User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

TV:
    How I Met Your Mother
    I kind of like The Walking Dead, but I find the first 3 seasons overrated. (Haven't seen S4.)

Movies:
    Crash
    Black Swan - The idea was interesting and I think there was a lot of potential there, but IMHO it ended up as the cinematic equivalent of a Lady Gaga concert. (Okay, maybe not that bad...) Maybe I'm just too dense to get it (and admittedly I've only seen it once), but I found this movie kind of emotionally hollow, conceptually simple, and pretentious. (I like Aronofsky's Requiem for a Dream, but the ending has the same problem of waving the drama and tragedy in the audience's face to the point where it just feels manipulative and that dulls the emotional impact.)
    Star Wars

Edit: I forgot The Notebook
    Last edited by Flâneuse; 08-10-2014 at 10:53 AM.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria
    With the same topic, The Pianist is a much more moving and well executed movie.
    I heard Harvey Keitel is nekkid in this one, so I'm avoiding it.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    TV:
    Movies:
    Crash
    Black Swan - The concept itself was interesting and I think there was a lot of potential there, but IMHO it ended up as the cinematic equivalent of a Lady Gaga concert. (Okay, maybe not that bad...) Maybe I'm just too dense to get it (and admittedly I've only seen it once), but I found this movie kind of emotionally hollow, conceptually simple, and pretentious. (I like Aronofsky's Requiem for a Dream, but the ending has the same problem of waving the drama and tragedy in the audience's face to the point where it just feels manipulative and that dulls the emotional impact.)
    Ditto about Star Wars.
    Ditto about Crash, the most terrible Oscar winner I could think of They gave it to Crash that year so Brokeback Mountain could not win.

I've been a big fan of Darren Aronofsky from day one, and I was fairly disappointed with Black Swan. The ideas and the message were there, but the characters were just not convincing enough. Now he made this big-budget blockbuster Noah that I haven't bothered to watch yet.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I heard Harvey Keitel is nekkid in this one, so I'm avoiding it.
    I mean The Pianist. Are you talking about The Piano?

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria
    I mean The Pianist. Are you talking about The Piano?
    Sorry, I was thinking "the Piano".
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Homeland... it was okay, but really didn't leave an impression.

There must be more, but I somehow can't think of any right now.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

MOVIE SERIES
    • The Matrix
    • Lord of the Rings and (especially) The Hobbit
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • Quentin Tarantino movies
      • Seriously, are the fun action sequences really worth having to wait through all the characters spending hours of talking about movie trivia that I could look up on IMDb?

• Most David Lynch movies
      • He's Michael Bay with no budget or pyrotechnics.

• Scary Movie
      • Only the third one was remotely funny.

MOVIES
    • 2001: A Space Odyssey
      • Why does this movie get a free pass for essentially being a special effects demo reel? It can't be good because the story was good, because the story made no sense until 2010 came out 16 years later. So the next time you bash movies for being too dependent on special effects, think of this one.

• The Silence of the Lambs
      • Dammit, I love the movie, but you have to admit, it hasn't aged well. Anthony Hopkins is a ham in this (though it worked well in Hannibal).

• Star Trek Into Darkness
      • What is this doing with a fresh rating on the Tomatometer? I understand that there have been some bad Trek films, but none of them legitimately pissed me off for their lack of inspiration like this one.

• Gravity
      • I'm sorry, but Sandra Bullock is the stupidest astronaut ever. How did NASA allow her in space?

That's all I got for now...

MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    MOVIE SERIES
    • The Matrix
    • Lord of the Rings and (especially) The Hobbit
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • Quentin Tarantino movies
      • Seriously, are the fun action sequences really worth having to wait through all the characters spending hours of talking about movie trivia that I could look up on IMDb?

• Most David Lynch movies
      • He's Michael Bay with no budget or pyrotechnics.

• Scary Movie
      • Only the third one was remotely funny.

MOVIES
    • 2001: A Space Odyssey
      • Why does this movie get a free pass for essentially being a special effects demo reel? It can't be good because the story was good, because the story made no sense until 2010 came out 16 years later. So the next time you bash movies for being too dependent on special effects, think of this one.

• The Silence of the Lambs
      • Dammit, I love the movie, but you have to admit, it hasn't aged well. Anthony Hopkins is a ham in this (though it worked well in Hannibal).

• Star Trek Into Darkness
      • What is this doing with a fresh rating on the Tomatometer? I understand that there have been some bad Trek films, but none of them legitimately pissed me off for their lack of inspiration like this one.

• Gravity
      • I'm sorry, but Sandra Bullock is the stupidest astronaut ever. How did NASA allow her in space?

That's all I got for now...
    Cannot agree more on Space Odyssey, Star Trek, Pirates of Caribbean (I never even finished the first one, fell asleep) and Gravity (Sandra Bullock is usually terrible in dramas, and this time in drama-scifi. So many sappy scenes and convos)

About David Lynch, even though I do love his series Twin Peaks a lot and I did enjoy Mulholland Drive, most of his stuff put me to sleep. I do see how he's considered to be one of the most influential and original filmmakers of all time, but I just can't say he's my favorite director. Stanley Kubrick and he give me headaches, though I highly appreciate their visions and imageries. David Lynch, however, appears to be condescending, self-absorbed and pretentious in other aspects. He has some talents in music too though.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    [*]He's Michael Bay with no budget or pyrotechnics.

I get not liking David Lynch, but have you seen anything other than Dune? At his best, he is to movies what Dali is to painting. He's a Surrealist, basically, and even comes up with ideas through similar methods. I definitely understand hating that, but it's really nothing like Michael Bay.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I get not liking David Lynch, but have you seen anything other than Dune? At his best, he is to movies what Dali is to painting. He's a Surrealist, basically, and even comes up with ideas through similar methods. I definitely understand hating that, but it's really nothing like Michael Bay.
    Yeah, I see that as an odd analogy too.

I think Aronofsky movies are all generally worth watching, although IMO black swan is superior to noah. What I didn't get about black swan is why it was popular in general circles; I saw it as a niche movie.

As a similar example, I liked inception but have no clue how it became the summer fad.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft