• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies & Shows everyone seems to love so much and you can't understand why!

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll start. Star Wars and 2001: A Space Odyssey . I just said it, shoot me!
:beathorse:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, it was "There's Something About Mary."

11-something-mary.jpg

á´…eparted

passages
The Office
Scrubs
Superbad (and all of the related movies with the same kind of cast, humor, etc).

While I do understand "why", it doesn't make it any less revolting nor do I "get it".

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Office
Scrubs
Superbad (and all of the related movies with the same kind of cast, humor, etc).

While I do understand "why", it doesn't make it any less revolting nor do I "get it".

I'd have to give The Office UK a chance before I give up on it totally, but for now I'd say I don't "get" The Office US.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd have to give The Office UK a chance before I give up on it totally, but for now I'd say I don't "get" The Office US.

There are shows that I like but I feel uninspired to watch the entire run of.

The Office is one of those. I laugh at the episodes I see, but I don't feel motivated to watch them all.
(New Girl and Wilfred and Better Off Ted are some others that I laugh at and think are really funny, but have trouble persisting watching.)

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are shows that I like but I feel uninspired to watch the entire run of.

The Office is one of those. I laugh at the episodes I see, but I don't feel motivated to watch them all.
(New Girl and Wilfred and Better Off Ted are some others that I laugh at and think are really funny, but have trouble persisting watching.)

I feel the same way. If I turn on the TV and the show is running, I'll leave it on while doing chores. What it is I don't know, maybe I have no "chemistry" with anybody in the cast, or any character in the story?! The only comedy series I've finished so far is Seinfeld.

Since we're speaking TV shows, I'll add The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. I don't just "not get it", I'll switch the channel if they're on. :dont:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel the same way. If I turn on the TV and the show is running, I'll leave it on while doing chores. What it is I don't know, maybe I have no "chemistry" with anybody in the cast, or any character in the story?! The only comedy series I've finished so far is Seinfeld.

Since we're speaking TV shows, I'll add The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. I don't just "not get it", I'll switch the channel if they're on. :dont:

Yeah, I've watched a few random episodes of TBBT and think they're amusing, but no desire to sit and actually watch it. I view it as the "geek show for non-geeks."

When all the uproar happened over HIMYM, I actually did a day or two of reading on the show, and watched a few random episodes; but never had much interest in the show really, it wasn't that appealing to me.

never got into COPS either. :D

EDIT: And, heaven help, me, I didn't think Frozen was that great either. Some part of it (like the trolls) were stupid/dull, and the best parts (except for the resolution of Anna's plotline), I'd already seen in other movies. Even "Let it Go" is a shadow of "Defying Gravity" from Wicked, tbh.

It had some decent/respectable elements, but .... I don't get the rabid fandom.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Citizen Kane, Schindler's List (snooze-fest), The Deer Hunter, Friends, Star Wars (last half hour was good, but the first half was boring).

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I've watched a few random episodes of TBBT and think they're amusing, but no desire to sit and actually watch it. I view it as the "geek show for non-geeks."
I hate to say that I dislike all of the characters in TBBT.

never got into COPS either. :D
Somehow I'm into this.

EDIT: And, heaven help, me, I didn't think Frozen was that great either. Some part of it (like the trolls) were stupid/dull, and the best parts (except for the resolution of Anna's plotline), I'd already seen in other movies.
You're not alone. In fact, most academy awards winning animated movies lately (which mostly are Disney - Pixar) are overrated, for trying too hard to be "meaningful" and "educative" they end up being way too political and naive. I was utterly disappointed that The Wind Rises couldn't win at 86th Academy Awards, considering it's the last Hayao Miyazaki's work and last Studio Ghibli's production to be nominated. So sad.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Citizen Kane, Schindler's List (snooze-fest), The Deer Hunter, Friends, Star Wars (last half hour was good, but the first half was boring).

Schindler's List :cheers: It was painful for me to watch, not in the way Steven Spielberg anticipated.
With the same topic, The Pianist is a much more moving and well executed movie.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
TV:
How I Met Your Mother
I kind of like The Walking Dead, but I find the first 3 seasons overrated. (Haven't seen S4.)

Movies:
Crash
Black Swan - The idea was interesting and I think there was a lot of potential there, but IMHO it ended up as the cinematic equivalent of a Lady Gaga concert. (Okay, maybe not that bad...) Maybe I'm just too dense to get it (and admittedly I've only seen it once), but I found this movie kind of emotionally hollow, conceptually simple, and pretentious. (I like Aronofsky's Requiem for a Dream, but the ending has the same problem of waving the drama and tragedy in the audience's face to the point where it just feels manipulative and that dulls the emotional impact.)
Star Wars

Edit: I forgot The Notebook

Last edited:

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Arctic Hysteria said:
With the same topic, The Pianist is a much more moving and well executed movie.

I heard Harvey Keitel is nekkid in this one, so I'm avoiding it.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
TV:
Movies:
Crash
Black Swan - The concept itself was interesting and I think there was a lot of potential there, but IMHO it ended up as the cinematic equivalent of a Lady Gaga concert. (Okay, maybe not that bad...) Maybe I'm just too dense to get it (and admittedly I've only seen it once), but I found this movie kind of emotionally hollow, conceptually simple, and pretentious. (I like Aronofsky's Requiem for a Dream, but the ending has the same problem of waving the drama and tragedy in the audience's face to the point where it just feels manipulative and that dulls the emotional impact.)
Ditto about Star Wars.

Ditto about Crash, the most terrible Oscar winner I could think of :worthy: They gave it to Crash that year so Brokeback Mountain could not win.

I've been a big fan of Darren Aronofsky from day one, and I was fairly disappointed with Black Swan. The ideas and the message were there, but the characters were just not convincing enough. Now he made this big-budget blockbuster Noah that I haven't bothered to watch yet.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Homeland... it was okay, but really didn't leave an impression.

There must be more, but I somehow can't think of any right now.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MOVIE SERIES
  • The Matrix
  • Lord of the Rings and (especially) The Hobbit
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Quentin Tarantino movies
    • Seriously, are the fun action sequences really worth having to wait through all the characters spending hours of talking about movie trivia that I could look up on IMDb?
  • Most David Lynch movies
    • He's Michael Bay with no budget or pyrotechnics.
  • Scary Movie
    • Only the third one was remotely funny.

MOVIES
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
    • Why does this movie get a free pass for essentially being a special effects demo reel? It can't be good because the story was good, because the story made no sense until 2010 came out 16 years later. So the next time you bash movies for being too dependent on special effects, think of this one.
  • The Silence of the Lambs
    • Dammit, I love the movie, but you have to admit, it hasn't aged well. Anthony Hopkins is a ham in this (though it worked well in Hannibal).
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
    • What is this doing with a fresh rating on the Tomatometer? I understand that there have been some bad Trek films, but none of them legitimately pissed me off for their lack of inspiration like this one.
  • Gravity
    • I'm sorry, but Sandra Bullock is the stupidest astronaut ever. How did NASA allow her in space?

That's all I got for now...

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MOVIE SERIES
  • The Matrix
  • Lord of the Rings and (especially) The Hobbit
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Quentin Tarantino movies
    • Seriously, are the fun action sequences really worth having to wait through all the characters spending hours of talking about movie trivia that I could look up on IMDb?
  • Most David Lynch movies
    • He's Michael Bay with no budget or pyrotechnics.
  • Scary Movie
    • Only the third one was remotely funny.

MOVIES
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
    • Why does this movie get a free pass for essentially being a special effects demo reel? It can't be good because the story was good, because the story made no sense until 2010 came out 16 years later. So the next time you bash movies for being too dependent on special effects, think of this one.
  • The Silence of the Lambs
    • Dammit, I love the movie, but you have to admit, it hasn't aged well. Anthony Hopkins is a ham in this (though it worked well in Hannibal).
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
    • What is this doing with a fresh rating on the Tomatometer? I understand that there have been some bad Trek films, but none of them legitimately pissed me off for their lack of inspiration like this one.
  • Gravity
    • I'm sorry, but Sandra Bullock is the stupidest astronaut ever. How did NASA allow her in space?

That's all I got for now...

Cannot agree more on Space Odyssey, Star Trek, Pirates of Caribbean (I never even finished the first one, fell asleep) and Gravity (Sandra Bullock is usually terrible in dramas, and this time in drama-scifi. So many sappy scenes and convos)

About David Lynch, even though I do love his series Twin Peaks a lot and I did enjoy Mulholland Drive, most of his stuff put me to sleep. I do see how he's considered to be one of the most influential and original filmmakers of all time, but I just can't say he's my favorite director. Stanley Kubrick and he give me headaches, though I highly appreciate their visions and imageries. David Lynch, however, appears to be condescending, self-absorbed and pretentious in other aspects. He has some talents in music too though.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[*]He's Michael Bay with no budget or pyrotechnics.

I get not liking David Lynch, but have you seen anything other than Dune? At his best, he is to movies what Dali is to painting. He's a Surrealist, basically, and even comes up with ideas through similar methods. I definitely understand hating that, but it's really nothing like Michael Bay.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get not liking David Lynch, but have you seen anything other than Dune? At his best, he is to movies what Dali is to painting. He's a Surrealist, basically, and even comes up with ideas through similar methods. I definitely understand hating that, but it's really nothing like Michael Bay.

Yeah, I see that as an odd analogy too.

I think Aronofsky movies are all generally worth watching, although IMO black swan is superior to noah. What I didn't get about black swan is why it was popular in general circles; I saw it as a niche movie.

As a similar example, I liked inception but have no clue how it became the summer fad.