User Tag List

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies & Shows everyone seems to love so much and you can't understand why!

MBTI
    :}

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    yeah, if you're not hot for Worf, you must be a closet Rigellian!

Lol maybe you need some dayquil for that cold!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Screw you!!!

Also, although the new films were good and did every Star Trek fan a favour by reviving the franchise it destroyed the Star Trek universe as we know it and worse it showed the whole world that Hollywood for some reason lacks or don't hire good writers.

They had to bring back Khan. C'mon!
    At least a modification to the scanner array didn't magically prevent everything from happening though.

Plus if Khan was the price of having Benedict in the film, I gladly pay it.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    At least a modification to the scanner array didn't magically prevent everything from happening though.

Plus if Khan was the price of having Benedict in the film, I gladly pay it.
    Frankly, I was deeply disappointed that Into Darkness wasn't a spin-off/continuation of Spock's Brain, as Wrath of Khan was to Space Seed.

What would Captain Kirk do without Spock's brain?
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Big Bang Theory.

Someone already mentioned it toward the beginning of the thread, but this was the first show that came to mind when I read the OP. In fact, some of my colleagues and I fell into critiquing it after work today. It is implausible, relies on lowest common denominator humor, and totally misses the boat on what shuld be a good opportunity to present good (i.e. real) science to the viewing public. Might as well watch reruns of Gilligan's Island.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere
    Likes Osprey liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Farscape
    That stands out because I'm usually into the nerd genres, but it had a fake, erratic feeling for me and I couldn't connect to it.
    Oh, I take that almost as an insult! (No, not really.)

I'm actually just now rewatching Farscape at the end of season 2 and to me, it's as golden as ever. I can understand it doesn't appeal to everybody, it has a lot of quirkiness and weirdness in it but the humor and especially the characterization hits me just the right way. I think the characters in Farscape are more real than in many other shows I've seen.
    "The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd."
    - Bernard Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Big Bang Theory.

Someone already mentioned it toward the beginning of the thread, but this was the first show that came to mind when I read the OP. In fact, some of my colleagues and I fell into critiquing it after work today. It is implausible, relies on lowest common denominator humor, and totally misses the boat on what shuld be a good opportunity to present good (i.e. real) science to the viewing public. Might as well watch reruns of Gilligan's Island.
    In one word: Chuck Lorre.

MBTI
    :}

Oh and Avatar... It was too long, and when everyone stood up and gaving like a standing ovation I just wanted to sprint for the exit

(in)formation Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    872 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Big Bang Theory.

I always thought that the deal with BBT was to present "genius" in a manner that was not actually alienating to the average viewer. Like, you throw enough entry-level popsci references to Einstein and quantum physics, and Joe Blow can feel like he's watching "smart television" while still being able to follow the jokes.

I feel a lot of shows with supposedly brilliant protagonist suffer from this problem. Sherlock and House are examples that come to mind immediately. Beyond the challenge of making genius accessible, is the technical difficulty presented by the medium of episodic storytelling. I'd imagine that having to come up with a problem that is both resolvable in a 20 or 45 minute timeframe, while being complex enough that it would take a seemingly brilliant mind to get to the bottom of it is a pretty demanding feat for a writing room. More serialized programs that allow for more protracted arcs between setup-->resolution can permit a world and characters with realistic shades and ambiguities to evolve, as well as the time a viewer needs to become invested in really understanding them. Such that when Walter White manages to get his money and the rest of his meth stash back from another drug lord armed with nothing but a bag of fulminated mercury, it's awesome rather than gimmicky.

respect the brick Array C.J.Woolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    Beyond the challenge of making genius accessible, is the technical difficulty presented by the medium of episodic storytelling. I'd imagine that having to come up with a problem that is both resolvable in a 20 or 45 minute timeframe, while being complex enough that it would take a seemingly brilliant mind to get to the bottom of it is a pretty demanding feat for a writing room. More serialized programs that allow for more protracted arcs between setup-->resolution can permit a world and characters with realistic shades and ambiguities to evolve, as well as the time a viewer needs to become invested in really understanding them. Such that when Walter White manages to get his money and the rest of his meth stash back from another drug lord armed with nothing but a bag of fulminated mercury, it's awesome rather than gimmicky.
    You bring to mind the miniseries of the John Le Carre novels Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People. Some people thought they had slow-paced plots, but I thought it was necessary to show how George Smiley solved the mysteries, step by step.

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    Oh and Avatar... It was too long, and when everyone stood up and gaving like a standing ovation I just wanted to sprint for the exit
    Avatar was a boring, predictable piece of crap. It was a beautiful, boring, predictable piece of crap, but it was still a boring, predictable piece of crap. I could predict every single plot development in that movie at least 30 minutes in advance.

I don't have an issue with the hero's journey, but for God's sake, put a fresh spin on it. James Cameron has no fucking clue how to do subtlety; all his scripts are filled with cliche characters, cartoon heroes and villains. (It's one reason I think Alien is a superior film to Aliens, although I wouldn't call the sequel a bad movie; it still had more originality in five minutes than Avatar did throughout its whole runtime.) The characters in the Star Wars prequels are nuanced in comparison.
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!