User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    I never understand the hype for 3D movies. Just never do. 3D never makes a movie any better for me.
    The hype irritated me too, Arctic, but every now and then a good film will be in theatres and everyone'll tell you to see it 3D and it'll be worth it. Did you see Life of Pi in 3D? That was incredible, I completely forgot I was in the theatre. Iron Man 3 in 3D was boring (aside from scene where they're falling from the airplane). Reviewers usually tell you whether it's worth seeing 3D. Like these guys, not a fan of them but they're honest about 3D films.

I was excited about Tron: Legacy simply because the soundtracks by Daft Punk was too magnificent.
    Essentially just a long Daft Punk music video and "light show for the eyes" (Roger Ebert RIP).

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Why is this exactly? Do you find something about movies with large budgets inherently distasteful, or do you find that most people just aren't very good at making them?
    There are movies with large budgets that I find entertaining. However, essentially, what can make a movie brilliant is a well written script, unique story-telling technique, good performance, and striking cinematography. To achieve this, it requires skills, talents and dedication rather than gigantic budget. Usually, when a director has a huge amount of money in their hands, they spend it on equipments and the visual labs and bigger stars who probably choose the roles for the money and the attention they brings.
    People love big loud beautiful things that overwhelm their eyes and ears. Usually these effects come hand in hand with predictable plots, mediocre acting and mediocre cinematography (not to be confused with visual effects). If something is understood and loved by everyone, quite often, there's nothing groundbreaking or challenging about it. These kinds of movies I go to with a large group of friends where enjoying arts is not the priority, or I watch on airplanes during long-haul flights.

There ARE a few big budget films I find artistically satisfying too. A very few.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    The hype irritated me too, Arctic, but every now and then a good film will be in theatres and everyone'll tell you to see it 3D and it'll be worth it. Did you see Life of Pi in 3D? That was incredible, I completely forgot I was in the theatre.
    I did see Life of Pi in 3D. However great cinematography can be never enhanced or achieved with 3D. I am a cinematography kind of girl. I certainly will be entertained with a 3D movie, but I most likely forget about any movie an hour after watching it if the story telling and/ or the cinematography don't measure up.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Fi?

Breaking free from social and legal constraints is something a lot of people wish for or fantasize.
    No way buddy. I am as liberal as they come, I live very freely and encourage individualism. That show and movie are about doing sick evil things that hurt other people on flimsy rationalization, just to get money. They are shining examples of what's wrong with American people, it's utterly narcissistic to do such dark things and still think you are a "good person" just because you have a family. There's a message there, something about American people having no conscience about harming socially unacceptable people because they themselves are bourgeois.

Thelma and Louise or Weeds are about breaking free of conventional norms. Breaking Bad and Good People are about bad people.

Meth isn't pot, it isn't even ecstasy, it's a horrific drug, the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    No way buddy. I am as liberal as they come, I live very freely and encourage individualism. That show and movie are about doing sick evil things that hurt other people on flimsy rationalization, just to get money. They are shining examples of what's wrong with American people, it's utterly narcissistic to do such dark things and still think you are a "good person" just because you have a family. There's a message there, something about American people having no conscience about harming socially unacceptable people because they themselves are bourgeois.

Thelma and Louise or Weeds are about breaking free of conventional norms. Breaking Bad and Good People are about bad people.

Meth isn't pot, it isn't even ecstasy, it's a horrific drug, the worst.
    Reg breaking bad -

The writers actually do a good job making viewers have conflicted feelings. Initially they make us feel so frustrated 'for' him that we wish he would succeed at selling meth. Then as the show progresses they make the character power hungry and greedy and unlikeable. Yes unlikeable.

He also confesses that he did what he did for his amusement to his wife. Also he could have asked his friends to help him. He refuses and even gets mad. At that moment the viewers although would feel frustrated would understand what he was doing. But later we realize he refuses help because is arrgant/big headed etc. I think overall the writers were trying to make the viewers feel disappointed about his ethical choices but feel somewhat respectful for his tact.

They do a good job i think making us feel -
    frustrated at his circumstances,
    admire his skill,
    disappointed/disgusted with his actions and
    finally feel sorry for everything that has happened to him and what he has done.

I didn't think you were a liberal.

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Did I even watch the same series? Because Breaking Bad is all about how integrity deteriorates.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    Likes riva liked this post

Did I even watch the same series? Because Breaking Bad is all about how integrity deteriorates.
    This.
    Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Reg breaking bad -

The writers actually do a good job making viewers have conflicted feelings. Initially they make us feel so frustrated 'for' him that we wish he would succeed at selling meth. Then as the show progresses they make the character power hungry and greedy and unlikeable. Yes unlikeable.

He also confesses that he did what he did for his amusement to his wife. Also he could have asked his friends to help him. He refuses and even gets mad. At that moment the viewers although would feel frustrated would understand what he was doing. But later we realize he refuses help because is arrgant/big headed etc. I think overall the writers were trying to make the viewers feel disappointed about his ethical choices but feel somewhat respectful for his tact.

They do a good job i think making us feel -
    frustrated at his circumstances,
    admire his skill,
    disappointed/disgusted with his actions and
    finally feel sorry for everything that has happened to him and what he has done.

I didn't think you were a liberal.
    I am liberal in the sense that I allow people freedom to choose their own morals as long as it doesn't harm others.

People watched this show for SIX SEASONS and sympathized and rooted for Hank. That's bullshit. It reminds me of how disgusted my ESFJ ex got with his parents back in the day for rooting for Tony Soprano.

It troubles me that American adults even need to go through such a morality play for such an extended time, that they accept horrible disgusting things as long as a homely teacher with cancer and a disabled child does them, because they think he's the underdog? No, he's a middle class person who will stop at nothing to maintain the financial status quo. I can tell you right away if someone told me I was going to die, harming others would be the last thing I would do, and if one of my family members did such a thing I would do everything to stop them.

The fact that people accept his circumstances as an excuse really bothers me, especially when they aren't usually so quick to forgive dealers trying to survive in the ghetto.

And that Good People movie just offended my intelligence. It's not just immoral but stupid "yar her derp let's rob a murder scene so we can live in a house instead of an apartment. "

I think my frustration underlying is with what it indicates about greater cultural norms. I don't watch Dexter either. I am a horror fan, but I don’t think that's cute at all.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If that was the point of the show it could have been over in a half hour. Someone like that has no integrity to begin with, they're just passive. Big difference. Passive =/= nice or good.

Game of Thrones. To me it's like a soap opera that's a little too nasty.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    In the case of Mulholland Dr., I thought it was so bad that I have a pet theory that it's David Lynch's joke on film critics. He's a universally acclaimed director, and I think he may have deliberately made an obtuse movie that makes no sense just to show that critics are lazy and have preconceived ideas about the work of certain directors.
    My understanding is that it was supposed to be a TV show that fell through during production, and he cannibalized footage and/or story to make the movie. So the disjointed nature of it wouldn't be surprising to start with.

There are movies with large budgets that I find entertaining. However, essentially, what can make a movie brilliant is a well written script, unique story-telling technique, good performance, and striking cinematography. To achieve this, it requires skills, talents and dedication rather than gigantic budget. Usually, when a director has a huge amount of money in their hands, they spend it on equipments and the visual labs and bigger stars who probably choose the roles for the money and the attention they brings.
    While it doesn't happen all the time, that is my fear too and I've seen it happen before with directors I love. (I'm an Aronofsky fan, for example; and while I didn't think Noah was a bad movie, it's one of the lesser Aronofsky movies out there. I also think Nolan's earlier works were consistently better than his more recent ones and I totally hated TDKR, although I'm hoping Interstellar is a move back towards his roots. I can go on, but I'm preaching to the choir.)

I did see Life of Pi in 3D. However great cinematography can be never enhanced or achieved with 3D. I am a cinematography kind of girl. I certainly will be entertained with a 3D movie, but I most likely forget about any movie an hour after watching it if the story telling and/ or the cinematography don't measure up.
    I didn't see Life of Pi in 3D in the theater but now wish I had. (I can watch it at home in 3D on my plasma... I expect it to be pretty amazing even on the smaller screen because in 2D it was just beautiful.)

3D has become a kind of gimmick, unfortunately -- both to draw people + to increase movie revenue due to higher ticket costs. Not all movies are worth 3D, and you can also do a terrible job creating a 3D movie (where the film experience is not really enhanced by it). We can probably blame James Cameron for the 3D revival, due to the success of Avatar -- and in that case, the film WAS enhanced by 3D but the story and lead actor were pretty thin. Or Gravity, which was mentioned earlier; this was SO worth seeing in 3D in an IMAX theater (because 3D was used to create depth and space, versus making things pop out of the screen... I was awed), but again the movie is essentially plot without much characterization and there's really only 2 characters that get any screen time.

The Croods in 3D? Urrkrkkkk....
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post