• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies & Shows everyone seems to love so much and you can't understand why!

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of my favorites. :wubbie: The actors could actually shoot, move, and reload properly, use cover/concealment, and position themselves to have overlapping fields of fire. Michael Mann even understands that the engine block is the only part of a car you can truly consider cover. That means a lot to a nerd like me. :D

"The cast was given weapons and tactics training by former British Special Air Service members Andy McNab and Mick Gould. "

Raffaella

bon vivant
I really like this show, especially the music, but I agree - Javert was completely miscast in the movie version. I didn't like the singing of the actress who played adult Cosette either. Philip Quast was much better as Javert in the 10th anniversary show. It was a nice touch in the movie, though, to have the iconic Colm Wilkinson (original London cast) play the Bishop.

Wow, they're incomparable and Crowe can't even act, what were they thinking when they decided to cast him?

I agree, Amanda Seyfried and Eddie Redmayne were bland, I almost fell asleep. I haven't read the books (despite my mum's nagging) but the musical is in its final days in the theatre here so I may entertain the idea of watching it. Quite frankly, I've been turned off the whole thing thanks to the awful film.

One of my favorites. :wubbie: The actors could actually shoot, move, and reload properly, use cover/concealment, and position themselves to have overlapping fields of fire. Michael Mann even understands that the engine block is the only part of a car you can truly consider cover. That means a lot to a nerd like me. :D

:laugh: Aside from the technical side, did you like the plot?

I know, I know, I really wanted to like it! :boohoo:

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fargo (movie)

Loved the tv show.

Why do people like it so much?

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because it's AWESOMEEE? :encore:

Cohen brothers' stuff are pretty just love it or hate it.

I would call it an okay movie. A B-class movie that you watch it because you had nothing to watch. Yes yes yes the acting was good. What i felt it lacked was length and i think that's the first i felt it. They could have made the scene where the kidnappers are caught longer by adding some detective work. And the way yhe husband gets caught is too soon and too sad. Yes yes that was where they could have lengthen it, catching the husband, finding evidence of his involvement.

Did you enjoy the tv series? It was much better and was shockingly entertaining. Yes a lot of weight was put behind the assasin's character but even if he was made mediocre the show still would have been entertaining. The detective work the lead character does is classic detective work. No Sherlocks there.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I liked the God Father 1 and esp 2. I don't see any females complaining about it. I am still kinda concerned whether i like it mainly because it appeals to the i-want-to-be-a-crime-boss-who-is-above-the-law part of tbe male brain.

The second was better tha the first.

Complaints ladies?

Raffaella

bon vivant
Complaints ladies?

... complain about what?

I think they're the best "anti-hero" films to date, better than even Taxi Driver. I have no idea how many times I've seen the club scene in which Michael first realises that it was Fredo that betrayed him, I kept rewinding and re-watching it, and it still hasn't lost its impact on me.

I haven't seen part 3 and I have no desire to.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[*] Heat (1995), I wanted to like this, I really did but it, too, took itself seriously. It was almost comical.
[/LIST]

Really? I've never run across a comment like this for that movie. Interesting. I thought much of the acting was powerful, and I liked how Mann lets the story speak for itself without adding lots of emotional flourish (like Braveheart, where you're pretty much steered to feel a certain way). I don't consider it even a popular-hyped movie, it seems to be respected by a subgenre of viewers and mainstream viewers might not even remember it. But ... okay.

I agree with your thoughts on the 3D pics. I think they work best in IMAX theater, and I saw Avatar a number of times simply for the immersive effect even if the story was kind of predictable and I'm not really a Worthington fan. I have a large-screen 3D TV, which helps, but they're more "experiential" films... they immerse you in their environment. Tron Legacy was the worst, it really has very little true drama occurring and the plot itself is rather humdrum. Kosinski has issues with that kind of thing; his background is in architecture and it shows, as the landscape design is clean and minimalist in his movies but he seems to have trouble knowing what to do with dramatic arc.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would call it an okay movie. A B-class movie that you watch it because you had nothing to watch. Yes yes yes the acting was good. What i felt it lacked was length and i think that's the first i felt it. They could have made the scene where the kidnappers are caught longer by adding some detective work. And the way yhe husband gets caught is too soon and too sad. Yes yes that was where they could have lengthen it, catching the husband, finding evidence of his involvement.

Did you enjoy the tv series? It was much better and was shockingly entertaining. Yes a lot of weight was put behind the assasin's character but even if he was made mediocre the show still would have been entertaining. The detective work the lead character does is classic detective work. No Sherlocks there.
A B-Class movie? Sorry bro, the things you consider weaknesses of the movie actually made it brilliant. It's not a movie for everyone. It's not a detective movie. It's a slow boil thriller with black humor at its best.
I fully agree if you say it didn't fit your taste. But it's in my list of all-time favorites. :D

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Les Miserables (2012). I almost started crying, not because it was heart-wrenching but 'cause of Javert's singing ("Stop! Stop! Please make it stop! Ohhh, won't someone think of the children?!")
I did NOT watch it because I knew I'd hate it. I might just burst into... laugh at the most "heart-wrenching" yet singing scenes and offend everyone. I read the book as a kid and I've seen several adaptations. Feel nothing for it.

Also, science-fiction films like Avatar, Gravity and Tron: Legacy are designed to be watched once and in IMAX theatres. I watched Gravity in IMAX and there were moments in which I wanted to leap into the screen 'cause it was oh so pretty but I didn't think much of the subpar storyline. I wasn't impressed by Gravity, the character was one-dimensional, but it had good elements regarding survival and spirituality, so it was worth watching.
I never understand the hype for 3D movies. Just never do. 3D never makes a movie any better for me.
I was excited about Tron: Legacy simply because the soundtracks by Daft Punk was too magnificent.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A B-Class movie? Sorry bro, the things you consider weaknesses of the movie actually made it brilliant. It's not a movie for everyone. It's not a detective movie. It's a slow boil thriller with black humor at its best.
I fully agree if you say it didn't fit your taste. But it's in my list of all-time favorites. :D

FUCK YOU FOR NOT AGREEING WITH ME!!!!!!!!!

J/K

But,

Sometimes classic movies are like religion. If you weren't born believing it's real (or good) you wouldn't ever grow up and start believing in them.

Fargo could be different. Maybe it really is a classic movie, but unfortunately for me I watched the series before the movie and the movie didn't live up to my comparative expectations nor upto the reviews.

If you watch the series you'd realize what I am talking about - regarding the capture of the husband.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Breaking Bad. Seriously, the middle class romantic delusions about SELLING METH honestly makes me hate people. Almost as much as that movie called Good People or something like v that, where the people aren't good at all but capitalize on their neighbors murder, then wonder why bad things are happening to them. I don't know if Americans are morally bankrupt or just stupid

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Breaking Bad. Seriously, the middle class romantic delusions about SELLING METH honestly makes me hate people. Almost as much as that movie called Good People or something like v that, where the people aren't good at all but capitalize on their neighbors murder, then wonder why bad things are happening to them. I don't know if Americans are morally bankrupt or just stupid

Fi?

Breaking free from social and legal constraints is something a lot of people wish for or fantasize.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
FUCK YOU FOR NOT AGREEING WITH ME!!!!!!!!!

J/K

But,

Sometimes classic movies are like religion. If you weren't born believing it's real (or good) you wouldn't ever grow up and start believing in them.

Fargo could be different. Maybe it really is a classic movie, but unfortunately for me I watched the series before the movie and the movie didn't live up to my comparative expectations nor upto the reviews.

If you watch the series you'd realize what I am talking about - regarding the capture of the husband.

I've seen the TV series. I was only excited about it because I was a fan of Fargo 1996, knowing it borrows the eerie elements from the original full length.
I never liked Coen brothers until I watched Fargo. Not a fan of True Grit or The Big Lebowski or Miller's Crossing. But Blood Simple, Barton Fink, Fargo, No Country for Old Men, Burn After Reading, A Serious Man and even their recent Inside Llewyn Davis were great.

I personally don't care for what people consider "classic" when it comes to movies choice for my staying in nights. I hate plenty of classic movies.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Breaking free from social and legal constraints is something a lot of people wish for or fantasize.

Instantly reminds me of this awesome early 90s flick

MBTI Type
INTJ
Darren Aronofsky broke my heart by making 2 big budgets and blockbuster-ish movies.

I hate it when my favorite directors "do it big and loud".

Why is this exactly? Do you find something about movies with large budgets inherently distasteful, or do you find that most people just aren't very good at making them?

While I'm here, I'll add a few more to my list:

Buffy The Vampire Slayer (I liked the movie though)
Edgar Wright's Cornetto trilogy
Brokeback Mountain
Donnie Darko
Mulholland Dr.

In the case of Mulholland Dr., I thought it was so bad that I have a pet theory that it's David Lynch's joke on film critics. He's a universally acclaimed director, and I think he may have deliberately made an obtuse movie that makes no sense just to show that critics are lazy and have preconceived ideas about the work of certain directors.

To everyone that listed 2001: A Space Odyssey, Vertigo, or that one unfortunate soul who listed Rear Window - let's never go to the movies together :cheers: