• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies & Shows everyone seems to love so much and you can't understand why!

xisnotx

Permabanned
star wars. i just can't get through any of the movies.
breaking bad. it's mediocre.
as was Lost. in fact, Lost was less than mediocre, verging on the bad. one of the most schizophrenic shows i've ever watched.
24. i never got over the fact that after watching a season, i'd now exactly how much time i had wasted watching a season...
David Letterman...is just not funny. his top 10 list are funny at times, but they're frequently out of order in my opinion..
Neither is SNL. I know that's like...sacrilege to some...but I don't know if I've ever laughed at even one SNL skit. They're stupid.
Also that "Whose line is it Anyway" show. I'm just like...if I wanted to see people act stupid...I'd just pay attention to them..

And so many others.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, I see that as an odd analogy too.

I think Aronofsky movies are all generally worth watching, although IMO black swan is superior to noah. What I didn't get about black swan is why it was popular in general circles; I saw it as a niche movie.

I think there's one scene that explains that..for men, anyway.

As a similar example, I liked inception but have no clue how it became the summer fad.

This is a bigger mystery.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could probably spend a while on this.

Most recently, I didn't see what was so great about Her.

EDIT: Someone mentioned Lost, so now I have to comment on that. Damon Lindelof himself, and the whole body of is work, are garbage. I don't understand how he became successful.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Deer Hunter
Vertigo (well it's highly acclaimed if not loved by everyone)
Firefly (watched only one episode though)
Mulholland Drive (to make things worse I still can't lose the erections)

Hmm... there is more to come.

Nicodemus

The Deer Hunter
Vertigo (well it's highly acclaimed if not loved by everyone)
Firefly (watched only one episode though)
I agree with all of these. I have never managed to see all of Deer Hunter in one go. I think Vertigo is highly overrated. And Joss Whedon is not my cup of tea; no movie or series of his has been to my liking.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am going to add to the list:

Annie Hall (Yess I said it. Only the last few seconds of the movie captured my interest, I don't get the Jewish identity joke and I guess I am not much into jokes about being frustrated).

If I ever watch another universally acclaimed 'old movie' and wouldn't enjoy it, I am never going to go out of my way to watch an old movie again. Maybe I am not classy enough for them.

Action, mystery/crime movies here I come.

Lost (But I loved it till the end when I/we realized that the directors/writers didn't have a proper ending, had too many questions unanswered and ended the series with a smoke monster having a fist fight with one of the main protagonists of the show. Fuck you for making us watch that.)

I agree with all of these. I have never managed to see all of Deer Hunter in one go. I think Vertigo is highly overrated. And Joss Whedon is not my cup of tea; no movie or series of his has been to my liking.

Surprised you agreed with all that.

I guess you leaving out Mulholland Drive meant you don't have mixed feeling - mixed feelings to put it nicely - about it. I liked it but didn't like the fact that the director left it to the viewers to guess what was real and what was not...... you know what, if the ending wasn't interpreted as a dream, the first part could have simply been a considered as an imagination/fairy tale of a depressed woman. I am still frustrated though, especially considering the director's TV series Twin Peaks was also left unfinished. I am glad I didn't watch it till the end.

MOVIE SERIES
  • The Matrix
  • Lord of the Rings and (especially) The Hobbit
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Quentin Tarantino movies
    • Seriously, are the fun action sequences really worth having to wait through all the characters spending hours of talking about movie trivia that I could look up on IMDb?
  • Most David Lynch movies
    • He's Michael Bay with no budget or pyrotechnics.
  • Scary Movie
    • Only the third one was remotely funny.

MOVIES
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
    • Why does this movie get a free pass for essentially being a special effects demo reel? It can't be good because the story was good, because the story made no sense until 2010 came out 16 years later. So the next time you bash movies for being too dependent on special effects, think of this one.
  • The Silence of the Lambs
    • Dammit, I love the movie, but you have to admit, it hasn't aged well. Anthony Hopkins is a ham in this (though it worked well in Hannibal).
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
    • What is this doing with a fresh rating on the Tomatometer? I understand that there have been some bad Trek films, but none of them legitimately pissed me off for their lack of inspiration like this one.
  • Gravity
    • I'm sorry, but Sandra Bullock is the stupidest astronaut ever. How did NASA allow her in space?

That's all I got for now...

Wow I love all these movies except the ones I have highlighted, none of which I haven't watched. (I watched the Pirates of the Carribean first movie and liked.) I will definitely watch the rest since you don't like it mainly because I liked the rest of the movies that you didn't like and because I almost always disagree with your tastes.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Big Bang Theory. Have not been able to sit through a single episode in its entirety.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I actually like Friends, but I was raised on it growing up so yeah. :blush:

Big Bang Theory. Have not been able to sit through a single episode in its entirety.

This I totally understand though. The jokes might be a little witty (although not witty like Frasier which is another sitcom I enjoy), but they always seem super dry to me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
MOVIE SERIES
  • The Matrix
    [*]Lord of the Rings and (especially) The Hobbit
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
    [*]Quentin Tarantino movies
    • Seriously, are the fun action sequences really worth having to wait through all the characters spending hours of talking about movie trivia that I could look up on IMDb?
  • Most David Lynch movies
    • He's Michael Bay with no budget or pyrotechnics.

[*]Scary Movie
    • Only the third one was remotely funny.

MOVIES
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
    • Why does this movie get a free pass for essentially being a special effects demo reel? It can't be good because the story was good, because the story made no sense until 2010 came out 16 years later. So the next time you bash movies for being too dependent on special effects, think of this one.
  • The Silence of the Lambs
    • Dammit, I love the movie, but you have to admit, it hasn't aged well. Anthony Hopkins is a ham in this (though it worked well in Hannibal).
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
    • What is this doing with a fresh rating on the Tomatometer? I understand that there have been some bad Trek films, but none of them legitimately pissed me off for their lack of inspiration like this one.
  • Gravity
    • I'm sorry, but Sandra Bullock is the stupidest astronaut ever. How did NASA allow her in space?

That's all I got for now...
the bolded I agree with but I've only seen the matrix and the only david lynch film I've seen was twin peaks and that's not even a film. I guess I liked it, but didn't hold my attention. scary movie i saw the first one wasn't worth it. I always get how can you hate quentin tarantino? i'm like the movies are boring to me and trying to hard to be bad ass. I got dragged to django so fucking bored, and my friend made me sit through kill bill. i saw lord of the rings against my will, oh wow people walking how exciting :rolleyes:

never seen any of the star trek movies. I tend to stick to the tv series when it comes to star trek. Gravity looks boring, isn't it like most the movie floating in space? same reason i didn't see 127 hrs.

Ghoul

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
huh
Harry Potter : dogshit taste
Walking dead: horseshit taste
anything that discovery or history channel plays (nowadays): you need to be put down

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I actually like Friends, but I was raised on it growing up so yeah. :blush:

I wasn't even raised on it and I love it. I started watching it when I was 19. I won't argue that it's television at it's finest. But, I find it hilarious.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Sooo many of my friends think it's absolutely hysterical. INTP friend made me watch it and ended up getting annoyed because apparently I was laughing at the wrong things. :shrug: I don't really get the appeal of The Walking Dead either, or any zombie apocalypse themed show.

BWCB1890

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Why does everyone seem to love The Big Bang Theory and Glee? From what I've seen they are not that great.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why does everyone seem to love The Big Bang Theory and Glee? From what I've seen they are not that great.

I always thought Glee killed all the songs they covered. :unsure:

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Simpsons jumped the shark 20 years ago.

More like ~15 years ago, but anyway

nothing touches the quality of the golden era, not even seinfeld

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More like ~15 years ago, but anyway

nothing touches the quality of the golden era, not even seinfeld

An example of jumping the shark would be the 'Homer in outer space' episode. Family Guy had a similar episode, but it was not blown out of all proportion. Peter bought a used space shuttle, lifted off from his front yard, then came in the front door two days later talking about what a blast it was to jack off in outer space - except for the fact that the inside of the space shuttle began to look like a snow globe.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An example of jumping the shark would be the 'Homer in outer space' episode. Family Guy had a similar episode, but it was not blown out of all proportion. Peter bought a used space shuttle, lifted off from his front yard, then came in the front door two days later talking about what a blast it was to jack off in outer space - except for the fact that the inside of the space shuttle began to look like a snow globe.

I'm familiar with the term.

Deep Space Homer, the 'homer in outer space' episode has a bunch of funny moments, and I liked the James Taylor guest appearance. It certainly does not stand out in my memory as a bad episode. There were still four seasons left before it seriously started to wane in quality.

Season nine had episodes like The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson, and the one where carnies take over the Simpson house, those are classic episodes.

Season ten had the episode with Kim Bassinger and Alec Baldwin, cringe central.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.

:)