• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies & Shows everyone seems to love so much and you can't understand why!

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Larry king live.

Wow that guy sucks. Suck mediocre questions. Pathetic.

Although i disagree with bill o'riley, i must confess he does ask good penetrating questions. He even plays the devil's advocate on people who has similar opinions as his own.

I obviously dislike his aggression. He shouts to intimidate. It probably worked on the playground at his school.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched half of alfred hitcock's read window. Was too bored to finish it. Wow the main actor Is such a bore. But i do understand that he probably have an appeal - i am talking about his casual convo style - has its appeal at times.

Are you actually dissing on Jimmy Stewart?

... film sensibilities and acting sensibilities were a LOT different in the 1940's or whenever that movie was made. I've seen a few films from that period that I liked (I thought Stewart was really good in The Philadelphia Story), but I had to change my expectations pretty drastically and get in sync with the period zeitgeist to enjoy them.

I was decently impressed with Perkins in "Psycho" but found "North by Northwest" to be pretty dull after having been exposed to years of modern suspense thrillers.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Star Wars in general, yeah. I mean, chick made out with her twin brother and then later claimed that 'somehow, she always knew' that they were siblings.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
This thread has revealed to me that some people should not be allowed to have a sense of taste, and that I am one of them.

93JC

Watched half of alfred hitcock's read window. Was too bored to finish it. Wow the main actor Is such a bore. But i do understand that he probably have an appeal - i am talking about his casual convo style - has its appeal at times.

Get out.

Beorn

Permabanned
Never been able to finish Citizen Kane.

Finally watched a few episodes of Twin Peaks after the show's revival was announced. Right now I'm on the fence. At first I thought they had me at "Log Lady" but after a couple of face stuffing scenes I'm not so sure.

Nicodemus

Never been able to finish Citizen Kane.
What? Citizen Kane has aged so much better than many so-called classics.

Finally watched a few episodes of Twin Peaks after the show's revival was announced. Right now I'm on the fence. At first I thought they had me at "Log Lady" but after a couple of face stuffing scenes I'm not so sure.
Stop after the first season. The second ruins it all.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Walking Dead.

Please, zombies stopped being cool like 3 Resident Evils ago. Also, making plans for a zombie invasion is totally silly, and I don't mean the good kind of silly.

The Hobbit

Movies in outer space are usually boring, the only exception was 'Gravity'.

Walking Dead has zero humor. Being SERIOUS all the farkin' time in a show, it's exhausting.

The Hobbit was the shortest book of Tolkien's 4 most popular. Fast and good read. Better than LOTRs, IMO. And Hollywood turns it into a 3 PART MOVIE??? Trash.

While Gravity was good, I wouldn't call it "not boring." haha, wouldn't watch it again, but glad I did.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't think of many movies right now... But I'm super picky about some types of movies. I watch movies for entertainment, if they get too dark or sad in off ways I just can't handle it.
Like Requiem for a dream.. a good movie, admittedly, but I won't watch it again. Movies like that, American History X, Menace to Society or whatever, a Clockwork Orange... i just can't watch those sort of dark, frowny-faced films. I don't get the take-home from that.. I find it difficult to enjoy movies like that.

Requiem for a Dream, Clockwork Orange, American History X, were one and done movies for me. EXCELLENT, but who needs to experience that trauma twice? (saw Menace II Society twice).

My roommate decided to watch Requiem for a Dream on a 2nd date once. He's not good at dating.

I like those movies if I'm in a dark mood OR to just watch a damn well made portrayal of the uglier side of humanity. I know it's there, and I choose to look.

Edit: I forgot The Notebook

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Walking Dead has zero humor. Being SERIOUS all the farkin' time in a show, it's exhausting.

The Hobbit was the shortest book of Tolkien's 4 most popular. Fast and good read. Better than LOTRs, IMO. And Hollywood turns it into a 3 PART MOVIE??? Trash.

While Gravity was good, I wouldn't call it "not boring." haha, wouldn't watch it again, but glad I did.

Mixed feelings on Gravity. There's not a lot to the plot or characterization, and also I consider it to be more of an "experience" and as such was most suited for a large IMAX 3D theater so that you can be engulfed in the same kind of space as the characters. I really found the experience amazing, but there's not a ton to it beyond that.

Not even touching "The Hobbit," or I'll be here all day. :dry:

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mixed feelings on Gravity. There's not a lot to the plot or characterization, and also I consider it to be more of an "experience" and as such was most suited for a large IMAX 3D theater so that you can be engulfed in the same kind of space as the characters. I really found the experience amazing, but there's not a ton to it beyond that.

Not even touching "The Hobbit," or I'll be here all day. :dry:

[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION]
OH shit, you know what? I was thinking of "Moon" for some damn reason. I haven't seen Gravity yet, haha. Man.

But I've seen the trailer and what you described is pretty much exactly what I expected.

edit: And actually, I haven't seen The Hobbit either, haha. But if it's anything like the LOTRs movies, I know it would be another money making, asses in the theater seats, hyped piece of shit that's milked for all it's worth.

After discovering it was a 3 part series, I was personally offended and decided to boycott. I'm sure Peter Jackson is suffering over it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OH shit, you know what? I was thinking of "Moon" for some damn reason. I haven't seen Gravity yet, haha. Man.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Well, okay -- I also own Moon. Good director, and Sam Rockwell does a wonderful job of carrying the movie, but I was bored on some levels despite rating it to be a decent movie. Sometimes a movie can be "good" without inspiring you to watch it again. (You know what I mean, jellybean?) Kinda have the same feeling about Shame.

edit: And actually, I haven't seen The Hobbit either, haha. But if it's anything like the LOTRs movies, I know it would be another money making, asses in the theater seats, hyped piece of shit that's milked for all it's worth.

I find them worse than the LotR movies, of which I could only stomach the first anyway. I did watch the first two Hobbit movies out of curiosity, and that's where it will remain.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My roommate decided to watch Requiem for a Dream on a 2nd date once. He's not good at dating.

Depends on who's the girl. If somebody invites me to re-watch Requiem for Dream on a 2nd date, I'm pretty sure we'd bond better from that moment on lol

Moon is my all time favorite low budget indie. With only Kevin Spacey's voice and Sam Rockwell throughout the movie, stranded in space, there has never been so much humanity.

I was desperately bored and disappointed by Gravity. I am a fan of Alfonso Cuarón, but I couldn't stomach how cheesy so many scenes were.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION]

But I've seen the trailer and what you described is pretty much exactly what I expected.

After discovering it was a 3 part series, I was personally offended and decided to boycott. I'm sure Peter Jackson is suffering over it.
Dude, so you basically haven't seen either movie. You know nothing, Johnny Snow.:alttongue:

Like Jen said, Gravity is a movie meant to be watched in 3D, for a good immersion. The plot is unsophisticated, but the movie is well made and very realistic. Very good acting, also. I'd probably get bored watching it at home though.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Miller's Crossing :shrug:

Moon is my all time favorite low budget indie. With only Kevin Spacey's voice and Sam Rockwell throughout the movie, stranded in space, there has never been so much humanity.
To me, making something like Moon for 5 million bucks is vastly more impressive than anything Michael Bay has ever done. :yes:

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depends on who's the girl. If somebody invites me to re-watch Requiem for Dream on a 2nd date, I'm pretty sure we'd bond better from that moment on lol

I'll remember to have Martyrs ready the next time I bring a first date over. :D

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dude, so you basically haven't seen either movie. You know nothing, Johnny Snow.:alttongue:

Lol.

hahaha, oh man.

So a lot of people didn't like Avatar (James Cameron, not M. Night Shyuck my b**** wretched version of Airbender). Like somewhat of a action/sci-fi with little depth. But I enjoyed the ever living shit out of it. In the theaters, 3D, was really surprised at how cool the 3D was. And just the whole damn movie was pretty fun for me. Would have been totally different at home.

Maybe that's a similar comparison.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Miller's Crossing :shrug:
Yeah. I managed to finish it one night when I was in the mood. Not my Coen's favorite.

To me, making something like Moon for 5 million bucks is vastly more impressive than anything Michael Bay has ever done. :yes:
:yesss:
Unfortunately the same guy went and made Source Code, a 32 million worth piece of crap.

Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes seem to be hoes for Gravity. What the heck, according to them, Moon is worse than... 22 Jump Street. I swear I've lost faith in them.