User Tag List

First 1220212223 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    family guy makes me want to smash the tv. last time i watched it i said "not funny" after every "joke" but apparently that can be percieved as "annoying" and "unattractive."
    Yeah, I'm not particularly a big fan either. The show relies heavily on cutaways for its humor, which I find kind of... lazy, I guess? Gets monotonous & tired pretty fast. A few random bits have struck me as clever on rare occasion, but for the most part, the humor just doesn't do it for me.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Eh I like family guy. Its something to pass the time, and the story lines are usually at least semi original if a bit zany. I am younger though so maybe that has a part in it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Is BBT supposed to be about geniuses, or scientists?
    Both, actually. The subtext on the show is that the characters are so awkward not just because they work in the sciences, but because their intellect make the mores of "average folk" incomprehensible to them. It's apparently mentioned explicitly somewhere in the show that Leonard is supposed to have an IQ of of 173 and Sheldon is supposed to have an IQ of 187. Obviously IQ is not an end all be all measure of genius, but taken altogether, you get the point.

You don't need the weekly plot to revolve around solution of a complex problem to make the science real and present in the series. It's fine for the plotlines to revolve around relationships and daily life - in fact that is what will keep the show accessible to the average viewer. The science can reside in subplots and background, but in BBT, it doesn't even do that.
    The point that I was making was that part of the appeal of the show is the vicarious experience of "genius" for the intellectually lazy. If people wanted a show just about the relationships and daily life, they'd watch Friends. So to that extent, most shows that feature a "brilliant" character will have that character doing "brilliant" things so that people can come along for the ride and feel what it's like to function at that level. Some shows accomplish this better than other; BBT doesn't even try. The shows whole schtick is basically to drop all conceivable shorthands for exceptionally high intelligence, and then reduce the actual quality to nothing more than a series of popsci buzzwords that anyone was halfway paying attention in class during a high school physics class would get. Thus constant allusions to the fact that the characters work in the sciences is ironically as critical to the show as those references remaining as vacuous as possible.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    The strength of that kind of movie really depends on the villain, and it's why I think The Dark Knight has yet to be topped in the superhero genre.
    I can't believe you went there...

Which villain? The mindless plot hook with less personality than a car bomb or the overwrought and ultimately dupeable excuse for a seasoned lawyer?

One had no reason, no purpose and no background or life outside of the two dimensional mask and the other spent the whole film being a giant tool because someone was mean to him. The only problem was, that was the guy he teamed up with!

Give me Top Dollar over those two.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    family guy makes me want to smash the tv. last time i watched it i said "not funny" after every "joke" but apparently that can be percieved as "annoying" and "unattractive."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Yeah, I'm not particularly a big fan either. The show relies heavily on cutaways for its humor, which I find kind of... lazy, I guess? Gets monotonous & tired pretty fast. A few random bits have struck me as clever on rare occasion, but for the most part, the humor just doesn't do it for me.
    I'm not a fan, either. Some of the jokes are funny, but it bothers me that everything is sacrificed for the joke in that show. Character, plot, continuity...all are tossed aside if there's a laugh line to be had. The show doesn't have the discipline of a good comedy.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I was never much of a fan of Seinfeld. It was OK, but to this day I feel pretty "Meh" about it.

I don't understand why people like the vast majority of "Reality" shows. They are almost always nothing even slightly like actual reality. They seem to just be artificially created drama fests that the people watching can emotionally relate to (or hate) and then feel good about saying bad things about the individuals on the show. How is that fun to watch?
    "ENFJ- The Diplomat Champion (will take on crusades and WILL kill every last mfr in the room!)" ~Xander

Enneagram: You are a Type 2 with a 3 wing: "The Helper Advocate"

Your trifix is 2w3, 6w5, 1w9.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by BluRoses View Post
    I was never much of a fan of Seinfeld. It was OK, but to this day I feel pretty "Meh" about it.

I don't understand why people like the vast majority of "Reality" shows. They are almost always nothing even slightly like actual reality. They seem to just be artificially created drama fests that the people watching can emotionally relate to (or hate) and then feel good about saying bad things about the individuals on the show. How is that fun to watch?

I always kind of enjoyed dissecting the motivations of people on those shows. I don't like shows like dance moms, or what not to wear, or stuff like that, but there some that I really enjoy. Survivor for one, although some may say its scripted, I love seeing the strategy involved. You have the people who vote with their hearts and you have those who vote with their heads. The above might be an oversimplication, but its just interesting to see who goes far and what causes that.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by BluRoses View Post
    Yeah, I hate that and the "ritual humiliation" subgenres of reality shows. Somebody once told me that she only watched the early rounds of American Idol, when they weeded out the really bad acts. AI starts as ritual humiliation and becomes a talent show.

On the other hand, I was once addicted to Survivor, before it became more-of-the-same except for new gimmicks and stunt casting. I like political games, and that's what Survivor ultimately is. I've seen players win with different strategies, playing to their own personal strengths. But most fascinating are the "tragic" characters, the ones who start out well but expose a fatal flaw and sabotage themselves.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Have never really watched many reality shows, although I was a fan of the first few seasons of The Apprentice, mainly for the same reasons. (And did watch the first season of Survivor.)

It was interesting to me to examine the personalities of the characters and speculate on which were more capable of leveraging their own capabilities, deal with random factors and undermining from other players and then intersecting best with Trump's psychology, in order to achieve victory. But the show became too capricious and Trump a little too predictable.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Another fascinating thing I've seen in Survivor and The Apprentice is the human as pack animal. (I mean like wolves, not mules. ) All the players are in an artificial social group and they start out theoretically equal, but they quickly sort themselves into social hierarchies. Sometimes there is a genuine alpha. Other players naturally defer to alphas, and alphas always win. Maybe a skilled Iago type could take an alpha down in a reality show, but I've never seen it happen.

The Apprentice had a true alpha in Randal, a smart, tall, handsome, and confident black man. Everybody liked him too, to the point that nobody minded losing to him. Trump warned the other players more than once that they were handing the game to him on a plate, but I guess they couldn't help themselves.
    Likes N/A liked this post