little loony as a person, he was pretty good as Max. He had that sort of calm ISTP fire. I just don't want to see what made Mad Max in the first movie disappear.

But yeah, the trailer showed no plot. :(

There is no plot. It's just a trek across the desert with a lot of car wrecks and things blowing up.

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I think it looks very good and i am excited for it.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Saw it Sunday afternoon with the hubby ... was ferocious non-stop action, fantastic 3-D effects. A sprinkle of reclaimed humanity and a dash of redemption.

I always feel massively overstimulated by movies like these, but was glad I saw it in the theatre. I had the most visceral experience I've ever had in a 3-D movie, thought I was literally about to fall off a cliff. Kind of mind-blowing how it was like I was right in the scene! Worth seeing :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
we watched it in the theater and didn't find it to be worth what we spent... neither of us were particularly impressed

the man was downright offended by it, deciding that it had pissed all over something he'd loved as a child and that there was no plot to it whatsoever and no character development and that the bad guys were too hammy to take seriously

I just thought it was a bit boring, since I didn't care about anyone in the movie and all that happened was driving and fighting and I really hate post apocalyptic movies and the wastelands that they are set in... not enough green :thumbdown:

also, not enough use of the 3d effects to have to deal with wearing those annoying glasses for the duration :thelook:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
we watched it in the theater and didn't find it to be worth what we spent... neither of us were particularly impressed

the man was downright offended by it, deciding that it had pissed all over something he'd loved as a child and that there was no plot to it whatsoever and no character development and that the bad guys were too hammy to take seriously

I just thought it was a bit boring, since I didn't care about anyone in the movie and all that happened was driving and fighting and I really hate post apocalyptic movies and the wastelands that they are set in... not enough green :thumbdown:

also, not enough use of the 3d effects to have to deal with wearing those annoying glasses for the duration :thelook:

Interesting you found it boring, that kind of movie with so much action is hard for me to process, never mind find boring lol. As far as pissing on the franchise, well, when you take all three movies into account, it's a harder thing to say ... but yea, looking only at the first, nowhere near that.

I thought the 3-D was wonderful though, it was everywhere all the time, everything was layered on layer and even the most subtle things had touchable, tangible perspective. lol it seems like we saw two different movies!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting you found it boring, that kind of movie with so much action is hard for me to process, never mind find boring lol. As far as pissing on the franchise, well, when you take all three movies into account, it's a harder thing to say ... but yea, looking only at the first, nowhere near that.

I thought the 3-D was wonderful though, it was everywhere all the time, everything was layered on layer and even the most subtle things had touchable, tangible perspective. lol it seems like we saw two different movies!

:laugh: yeah, all action with nothing else is like eating steak every day for a year. sure, a steak is a delicious thing, but all steak all of the time would start to become bland and you wouldn't remember how much you'd enjoyed it eventually...

I only noticed the 3D really during the last accident, when everything flew towards the viewer, otherwise it didn't strike me as truly impressive...

we must have watched different movies... I took to eating jalapenos from the snack area to stay awake! :laugh:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
:laugh: yeah, all action with nothing else is like eating steak every day for a year. sure, a steak is a delicious thing, but all steak all of the time would start to become bland and you wouldn't remember how much you'd enjoyed it eventually...

I only noticed the 3D really during the last accident, when everything flew towards the viewer, otherwise it didn't strike me as truly impressive...

we must have watched different movies... I took to eating jalapenos from the snack area to stay awake! :laugh:

Gotcha on the steak ... I was only expecting steak I guess, so wasn't disappointed that was all there was on the menu!

I know the scene you mean, yes there wasn't a constant of flying debris, I guess I liked how each scene seemed to incorporate the 3-D, from subtle to in-your-face, almost everywhere.

Enjoyed hearing your thoughts, I wonder if some theatres are better for 3-D than others? It would stand to reason the answer is yes. And that there's an optimum viewing distance for it too ... (I'll google it later to satisfy my curiosity lol)!!!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw it Sunday afternoon with the hubby ... was ferocious non-stop action, fantastic 3-D effects. A sprinkle of reclaimed humanity and a dash of redemption.

I always feel massively overstimulated by movies like these, but was glad I saw it in the theatre. I had the most visceral experience I've ever had in a 3-D movie, thought I was literally about to fall off a cliff. Kind of mind-blowing how it was like I was right in the scene! Worth seeing :)

I had a lot of fun watching it and was glad I saw it in real 3d.
Everything was so over the top. The guitarist really made me laugh.

Acting was solid, story made sense, the stunts were pretty spectacular (and hugely real versus all CGI), great art/prop design. Usually when I laugh at a non-comedy, it's with derision; I laughed more than a few times here simply because it was so cool to watch and I couldn't believe they managed to go even crazier.

I liked how Max didn't just become their "bud" when they met, it was a gradual process (including his opening up a bit). It seemed more authentic than your typical "everyone forced to join up" movies.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Finally, a summer movie that delivers a satisfying story and nails the ending. Almost reminds me of the heyday of summer movies in the 1980s. Only turned up to 11.

The complaints people have about "no story" are puzzling to me. In an action movie, I'd rather have a simple story that's told coherently and well than a more complicated one that's riddled with plot holes, dead ends, and red herrings (see any Marvel movie or Transformers movie). George Miller has just schooled everyone making action movies.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
hvaen't seen it...waiting for my bro to come into town...but it should be noted that the first two mad max movies story wise and acting wise were probably the two best movies ever made - aliens would keep it in a vault of humanities greatest accomplishments.

that being said...i'm okay with this one having less story and more action because the actors can pull it off...and it seems like it does have a rad story anyways.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Watched it loved it loved the female character too.

I think max in this version is a clear ISXP. I wouldnt even be surprised if he was an isfp.

There is absolutel nothing that i saw in his which indicated he was a Ti user (T over F).

I liked the fact that tom hardy is short (comparatively) and they didnt try to make him look taller than the female character. All that bulk in that short stature had an unstoppable look to him.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really enjoyed it (I still have never seen the original though -- not sure how that would or would not have impacted my experience watching this one).

I thought the visuals / sound / cinematography was excellent. Thought the rawness of the world was captured really really well. (I did however have my hands over my ears for half the movie, literally, because it was way too loud for me in the theater - haha)

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I haven't watched Fury Road yet, but I am very encouraged to do so now, haha.

As to the original trilogy, as previously stated, Mad Max was an original take on the vigilante revenge picture, with a very prescient few of the modern court system and law enforcement. The young Mel Gibson plays the role to perfection.

Road Warrior is near perfect action flick, with minimal unnecessary dialogue. I haven't seen Fury Road in part because I was afraid it works ruin a great thing.

Thunderdome has it solid qualities, but it feels too big budget and studio. I might need to rewatch it to see if I would be disappointed again, as it feels less than it could have been.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that's what makes Road Warrior work so well. Too many filmmakers feel a need to tell the audience everything. The brief flashback gives us enough information about Max, and the rest of the film is self-explanatory. Some filmmakers would have tried to explain who the good tribe was and why they were guarding a refinery; why the bad tribe are marauders... It's more fun to deduce and speculate without already knowing everything.

Miller gives us what we need to know, then throws us headfirst into the film with minimal backstory, so we experience it more from Max's perspective (who is an outsider to begin with). Backstory is good sometimes, but it would've detracted from The Road Warrior and ruined the film's pacing. A lesson could be learned by younger filmmakers who too often need to make every action film an "origins story."

I am so worn out by origins stories. You hit the nail on the head with this. I much prefer having Max just be Max in Road Warrior. You didn't to watch Mad Max to get the character and what motivated him.

I see a similar vibe in the Clint Eastwood westerns. The Man with No Name just is, a force of nature who needs no explanation. I remember a negative review of Pale Rider when it came out, saying Clint uses less than 400 words the entire movie. He didn't need more.

Origin stories are easier for many filmmakers to do, but too many feel empty.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't like it. I don't like the new Mad Max, he is ugly and spent most of the movie tied to the front of a vehicle.