First 61415161718 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    Did I even watch the same series? Because Breaking Bad is all about how integrity deteriorates.
    Potentially -- although there's a legitimate question of whether it's more a gradual corruption or more an erosion of the veneer that overlaid those elements in Walt's character to begin with. But that's why he's called Heisenberg, and the quantum/dual self.

my thoughts on breaking bad (spoilered just cuz it's kind of a tangent):

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

Movies

Almost Famous
    Magnolia
    Juno
    Superbad
    The Hangover
    Bridesmaids

Shows

Friends
    How I met Your Mother
    The Big Bang Theory

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    And the way yhe husband gets caught is too soon and too sad. Yes yes that was where they could have lengthen it, catching the husband, finding evidence of his involvement.
    I love Fargo, and that's actually my favorite scene in the movie. The pathos that William H. Macy conjures up in that scene is astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Breaking Bad. Seriously, the middle class romantic delusions about SELLING METH honestly makes me hate people. Almost as much as that movie called Good People or something like v that, where the people aren't good at all but capitalize on their neighbors murder, then wonder why bad things are happening to them. I don't know if Americans are morally bankrupt or just stupid
    I don't think that just because people loved the show means they thought Walt was a good person or that he was justified. It was just an amazing show that depicted something horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    I did see Life of Pi in 3D. However great cinematography can be never enhanced or achieved with 3D. I am a cinematography kind of girl. I certainly will be entertained with a 3D movie, but I most likely forget about any movie an hour after watching it if the story telling and/ or the cinematography don't measure up.
    But...Life of Pi won the Oscar for cinematography. Now, a lot of that award is actually for the VFX, since many Academy members can't tell the difference. But for the purposes of this discussion, that's irrelevant. It's a visually stunning film that was enhanced by 3D. I think too many films employ 3D that's not justified, but this isn't one of them.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    But...Life of Pi won the Oscar for cinematography. Now, a lot of that award is actually for the VFX, since many Academy members can't tell the difference. But for the purposes of this discussion, that's irrelevant. It's a visually stunning film that was enhanced by 3D. I think too many films employ 3D that's not justified, but this isn't one of them.
    Oh I was referring to other movies when I mentioned cinematography.

I agree that Life of Pi was stunning. I myself was impressed.
    However I tend to pay a great deal of attention to the camera work aspect of cinematography, raw and real.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Amélie

Have I mentioned it?

Everyone loves it. I hated it. It started off well, lovely cinematography and witty. But then the artsy French sense of humor just bugged me immensely.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Recktor View Post
    Superbad

What don't you like about Superbad?
    Likes Opal, Surr liked this post

I always found The Wizard Of Oz disturbing rather than the fantasy wonderland everyone else thought it was. Glinda gave me the creeps.

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    I liked the God Father 1 and esp 2. I don't see any females complaining about it. I am still kinda concerned whether i like it mainly because it appeals to the i-want-to-be-a-crime-boss-who-is-above-the-law part of tbe male brain.

The second was better tha the first.

Complaints ladies?
    I can't complain about movies I have never seen.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Looper (2012) - another film I wanted to enjoy however it left me agitated since it received a lot of praise. It was predictable, you knew the end before you saw it. I genuinely don't understand why people love it. I'm reminded of a commercial form of Primer (2004) barring the realistic approach (Looper is too sugar-coated). I loved Primer, though I couldn't exactly follow it.
    Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

MBTI
    IDFK

I never cared much for Gladiator, plotlines like that (zero effort put into the story to make it differ from the gazillion other stories with exactly the same plotline) make me cringe. Also, it was far too pompous and pretentious for my taste as well. Same goes for Avatar and How To Train Your Dragon. Like, I have nothing against doing a story that's completely unoriginal but at least give it something new, a twist maybe or another standpoint to look at it. When I watched Monsters University and realized it's gonna be your basic "zero to hero", I was groaning in frustration, but I ended up loving it for the simple reason that they actually twisted the story a bit and actually made it quite fresh and new. And it was kinda funny as well.

Another movie I didn't like quite as much as everyone else was The Dark Knight, but to be honest I see why people like it and I agree that it's a really well made film and I liked it too, I just wasn't blown away by it as much as other people seemed to be. The same goes for The Avengers. I think they're both awesome but I never got that into them.

Hobbit was a bit too dragging for my taste and it was too faithful to the book to the point of being repetitive (run into troube-try fighting-try to run away-shit that didn't work let's fight again-Gandalf) and I was confused what was the target audience for the movie. What works in a book might not work in a movie and when you make a movie adaptation you should always be very mindful of that. I think Peter Jackson wasn't mindful enough and it ruined the film a bit for me.
    Last edited by Surr; 11-09-2014 at 02:09 AM.