MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by silvery sleeves View Post
    I'm familiar with the term.
    I know, I wasn't attempting to explain that term, but rather, the reason I question liking The Simpson's when it is so over-blown, and, as you state below, contains guest celebrity appearances such as James Taylor and Jack Stripe. Sheesh. I was even tempted to use the celebrity guest appearances as another example, in contrast to the ones on Family Guy which are entirely humor based and not "Wow! Lookie look! We're the Simpson's! And we have guest celebrities even though we're just a cartoon, (ahem, the most successful cartoon in history)!" It is ridiculously self-congratulatory.

Deep Space Homer, the 'homer in outer space' episode has a bunch of funny moments, and I liked the James Taylor guest appearance. It definitely does not stand out in my memory as a bad episode. There were still four seasons left before it seriously started to wane in quality.

Season nine had episodes like The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson, and the one where carnies take over the Simpson house, those are classic episodes.

Season ten had the episode with Kim Bassinger and Alec Baldwin, cringe central.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.

Aesthetic opinions aren't scientific anyway.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I'm familiar with the term.

Deep Space Homer, the 'homer in outer space' episode has a bunch of funny moments, and I liked the James Taylor guest appearance. It certainly does not stand out in my memory as a bad episode. There were still four seasons left before it seriously started to wane in quality.

Season nine had episodes like The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson, and the one where carnies take over the Simpson house, those are classic episodes.

Season ten had the episode with Kim Bassinger and Alec Baldwin, cringe central.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.

As far funny goes, I never said the Simpson's wasn't funny. I like the part where Homer called Bart a "train wreck" while Bart looked at him in open-mouthed astonishment. Classic Simpson's - the kind that I miss.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I know, I wasn't attempting to explain that term, but rather, the reason I question liking The Simpson's when it is so over-blown, and, as you state below, contains guest celebrity appearances such as James Taylor and Jack Stripe. Sheesh. I was even tempted to use the celebrity guest appearances as another example, in contrast to the ones on Family Guy which are entirely humor based and not "Wow! Lookie look! We're the Simpson's! And we have guest celebrities even though we're just a cartoon, (ahem, the most successful cartoon in history)!" It is ridiculously self-congratulatory.
    Eh, celebrity guest appearances are fine as long as they're not a main selling point of the episode, as they almost always are now. They can be used to comedic affect.

The James Taylor appearance, I always liked that part even before I knew who he was.

As far funny goes, I never said the Simpson's wasn't funny. I like the part where Homer called Bart a "train wreck" while Bart looked at him in open-mouthed astonishment. Classic Simpson's - the kind that I miss.
    Ahh, ok.

The worst episode of The Simpsons is better than the best episode of Family Guy.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

The Big Lebowski and anything with Hobbits.

I cannot abide either.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

The Godfather and The Godfather Part II, but I understand why. I don't agree, but I understand.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I once attempted to watch Eastenders on PBS but it was soooo bad. I hate to pick on the British, but Dr. Who is also terrible.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Tosh.0.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I once attempted to watch Eastenders on PBS but it was soooo bad. I hate to pick on the British, but Dr. Who is also terrible.
    Yeah it's why I decided long ago to watch hardly any television whatsoever.

Fortunately the future of viewing is in pick and choose at any time, starting with the invention of the internet.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

- Breaking Bad. I can see why people love it 'cause it's a well written greek tragedy and all but the characters just don't appeal to me. I don't know why yet I have rabid fans jumping down my throat insisting that I'm stupid and don't understand it. What's not to get? It wasn't created by David Lynch, it's pretty straightforward. It just doesn't affect me.

- The Walking Dead lacked good characters, too. One-dimensional, the whole lot of them.

- Personally, I love British comedies. The Office (UK) is far superior to The Office (US) which is incredibly dull in comparison.

- I also really dislike Breakfast at Tiffany's. Was I supposed to be romanced or something? It bored me and the main character is too annoying. I didn't care for her or the idiot that loved her.
    Night is another candle